Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Passenger

Default Price reduced after purchase?

After purchasing my cruise a couple of months ago the price has gone down. Is this normal, can I recoup the difference? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Richard
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2004, 10:39 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Price reduced after purchase?

Check with your travel agent. Sometimes you can get part or all of the difference taken off your bill...other times they'll give you a credit on your sail and sign card. It can't hurt to ask.
Old January 7th, 2004, 10:53 PM
chloe1

Hi Richard,

This is best case scenario first...."Most" Cruise lines will honor new prices even if you are inside or outside of penalties. However the industry is forever changing...and policy's will change periodically. Also.... every cruise line has their own "Rules". (i.e. policy)

You can get your rate adjusted "most of the time". When your outside of penalties. A few cruise lines will state on the "new cruise promotion" that it is a "promo" for "New bookings Only". There is ways around this...You need to be "out side" of penalties and make sure that the "travel agency" you booked through doesn't have a penalty for cancellation. Then you can easily have your T.A. cancel and rebook your reservation under the NEW PROMO and just make sure the funds are transferred over to the new booking and if you have a specific cabin that it's grabbed from inventory once the booking is canceled and rebooked..A lot times the T.A will need assistance from the Cruise line to do this.
The prices usually do change and it's best to watch the sailing and the minute you see that the price goes down call your agent.

Which cruise line/ship will you be sailing and sailing date? That will help me.... Help you.

I will check back here if you have questions.

Chloe
Old January 7th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Angel

I actually just got a call tonight from Carnival, and the lady I've been working with informed me that my 3rd, 4th, and 5th passenger rates went down by a hundred dollars each. I asked her to add it to my ship board credit and (get ready for this) she said she couldn't because my final payment date had not passed so she has to mail me a check directly ($330..BUCKS). Not only did she call ME to inform me of the price reduction but then she insisted in sending me the money instead of keeping it. When I booked my cruise she promised to keep watch on the price and if it went down she would call me, but she also encouraged me to contact her weekly if I wished to check on the price. I will definitly book with Carnival and my representive directly again next time.......
Old January 7th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Price reduced after purchase?

Angel,
As far as booking with Carnival Reps, are you over all pretty happy with the way they work?? Just wondering, we live in a town that has only one TA and the town next to us has only one... personally I really don't care for either of them and was thinking after I get done paying and dealing with our current TA on this cruise it maybe the last time for her... I have read from alot of boards that say you really have to have a great TA to get the best prices and deals and the ones around here act like they hate their jobs and don't want to work..... so sad... but just thought I would ask I think it is great Carnival called you even though they wouldnt give it to you on your SS card.. at least your getting the money back, I think our TA would keep it for herself
Thanks in advance,,,,
Heather
"who might be finding a Carnival rep next time"
Old January 8th, 2004, 01:41 AM
chloe1

Angel...

I just had to respond to your post.....have you received your check from CCL yet? The reason I'm asking is because I'm a former cruise agent and as fall 2002 CCL was the one of the hardest lines I delt with. They must have changed they're policy's. My office was one of CCL's highest producing agency's and if anything needed to be done..we would alway's pull rank and with CCL and also NCL( our agency was top 10 in country with them.) to get things done...except with rate adjustment inside penalties... I'm hoping that something has changed...because they made our lives miserable with unwillingness to rate adjust and looking out for my clients needs instead of their own. Trust me I'm not here to dog them...infact I just got off the Pride Dec 7th!

I started to work with an agent at CCL that had emailed me early last year and because I later found my rate $200 lower at another agency I let them take over booking. He seemed knowledgeable. Which was nice. If it was a $2 dollar difference I would of stayed with him.

