Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Scott and Eileen

Default 2 way radios on Cruise ships

Hi all:
We are going out on the Conquest 8 Feb. I was wondering does anyone know whar 2 way radios do or do not work on board, so we can try to keep track of the 14 year old. I see for example some "Cobras" listed in the Circuit City flier that claim 7 mile range. I do not know how this alleged range would translate on baord a ship, seeing as one would be asking the unit to transmit through many plates of steel, difficult conditions indeed.

Carnival Fascination June 02
Norwegian Sky Feb 03
Norwegian Majesty July 03
Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2004, 05:31 PM
spike

Default Re: 2 way radios on Cruise ships

7 miles !! We used radieos with a 2 mile range on the Legend. Thay were good about 90% of the time when talking interior to interior. Exterior to interior about 98%.Trouble is our 13 year old would turn it off when she didn't want to be bothered. The 7 mile radios should punch thru anywhere on the ship and beyond. We also used them on shore, so parties could split up. They even worked great from the ship to another patry on the beach within sight of the ship, about 2 miles. Saves a lot of time and arguements.
Old January 18th, 2004, 05:58 PM
debs

We had the 2 mile ones and they worked great. My 12 year old had one, although we didn't use it much, she just kept checking in every so often. I didn't think I would let her out of my site but after a day or two I felt comfortable, especially since it was her that kept having to show ME how to get around the boat. I would get lost she knew where everything was.

Victory 1/4/04
Old January 18th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Lady with Many Hats

Hey,
We had ten mile range and they were okay. We tried alot f diiferent Chanels and got interferance with alot of People. Our 14 year old daughter and her friends had a walkie talkie and they played a Joke on the security guards. Good Luck!
Dottie
Old January 18th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: 2 way radios on Cruise ships

Used 5 mile, worked most places.. just make sure tro get one thathas privacy channels, so you can select a channel and a subchannel

RCL Legend of the Seas July 1999 Alaska
NCL Majesty Feb 2003 W Carr.

Old January 18th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Saral

i took motorola 2 mile range radios with me and never had a good clear reception with them
Old January 19th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: 2 way radios on Cruise ships

We had a group of ten with four walkie talkies. It always seemed who ever it was we needed to find didn't have one on them. On Cozumel, we got separated from my brother. We called him all day and he drove around in a Taxi trying to figure out if we were at Chanakabb park or Mr Sanchos. Even when he drove right by the park we never heard him. Oh well. They were five mile range walkie talkies.
Old January 19th, 2004, 11:47 AM
spike

taymiss2, it sounds like everyone in your group did not stay on the same channel and sub-code. Always agree ahead of time on the channel and sub-code, then lock the keys so they don't change for the rest of the trip. Don't forget sub-code numbers are not always the same frequency for different manufactures. I've used my 2 mile Cherokee 14ch/46sub-code radios at Disney, and never had anyone else stepping on my frequency, and I'm talking school vacation week.
Old January 19th, 2004, 12:02 PM
spike

More tips for two way radios:
Signals are "line of sight", that means for best range you should be able to see the other person with a telescope, there is nothing between the two radios (such as accross a bay, river or field). Buildings, forests and steel bulkheads of a ship wiil cut range a lot.
Hold radio so the antenna is vertical to get best range. Signal propagate like the waves of water when a stone is droped in.
Read the instruction manual ahead of time,and bring a copy with you.
Old January 19th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Captain

Has anyone used the ones rented on the ships? I would like to try them on our next cruise?

AKcruiser

Old January 19th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

We used our fr60 Motorolas on the Conquest with no problems. They were especially wonderful in port when we all split up to shop. There were six of us and we would meet up from time to time. Nobody wants to all shop together. If we found something we knew one of the others was shopping for all we had to do was call. I would never go back without our radios.

Old January 20th, 2004, 08:50 PM
LOAV

We were a party of 7 on the Celebrity. We had 4 walkie talkies - and so did everyone else on the ship. There was one little brat who used the walkie talkie to send out threats to the general listening audience. He cursed up a storm and generally hogged the airwaves. There were multiple complaints made to the main desk about that little twit. We never found out what happened to him , but after about 4 days of filth flowing out of the radio it stopped.
We saw little ones younger than 4 hauling the walkie talkies around. The general conclusion was that they will end up being banned because of the abuse.
Old January 20th, 2004, 11:07 PM
FlyingFinn

We had Cobras that we had bought on the Inspiration in 2002. Not sure of the range but daughter and I stayed on the ship and son and hubby went on a schooner and radioed in that they were sailing past and we were able to keep in contact while they were sailing!