Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2004, 10:02 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Doreen
Default What to do about film?

I don't know what to do about all the film I'll be taking and bringing home...I understand that it will get ruined when we go thru the aiports xray thingy...I'm gonna have film from my camcorder and my digital camera...and the disposable camera for underwater...what should I do? I heard about a lead film bag...anyone know what to do with your film so it doesn't get ruined? Thanks

Triumph 7-24-04
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2004, 10:26 PM
fun4me

Default Re: What to do about film?

We just returned on Sunday and had no trouble with our film going thru the xray machine. I just got my photos developed today and they turned out beautifully. We showed some friends our video and it was fine. I don't think you have to worry. We only went thru one xray machine at the pier while boarding.
Old July 5th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Passenger

I had the same concern when flying a while back. The airport security guard told me that most film is okay to go through the x-ray machine. I believe he said that only high speed, 800, could be in jeporady of being damaged. Most camera film is either 200-400.
Old July 6th, 2004, 11:48 AM
First Mate

When we flew in Feb we had all of our film(cameras7 disposable ones) and the guard checked them by hand because they were 800 speed and said the x ray machine would ruin them..But our digital camera and camcorder were fine...Hope that helps

Old July 6th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Admiral

I my "real " life I am an executive with a sports photography company.
Many years ago I posted a definative "thesis on this subject . But, here is the jist of it.
First, the media in your camcorder and digital camera will not in any way shape or form be harmed by xray exposure.
Now to your film. Your best bet is to have it developed before travelling home. Then no problem. Next best is to be sure not to include film in your checked baggage. The xrays used to examine checked bags will ruin your film.
Carry your film in your carry on bag. Pack it in a clear plastic bag, not in those little plastic containers, these add nothing to protection of exposed film. Ask if film can be hand examined. Not a disaster if it is not. Insist that it be hand examined if it is "fast" film, (800 speed or higher).
Lead bags shield little and look like a dark, unexplained lump in your baggage. Use of a lead bag will only insure that you get pushhed aside and have to empty out your carry on.
One , or even two passes through a carry on luggage scanner will not impact your film.