Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2004, 08:58 AM
M. Gray

Default Tipping

Have cruised other lines and have been able to have the tipping removed from my S&S card so that I could personally hand the tips (cash) to the appropriate personnel.

How hard is it on Carnival to get this done? Will there be a hastle? I just want my 5 envelopes to hand out.
Any feedback will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Denis

Default Re: Tipping

We prefer to personally tip as well. On the Conquest last year, we just went to the purser's desk, and had them remove the tips, and got some envelopes. No problem whatsoever.

Personally, I think that the auto tipping policies adapted by the cruiselines has caused a decline in service, but I understand the need to do this. I've noticed over the last 5-10 years, with the growth of cruising, that many people do not recognize the value of the service recieved from all those who provide it. I believe the cruiselines have been forced to adopt these inane policies in order to remain competitive in the job market.

I'm with you, I just want my envelopes to hand out!!
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

We just returned from the Triumph. We asked our Steward, Eduardo (Eddie), who was absolutely wonderful if he preferred cash to the automatic tipping. He said is didn't matter as he received the money either way. We just left it to the automatic. We did, however, win a bottle of champagne during the Game Show, and since we don't drink we asked if he would like it. We weren't sure if they were allowed to receive such things. He stated he would take it even though he doesn't drink. He said he would share it with some of the other stewards to enjoy on New Year's Eve.

Melissa

02/13/05 Carnival Miracle
12/27/03 Carnival Triumph
02/15/03 Carnival Inspiration

Old January 7th, 2004, 10:40 AM
MichelleM

All you have to do is ask them to remove the tips at the pursers desk and ask for the envelopes. They will have no problem helping you.
Old January 7th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Admiral

No problem at all. Just go to the Pursers desk and let them know you prefer to tip personally and have them remove the tips from your S&S account. We too believe in the personal approach and do not want the auto-tipping.
Jim

Old January 7th, 2004, 11:12 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Melanie

We have only been on two cruises in the past. One was with auto-tipping, one without. The service on the one without the auto-tipping was far better in areas of where tips are concerned. On our first cruise, our room steward seemed to be always right outside our door every time we stepped out, ready to see to our every need. On this last cruise, I never even met our room steward. She was just never around.

Our dining room staff was pleasant, very nice to talk to but the service was not comparable at all to our first cruise. The head waiter and the assistant both spoke the same language and it was very apparent, from the tone of voice, that they were having some problems. I may not speak the language but I can tell when two people are arguing. That may have contributed to lack of service also.

Since we are not very experienced cruisers yet, we really weren't sure if this last cruise, while still wonderful, was not as good as the first because of the new tipping policy or because on the first cruise we didn't know what to expect and really had no expectations at all. On this next cruise, hubby wants to have the auto-tipping removed and hand out the tips personally but I wonder if that would really produce better service throughout the cruise or will we be looked at as cheapies, trying to get out of a tipping and not receive good service at all.

I guess we will have to go on many, many more cruises to make comparisons...hey, any excuse to go, huh?

Melanie

Paradise - January 2009

Paradise - April 2008
Carnival Pride - Nov 2007
Paradise - Sept 2005
Carnival Pride - Nov 2004
Ecstasy - Jan 2004
Carnival Pride - Nov 2003
Elation - Nov 2002