Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Passenger

Default Parasailing in Bahama's??

Has anyone parasailed in Nassau or Freeport? I've always wanted to do this, but while in Mexico, the hotels encouraged us not to because the operators were hardly sober and it was considered dangerous (dangerous beyond the obvious reasons of being suspended from a moving boat!).

If you've done this, how much did you pay??
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Parasailing in Bahama's??

I noticed all the shore excursion literature from the ship warns against parasailing. We thought about it, but sort of ran out of time. I've wondered if it is *really* as dangerous as Carnival would have you believe, or if it's more a matter of fear of litigation on their part.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old January 12th, 2004, 04:13 PM
jamiegunter

I have seen news reports on people dyeing from parasailing. I would not
recommend it. Things go wrong, go snorkeling or something fun The ships dont
recommend it for a reason.
Old January 12th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Parasailing in Bahama's??

Me, my husband, 15 yo son and 14 yo daughter went parasailing on Coco Cay about three years ago and I've got to tell you, it scared the daylights out of me! It was a white-knuckle ride, to be sure. I think we paid like $45 to go up 600 feet and for an extra $20 bucks they'd put you another 600 feet in the air. Of course my husband said let's go for it. Do you have any idea how far up 1200 feet is??? Literally, the boat looked to be the size of a postage stamp. All I could think about was coming loose from the harness and becoming shark bait. I love roller coasters--even went on the Stratosphere in Las Vegas at night--but I'll NEVER parasail again. (Of course, everyone else in my family thought it was awesome. Go figure.)
Old January 12th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello, I was hesitant to answer your post because I have not parasailed in the Bahamas. However, I went parasailing in Mexico, twice. Once in the 70s when I was a gorgeous skinny thing in her early 20s, in Acapulco. The hooks on the parasail were rusty and I paid $10.00. The high rises were not too far but the wind was calm.

I went again, when I was 52 years old, in Cancun, playa del Carmen. I am about twice the size now and more than double the age. I paid $55.00 for about 20 minutes. My husband stayed in the boat and was not charged for it. This was a tandem, there were 2 of us and we both loved it. We took off from the boat adn felt very safe.

The quiet above the ocean and the peace, the beautiful view, it was all worth it and too short.

I am afraid of heights but not here because you are not attached to the ground. I also had this stupid conviction that I am a good swimmer and could float back up if I detached from the chute.

If this ole' biddy did this, then you should too. If there is a problem, you make a sign with hand gestures and they will bring you down ASAP.

Wear glasses that won't fly off. I did not have mine on but someone lost theirs on take off.

It was one of the highlights of my trip. The other gal was 65 years old and she loved it too.

One down side, ... and things never change, both times, the workers on the boat made sure we knew they worked for tips.

If we only did rational things in life, then, there would be no thrill.

Let me know if you go for it. My email is josette@jemenfous.com

Good luck and happy parasailing!

Norwegian Sea

Yankee Clipper Windjammer 1978
Celebration 01/04
Old January 12th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Passenger

Fighterone,
You are my inspiration! I just hope I have the same outlook on life in 20 years that you do!! Thanks!
Old January 13th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Parasailing in Bahama's??

Thank you for the compliment. You made my day.

One more thought, about parasailing or ...life in general! I say, we work hard so we should play hard as long as the funds will allow us to!

Enjoy the sail, especially in the Bahamas, I would think they would have state of the art boat and equipment. Don't forget to email me at josette@jemenfous.com, I'd love to know whose advice you went with.

After I emailed you, last night, I asked my DH how high the chute was. He said that it was maybe at the most 100 feet. I don't know how I would have reacted at 1200 feet. That is the height of a 150 floor building with 8 foot ceilings. He thinks the person who went this high might have been mistaken. Of course, we are no experts.
josette

Norwegian Sea

Celebration 01/04
Old January 14th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Parasailing in Bahama's??

It very well could be that it was 300 feet in the air. I don't remember because I had my wits scared out of me!! I guess 1200 feet is kind of unreasonable. Whatever. It sure felt like I could reach up and touch the clouds.

Have fun parasailing! I'm happy to stay on the ground and watch with am umbrella-type drink in my hand
Old January 14th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Parasailing in Bahama's??

Always tarty, what a great name!

MNCruiser, you might call me tarty too, when you check out the high seas stories of my windjammer experience when I was 28 years old. We had a lot of fun on shore during this windjammer and I was happy with my french bread and brie cheese, out of those little ports.

It also gave us the unique opportunity to view the island of Domenica, where a couple of tourists had just been "macheteed" ( beheaded with a machete) (serious)prior to our brief one day visit. We had great frog legs there and a kid scared me by yelling "SNAKE" when we were climbing a hill looking at the vegetation. Oh what an experience that was!

MNCruiser, sorry can't help you with the post cards, wrong part of the world. How inventive of you, though! This will make a great story to remind the little ones of when they grow up and join you on a cruise.

Norwegian Sea

Celebration 01/04