Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2004, 11:15 PM
Lynda

Default Re: DOES CARNIVAL SUCK?

Victoria,

I'm sorry to hear that you are not looking forward to our March 20th cruise. Makes me sad to think that a nice, young and lucky lady would have such a negative attitude towards the priviledge of being pampered on a cruise ship.

My daughter will turn 11 on this cruise. This will be her 6th cruise with 3 of them on Carnival. From the moment we step off of the ship--she bugs me wanting to get back on.

But, Victoria, my daughter is a very happy child, who realizes how lucky she is to have these experiences at such a young age. And, I am very proud that I can take her on board a beautiful cruise ship--and have faith that she'll know how to interact with other passengers and other children on board.

So, honey, please do us all a favor. When you sit there and sulk please don't get in our way. I'd sure hate to trip over you.

Lynda
Old January 22nd, 2004, 07:52 AM
Tuscani

Thanks Dorothy.

Elation
Old January 22nd, 2004, 09:53 AM
Lynda

Victoria,

I do have two more things to say to you, then I am done.

I would think that an intelligent young girl like you would realize that when you post a message using all caps---it's considered YELLING. That's not polite, and that's why you've received the response that you have.

And, the other thing.

When I posted my message yesterday--I wrote it as to how lucky you are to be on a ship, and about enjoying the passengers. What I failed to do was also remind you about the crew.

When we step on board the Triumph on March 20th, we enter a new and very exciting world. One of which represents many nations. The crew.

These people welcome us onto their home, and serve us with hospitality, graciousness and kindness.

When you have a crew member give you a glass of water, or hand you a towel, or even just say hello, PLEASE, try to overlook your distaste for being on board a ship--and say, in the nicest tone you have. Thank you! Don't be afraid to ask them about their families...and learn about their cultures; they'll be more than happy to share their stories with you.

And, if they don't immediately say hello, or seem like they're not having a good day--it's alright to make the first move and say hello and smile at them. You will be rewarded in so many ways for just that little bit of effort.

So, instead of looking down and inspecting the ship for stains on the carpet---look up at the bright, smiling faces that are there to greet you. You never know what you might learn.

OK? Nuff said.

Lynda
Old January 22nd, 2004, 02:38 PM
jf

I didn't know that all caps meant yelling so I guess you learn something new every day. I have been on two carnival cruises so far the Victory and the Triumph and will be cruising on the Destiny in 3 days I can't wait. I've never had a bad experience on any of the carnival ship. I have read all the negative reviews don't let it taint you trip make your own judgements. I never noticed a stained carpet but it's most likely because I could careless I was there just to have fun and enjoy the warm weather. Besides I think it's best to remember it's not the crew who is making the mess it is generally a few immature and inconsiderate guests that make a mess for everyone else.

I hope you have a wonderful time
Jessica

Ps. People are very loyal to the companies that they cruise with and will get frustrated when they think someone doesn't ask the right question. Take the positve leave the negative and enjoy.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Carpet complaints aren't unique to Carnival. I've heard them made about other ships as well. Could be because having 2,000-4,000 people a week walking on them, spilling on them and other things we don't want to mention, just *might* make for some spots and stains.

Enjoy your cruise.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old January 23rd, 2004, 11:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

I posted the same question as you and have the same concerns. First of all understand we are on a CCL message board - hence- PRO Carnival. Yes its true you get what you pay for and Carnival gets many repeat visitors because I would say, from my research, you get more for your money. Thats the reason I am chosing CCL for my first cruise. Honestly, RCCL has better reviews but indeed is much more expensive. So for the budget at hand CCL would be the better choice. I am going with a great attitude and hope for the best.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 12:30 PM
Admiral

To say RCCL is much more expensive is incorrect. I've sailed both and on some sailings either line can be the more expensive one for similar cruise. They compete directly with one another and from my experience they each do something a bit better than the other.

I will continue to cruise with the line which gives the best value for the cruise I want to take.

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 23rd, 2004, 03:36 PM
Lynda

Victoria, this is mainly for you. I feel I was maybe, a bit too hard on you.

On a cruise--as to whether or not you're going to like it.

It all depends on what you are looking for.

In October...we cruised on the HAL Zuiderdam. We took our daughter...and it was NOT the cruise for us.

