Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2003, 03:40 AM
Default Curious To Know

I asked this ??? on another message board got no reply so I'll ask it here. Thanksgiving weekend we had a storm go thru the Hawaiian Islands and on the news they showed the Infinity just rocking and rolling on the huge waves just outside of Hilo and I wanted to know when this happens, does the ship still try to go to it's scheduled port?? I've never been on a cruise before so this may sound like a stupid question but I still would like to know. Mahalo(Thank you)
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2003, 08:22 AM
First Mate
Default Re: Curious To Know

Ships, ports, storms, and captains vary. There's no absolute answer to your question. I'm sure every reasonable effort is made to complete the planned itinerary. But, if the captain determines this may endanger his passengers, crew or ship, he has the discretion to make changes as he sees fit. It's his call and his authority would be absolute.
Old December 28th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Default Re: Curious To Know

GJG has pretty much summed it up. It is the Capt's call. If they dock they much make sure that the dock is protected enough that the ship will not batter itself or have lines part. (This is one of the big problems in Costa Rica as that dock is unprotected). Secondly if they tender they must make sure that the swells are not so high as to create a danger to the passengers tendering in both loading and unloading the tenders as well as the tender ride itself.

24 cruises and counting!