Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 25th, 2003, 10:01 PM
Doug S

Default Waiting on Prices

Okay ALL-
Another Question! Who has waited and seen what they could get for the last minute deals? Did it work out for you?
I'm trying different things this year. Last year (first cruise) booked with a TA in November for a FEB. Cruise. The Prices I have seen are $400 less now, then what I booked last year!!!
Right now we are looking to go the first week of March. Don't really Care where or with Who....Just wanna go.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2003, 06:32 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Waiting on Prices

I watched my cruise right up until the last day it was listed, and the price only went up for me. From what I have read here, if the price drops, you can sometimes get the money back, or a nice upgrade.
Old December 26th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Passenger

That is true.
If you notice the price drops, a phone call will get you the lower price.
Old December 27th, 2003, 10:52 PM
Yeoman

jakieemma:

Didn't you just state on another thread (Carnival and Travel Agents, I believe) that in this scenario a client of yours would not get the lower price? Or do I misunderstand? Which I admit is quite possible...I'm very confused.

I have booked a cruise via a TA. Just a few days ago I found the same cruise (same sail dates. same ship and cabin type) for approximately $32 p/person less than the price I booked last September. Who gets the $32?
Old December 27th, 2003, 11:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Rebel... the question would be if you found the lower price on Carnival's web site, or being offered by some other travel agent.

If another agent is advertising it cheaper, it doesn't necessarily mean that Carnival reduced the price, and therefore there's no savings to be had.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 29th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Waiting on Prices

Sorry for the confusion...

Here is the post...
<So you, the client, notice the cruise has dropped.
Let's say the price drops from 800. to 725. (150 dollars less than they saw when they booked)....They STILL have a better deal, because I only charged them 1440.
I would be able to get the $$$ for the price dropping, money I already gave the clients.
Understand?
It is a win win situation for the client and myself. If the price never drops, or even increases...I still make 60. and my client gets a price that can't be beat.

The client would reap the rewards only if the price fell below what they paid me. >

The last line is key

If you see a cruise on Carnivals web site for, lets say , 800 dollars. You decide to price out a T. A. so you call me. I see the same price as you when I check. I know that I get, let's just say, 15% commision. I know I have to pay Carnival 1360 dollars. (800. x 2 less my 240. commision) So I can now sell that cruise for what ever price I want, As long as I sell it above 1360. I make money.
I tell you I can get you that cruise for 1400 dollars. 200 below what you saw on Carnival !
You buy it.
A week later we notice the price drops. The cruise that was once 800. is now 725.
I would call Carnival and get the refund from the reduction.(150.) I pocket that.

Remember, I paid Carnival 1360 based on 1600., less my commision. So a price drop would also drop the amount I needed to pay Carnival.

The client only paid 1400. for a cruise that is now 1450 !!!!
They still paid LESS....so the drop does not matter.
IF the price droped to 650, my client would get 100 dollars BACK...because the drop was BELOW what they paid for the cruise.
In the end...I would make 190. dollars, NOT from my client ( I only made 40 dollars off them) but from Carnival, for the price drop.

Understand?

If the price never drops, I only make 40.
BUT my client loves me, because they got the cruise for 1400.
Old December 29th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Passenger

<I have booked a cruise via a TA. Just a few days ago I found the same cruise (same sail dates. same ship and cabin type) for approximately $32 p/person less than the price I booked last September. Who gets the $32?>

You do..call your TA and he should take care of it.

That is why it is so important to watch the prices. Most TA won't tell their client, unless the client notices and calls.
Old December 29th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Jackie... so you're gambling that the client won't know that Carnival has reduced it's price, and you can make more. Do you inform them when they book that if the price goes down that discount is yours? Or do you keep that a secret?

Considering how easy it is to check on price reductions now I'd think you could end up with more clients unhappy than happy. Wjhen they realize the probably could have got possibly bought that cruise elsewhere for maybe $1250 when the price dropped.

Carnival may be issuing you the check, but they are doing so with the clients money.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 29th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Passenger

<Jackie... so you're gambling that the client won't know that Carnival has reduced it's price>

Abolutely not...like I have said before, IF THE PRICE FALLS BELOW WHAT THEY PAID, THEY GET THAT MONEY. I am gambling that the commision that I gave to the client. at the time of booking, will be recouped after the price drops. Read the scenario again.

<Do you inform them when they book that if the price goes down that discount is yours? Or do you keep that a secret?>

I inform them that if the price goes lower than what I charged them, they would be entitled to a refund. Sometimes I miss a drop that a client picks up. So I encourage them to keep an eye on the price.