Why? Not because of carpet stains---nor because of bad decorating (both I had read complaints about before we left)....but, because HAL caters to the older, more subdued crowd. There were only 25 kids on board---of which there were only about 4 girls in her age group--and 2 of them did not speak English (they spoke only German.)

We all thought the ship, however, was absolutely GORGEOUS! But, for now, HAL line is not for us. Is it a blow to HAL? Absolutely NOT! Think of it as a boat load of apples...and we were 3 oranges on there. Just didn't fit in. (however, the ice cream man on board knew my daughter loved Cinnamon ice cream--and would have a little bit behind the counter for her each day. So, it wasn't all bad. That's what I meant about being kind to the crew---they'll be your friends too.)

We've cruised on the Grand Princess last May. Again---complaints about carpet stains. Sheesh....OK, yeah, 100,000 people per year---and you're gonna get carpet stains!

But, we found Princess to be a nice, quality and 'in between' cruise line. It had some party--but it wasn't rowdy. We loved it, it was very relaxing! My daughter, who was 10 at the time---had a WONDERFUL time!!! There were several kids on board that she 'bonded' with. And, she mainly played in the pool with them all day.

We were on the Paradise 2 weeks in a row in October 2002. We found Carnival to be party and rowdy---and it was just a really active and 'young' cruise. We really had a great time.....if I had to choose between Princess and Carnival...it'd be a toss up and totally dependant on my mood. I'm not a 'party harty' person...and neither my husband nor I drink....but the music and the dancing and the activity was not only fun to join in...but it was fun to watch! One of my favorite things was the week long Survivor activities. We weren't part of them....but we sure enjoyed watching them. Again--my daughter developed friendships of some girls that she still keeps in contact with via email.

We've also been on the Disney Magic. We loved that too! And, it too had 'carpet stains'. BUT....they had the most fabulous kid program...and at the time, our daughter was 8 years old. The entertainment was more 'Disney style'.....and, if you've ever been to a Disney themepark--you know they spare no expense when it comes to entertainment. (Wow---has anybody else been as amazed as me in Anamators Palace? That was cool!)

So, to say 'loyalty' to a cruise line might be misleading. I'm not loyal to a cruise line at all! Before our daughter was born--our cruise line (well really ship) of choice was the old lady of the sea--the Norway. We sailed on her several times....and what brought us to that ship was the entertainment. One time we sailed with Frankie Avalon...the next time with Sid Ceasar. (Big names in their days.) But, back then--the Norway was 'the biggest'--it HAD these types of entertainment...and that's what we wanted. We didn't have kids then, so I can't say how young cruisers liked that ship....to be honest, I didn't even notice if there were any kids there.

So, when Victoria, when you chose to use the word 'suck' in your email....knowing that 1--you'll be on the cruise that she will be on.....and also, being privy to your age...I felt that you needed a little wake up call.

Victoria---if you want to know....there will be LOTS of girls your age on the ship. Don't worry about it!! You WILL have a good time---and I guarantee that by the end of the 7 days---you're gonna have tears streaming down your face because you are not going to want to leave your new friends....AND.....those stains on the carpet won't be a big deal.

Then, when you have somebody come up and say...did your cruise 'suck'....you'll also think that person needs a wake up call...because, you won't remember the stains--you'll remember your friends.

Come onto the ship with a good attitude. If you're shy, and afraid to approach somebody? Head to Camp Carnival---the counselors will make sure to introduce you to the other young women and young men your age. Or you can approach my daughter, even though she's a bit younger, she'll be your friend, and you guys can have fun together.

I was your age when my parents took me on my first cruise. I was hooked for life.

Lynda
Old January 26th, 2004, 03:03 PM
CruisinKelly

I got off the Triumph on 1/25/04 - I was concerned before I went with all the negative you hear - My opinion, if you think a trip on the Triumph is bad then something is wrong with you. It was the funnest vacation I have ever had (there are water marks on the carpets - my understanding is that they are from when the ship was in a hurricane quite some time ago) - the rooms were clean. Our room purser (Anthony) was absolutely wonderful, all the staff was friendly as well as all of the people we met on the ship - I think the complainers must not be out having fun as we sure didn't see any.

Have a great trip!