As I have extensive expierence in travel ....I've now decided to just book my own reservations from now on and not depend on an agent. I have a hard time trusting agents unless I know them personally. As my last cruise almost didn't happen because my agent never applied my final pymnt and didn't know about the error until the booking was inside penalties and was ready to cancel in 3 days....
I didn't even receive my dox until 4 days prior to departure...it was actually the day we were leaving(early). Dox would of been pier pickup .....just "One" more reason to be your own travel agent!!!!
Old January 8th, 2004, 01:43 AM
chloe1

PS ....sorry for the book and any type "O's" forgot to proof
Old January 8th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

I booked both my cruises directly through Carnival and was extremely pleased both times. They were extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and worked to get me the best price. When the price dropped on our first cruise 2 weeks before leaving, we got a reduction and credit on our sign and sail account. This time when looking for prices on the excursions, I spent close to an hour on the phone going over prices, etc.

Melissa

02/13/05 Carnival Miracle
12/27/03 Carnival Triumph
02/15/03 Carnival Inspiration

Old January 8th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Passenger

Melisa,
Thats great .... reduction 2 weeks before you leave wow.... I was kinda wondering how long I could bug my TA about price drops, and all... I thought at one time she said price adjustments as long as its 71 days prior to sailing?? Anyone know any different?
Heather
Old January 8th, 2004, 08:28 AM
jmb

I am working with Carnival directly too. The man I have been working with has been great. I called him b/c I saw that the Guantee room rate had gone down $100pp. He said he would take it off the final payment which is due next month. I booked through a TA for the first cruise and she did the same thing. If the price went down, a credit was given.
Old January 8th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Treva

I too went through Carnival. I checked a price with a local TA and then checked with Carnival. Carnival was lower. I love the lady I have been dealing with she is so patient and helpful. As a first time cruiser being comfortable with my decision has been important.
Old January 8th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Rodger

Hey sounds like you found an excellent TA how do I contact her?????
Old January 8th, 2004, 10:39 PM
First Mate

My Carnival Personal Vacation Planner found me a deal I couldn't refuse. This is the first cruise we've used him for...usually using a TA before.

As far as new policy for Carnival...that could be true...It seemed like some time in 2002 they started paying more attention to people who were checking to see if the price lowered or not. Our TA was surprised when I asked her if Carnival ever refunded money, she said yes. On one of our cruises in 2003 she managed to get us a refund.

I'm encouraged by what I've read above...hopefully, my Carnival PVP is watching out for price reductions for me, too!
Old January 9th, 2004, 04:09 AM
chloe1

I booked in high revenue for CCL and I can tell you that if your "OUTSIDE" of penalties then your fine .....the trouble happens when your "INSIDE" of penalties and the price drops. So please check with your agent at CCL and get it in writing...or you may regret it.
As of recently I was one of CCL's top producer's in the country I know. However when I read all the confusion on these posts...it makes me happy that I don't have to deal with the "he said" ..."she said", mentality....when you have a good "Cruise Agent" you truly only "Really" know what's what. So just find a Great agent and stay with them!!!

Oh and Sandy, I'm emailing my friend who works for Costco travel to verify if things have changed w/CCL in a year....I will be back to post when I hear back from her.
Old January 9th, 2004, 12:46 PM
First Mate

how did you find out the price had dropped?
Old January 9th, 2004, 12:51 PM
First Mate

I booked directly with Carnival and they are very helpful being my first cruise. She also told me I could call her anytime for any reason. She also got me a birthday party thing set up for the 2nd sail night. Even though my birthday is 2 days before I sail. She is great and her name is Jessica at 1-800-819-3902 extension 82694 and tell her Pam North told ya about her. Have fun
Old January 9th, 2004, 03:23 PM
chloe1

Hi

If you book w/CCL directly then usually they keep a eye on the sailing before final payment. If it was me though....I would moniter my sailing off their website. (Or another website.) If you find a lower rate I would talk to your agent and see if they will honor that rate...As I stated above I was working with an agent from CCL and my rate dropped by $200.00 and they wouldn't match the rate. So I transferred my reservation over to the other company. It's a trade off though...I gave up customer service to have $200.00 dollars extra in my pocket.