<Carnival may be issuing you the check, but they are doing so with the clients money.>

They issue me the check because it is MY money.
Again, when I book a cruise, the amount due to Carnival is the cruise price, less my commision.

If you still are confused, let me know...I am in no way the bad guy ...
Old December 30th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Waiting on Prices

Jackie,
While I don't think you are a "bad guy" I am not sure that you aren't being ethically a little dishonest in my opinion. If I paid a certain price for a cruise say $1000 and the price dropped on the cruiselines website from $1200 to $1100 or $100 dollars I would be wanting that $100 price drop as I know it is costing you $100 less. If I didn't get it you would not get my business again and may well not keep it for that cruise if I can find someone that will give me the same or even a slightly higher price than yours. Matter of principal.
Jim

Old December 31st, 2003, 11:44 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Waiting on Prices

Let me get this straight...

You pay 1000 dollars for a 1200 dollar cruise, then notice it is 1100 dollars and you want money?

Why in the world would you be entitled to money when you still paid LESS than what it is listed????

I am trying to understand your reasoning, but have concluded that you have no idea what I am talking about.

I will try one more time.

You see Carnival has a cruise for 1200 dollars...you call a TA and he tells you he can sell you that cruise for 1000 dollars.
Why can he sell it for that price?
Because when a TA calls the cruise line, the cruise line only charges him for the cruise amount minus commission...so they want 1000 dollars from the TA. 1200 minus his 200 dollar commission.
Now he sells it to you for COST.

The price drops 100 dollars, but you STILL paid 100 dollars lower than listed.
Why would you expect to pay 100 UNDER cost?????

The reduction goes to the TA because he passed his commission to you at the time of sale.
If the price drops below 1000, you would have a gripe, because you paid more than what it is now listed.

In your scenario, the TA would LOSE money.

ALL TA's work the same way when they book cruises.

How do you think different TA's come in at different prices?

<<I would be wanting that $100 price drop as I know it is costing you $100 less.>>

It cost me 100 less, but I already gave you 200.
I have now only made 100 dollars on a cruise where I am entitled to 200 dollars commission.
YOU got the 200 dollars at the time of the sale.

I challenge you to find ANY Carnival cruise where you can get it for 15% less than listed on Carnival's web site.
Old December 31st, 2003, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Waiting on Prices

Jackie, Do not challange me to something like that as it can easily be done. Experianced cruisers know how the system works and know when the price drops on the website it drops for the agent as well and because you pay less, we should also pay less. That is the world of business. This is also how every TA that I have bought a cruise from has done. You are not entitled to the extra $100, you are entitled to a percentage of the cost of the cruise, no matter if it is $5,000pp or $250pp
Jim

Old January 2nd, 2004, 09:57 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Waiting on Prices

You don't need to be an expeirnced cruiser to understand simple logic.

I have tried to explain how it works. You still think you deserve a refund for a price higher than what you paid...good luck in the real world.

I have been selling cruises for years, below any competitors price, so I must be doing something right. Word of mouth has made me one of the best local TA's in Eastern Mass.

Like I said before, the first thing I tell clients is to shop around, and I will beat the price they find.

Good luck to you, and your TA.

Victory 1-25 th
(800.00 pp Cat 11)
Old January 2nd, 2004, 12:05 PM
Admiral

I understand your logic. You are gambling your commission that the price drops so you make your money on the reduction. You're also gambling the customer will not bolt on you when he sees the price reduction and decides to book with someone else.

I don't have a problem with this.

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 3rd, 2004, 07:52 PM
Passenger

<I understand your logic. You are gambling your commission that the price drops so you make your money on the reduction.>

I gamble my commission because I would rather make 50.00 and have a happy ,steady, REPEAT customer, not to mention word of mouth (which has gotten me max possible commision % from Carnival)

<You're also gambling the customer will not bolt on you when he sees the price reduction and decides to book with someone else. >

Like I said before..if the price drops below the listed price, the customer would get the reduction. I make it a point to show the price drop when I mail their tickets. I am bragging that they are paying less through me than through Carnival.

So why would you book with someone else if the price you paid is LESS than the price listed AFTER the drop ?

I feel bad for your TA.
According to you, if he makes 50.00 on you, and the price drops below what he charged you, he makes NOTHING. And the price drops below what you pay OFTEN, especially if booked early.

So, either your TA is in business to lose money..or you have no idea how the industry works.

Just for giggles I called ************* today, and *********** just now.

BOTH said I would only be entitled to refunds if the price drops below what I pay.

Why do you think Carnival sends the refund to the TA and not the cruisers?
Because they have no idea what you were charged for the cruise.

Do some homework.

Have a safe weekend, hope you a cruising soon.

22 days to Victory
76 day to Mariner