Chloe
Old January 12th, 2004, 07:36 PM
sidsammy

I'm glad to hear someone had good luck booking with Carnival direct. App. 3 years ago, I booked direct with Carnival and was pretty disappointed. We booked over six months early. We couldn't seem to get any upgrades. The cabin we got was over the disco or something else very loud and seemed to be near the crews quarters. We had a great time, anyway. Another cruise with Celebrity and a travel agent booking, we did better. The TA noticed the price had gone down and got us the new rate. We have a trip coming up on the Destiny in February. This was booked through Hotwire. We've noticed the price has come down considerably, but though we are trying to look into it, don't expect to get any type of adjustment.
Old January 12th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

We booked with Travelocity. The price went down recently so we called Travelocity who called Carnival who said we could get an $80.00 on board rebate on the sign and sail card. Will it happen? Who knows? We've got the documentation, but no names. I emailed Carnival directly 2 days ago. They sent a tracking number but nobody called yet. Good luck!

Norwegian Sea

Yankee Clipper Windjammer 1978
Celebration 01/04
Old January 13th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Even though I booked directly with Carnival, I checked different travel websites, etc. and kept track of the prices. If the price dropped, I called Carnival and gave them the information. That was how we got the credit on our cruise on the Inspiration. This last cruise was over Christmas, and I never saw the price go down only up.

Melissa

02/13/05 Carnival Miracle
12/27/03 Carnival Triumph
02/15/03 Carnival Inspiration

Old January 13th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Boston6

I got a price reduction of $200 and a 3 cat upgrade outside of penalty. I've been told that if you make final payment and the price goes down you get an on-board credit instead of cash refund.
Old January 15th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Kathyann3

THANKS so much for all of this information! I just called Carnival about my February cruise and I got $300 credit on ship account!!! It's like found money! More bingo and spa!!!
Old January 15th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Chloe, my situations is a little different. I know the rate went down but my TA says she can not do anything and carnival will not talk to me bc they said I have a TA . I am booked as a cruise bc we are a large family of 18 going. The current price is cheaper right now as a regular booking then a group fare which should be lower. I do not know what to do. I would loe to get the additional 200 per person credited to our sign and sign card but I have no idea how since no one will talk to me.
Have any ideas...
P.S. Next time I am booking everything on my own.
Old January 16th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Keep appealing to your TA. Maybe he/she will get the idea that future business won't be coming their way unless they help you. If the price has gone down, then they *can* help you, just at the expense of losing some money themselves.

Good luck!

dorothy
Old January 16th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Passenger

Sunshine - it sounds like you are in a similar situation to what I was in a few months ago - and we did manage to get the credit but it took some wrangling. We booked through an on-line TA because they had the best price, so we never met them face-to-face, and so learned a lesson in that respect...but at any rate, it all worked out if you'll read on...

Our category dropped by $50/person a week before we sailed. We called our TA who said that only Carnival could authorize on-board credit and if we really wanted it we should talk to them.

So we called Carnival who said we had to handle it through our TA. Now I would have given up at this point but my husband (who is very good at politely getting his way with people who claim there is nothing that can be done) explained what our TA told us and asked how we could get Carnival's authorization. After some hemming and hawing they told us they could call the TA and authorize on-board credit, but it wouldn't actually be credited until our TA confirmed that we wanted it. This was very silly but it was the only way to get what we wanted. So they called the TA and authorized it, and we had to call the TA and have them call Carnival to tell them we wanted it! So the TA did and we finally got it.

Long story short, if it's worth a few phone calls and a little bit of diplomacy and patience, go for it, and don't take no for an answer. If the price you see now is for exactly the category that you have purchased, you have a good shot at getting the on-board credit.
Old January 16th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Passenger

We have a great CCL rep and book through her at first. She keeps an eye on any price reductions as well as upgrades up until our final payment is due. Then we have it transferred to our TA (Pavlus Travel) who then gives us 10% off what we paid. After that our TA keeps an eye out for us for any more price reductions or cabin upgrades. It works great!