Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Todd Welch

Default Triumph - Just Back....

Hi.....my family and I just returned from the triumph this weekend. We sailed on Jan.10th. Our group consisted of 4 adults and 4 children (ages 8, 10, 12, 15).

I had an amazing time and had some wonderful experiences. This was my first cruise and my first time in the Carribean.

I would be happy to answer any questions.

Todd
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2004, 09:40 AM
sprocket

Default Re: Triumph - Just Back....

Hi Todd!

Thanks for the offer:

Where was your cabin located?
Was the ship overrun with kids?
How was the dreaded 'deck chair' situation?
How was the food?

Thanks!
Old January 19th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Todd, We are leaving on the same ship the 21st of Feb. We are a group of 19. Is it true that the ship is starting to look old. I have been on several ships but the rest of my group are first timers. We are on the Riviera deck with outside cabins in the middle of the ship. I hope we have great weather how was it for you. We are from up north so we want heat and no rain.
Old January 19th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Todd Welch

Default Re: Re: Triumph - Just Back....

Hi Sunshine....

I thought that the ship was pretty good considering how much use it gets and how often it actually sits still. I saw lots of cleaning and painting going on when we were at sea and in port. The carpets on most of the cabin decks are stained and have a few wear marks on them and definitely could be replaced. But I imagine this is not an easy task and would require taking the ship out of service for a few weeks. The cabins were very clean and did not seem "old". All of the public areas seemed fine to me. We were on deck 7 (Empress) in cabins 7343. It was near the middle, but towards the back alittle. Very nice location. The weather in Miami has not been great for months and it was about the same for us. Cloudy and around 70. When I left my house to fly to Miami it was -22....so seemed warm to me. The cruise weather started out cloudy but by Monday in Cozumel we had nothing but sun and 80+ weather. I just finished a review in the reader review section, so take a look at that. I am not sure how long it takes them to post it.
Old January 19th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Todd Welch

Hi Sprocket....I see you are from Ontario. I am from London.

Where was your cabin located? Empress Deck 7 - # 7343

Was the ship overrun with kids? I didn't think so....but there were a few around.

How was the dreaded 'deck chair' situation? We didn't have too many problems, but we did go up a few mornings before breakfast and put our towels on a few chairs. Most of the time there were no problems. The days at sea are the busiest.

How was the food? The best food was for sure in the dining room....we ate there every night. Only got there fore 3 breakfasts and 1 lunch. NY Deli was good if you like sandwiches....turkey, reuben, pastromi on rye. Coney Island Grill had burgers, grilled chicken on a bun, fries, hot dogs....all very good. The hong kong noodle factory was good...but I personally didn't get there very often. Pizza was good...again kids ate there a lot , but I was always too full from dinner. Buffet was almost always open and it was good for breakfast and lunch....never went there for dinner. Selection was good on the salads and deserts, but lacked a little on the hot dishes. Not great but good.
Old January 19th, 2004, 01:40 PM
sprocket

Default Re: Re: Re: Triumph - Just Back....

Hi Todd!

Yep - from close to you in Cambridge - and we are on the same deck - just down the hall a little bit!

Did you have a balcony cabin? How were the stewards? service?

We can hardly wait!
Old January 19th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Todd Welch

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Triumph - Just Back....

We did have a balcony cabin, but found we didn't use it much because our 8 year old always wanted to be up on deck in the pools or on the waterslide. Was handing being able to go out there and have a look around....sit for a few minutes. Our friends used theirs a lot more than we did.

Our room steward was ok....not outstanding like some I have heard about, but acceptable. We all felt (3 cabins) that he never really went out of his way to do anything unless of course you asked him. For example, the towels animals that this ship is famous for.....we didn't get them until I asked him to do it for the kids....but then we had them every night in all 3 cabins. Good but not great. Dining room service was excellent.
Old January 19th, 2004, 07:20 PM
L.C

You sounded like you had a great time! We will be going Febuary 21. ( My Hubby and I)We are also getting a room with a balcony. Is there alot of room in those cabins. How are the shows? Do the T.V.'s come with VCR?. How is the shopping in Cozemel? What kinds of things do they sell Thanks, L.C
Old January 19th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Trj

I was also on the Triumph last week, age 45 15th cruise, never had trouble finding a deck chair, but i did,nt need to be next to pool.
Overall a good time, no complaints from me.
Old January 20th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Todd Welch

We had tons of room in the cabin.....I understand that the triumph has some of the most spacious cabins of all cruise ships. The shows were great.....I was amazed at how they do some much on a ship. Don't miss the magic show with Kevin and Caruso. They have a new After Dark Adults Only one as well. We went to all the shows and never regretted it. Our room did not have a VCR....I think this is only suites and up.

Shopping in Cozumel is pretty good. We found the best deals at shops other than those recommended by Carnival. I think they must get a little kick back for their endorsement. Do not take the first price or the second or the third. They are all willing to barter. We saw this beautiful Tanzinite bracelet in a store and when we looked at it the original price was $5,000 US.....by the time we left we had it for $2,000 US.

Todd
Old January 20th, 2004, 11:37 AM
MasTequila

Can messages be left on the in-room telephone? Or is there some other message system available?
Old January 21st, 2004, 08:45 AM
Todd Welch

To be honest.....I have no idea. We never saw anything that indicated that was possible. The phone has no lights or method to tell you that you have a message. Maybe with the pursers desk?
Old January 21st, 2004, 07:26 PM
MIke Newburger

Hi Todd,

We're booked on this ship on 13 March, and a friend just got back last week on another Carnival ship (same itinerary). He said that San Juan was a 'wash' for no shops were open (he also said there were 2 other ships in port, but they left by the time they sailed at 11 pm). Is it worth getting off the ship for a few hours? We've been there before, but if the stores are closed...why bother?
How did you like St. Thomas and St. Martin? One island over another? Many thanks for your opinion.
Mike N.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 09:47 AM
Todd Welch

Sorry Mike....I should have been more clear.....we went to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica.....you sound as if you are going on the Eastern itinerary. I believe the ship alternates each week between western and eastern.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 11:49 AM
Lynda

Were the swimming pools open when you got on board?

We're going on March 20th...I can hardly wait!

The last two cruises on Princess and HAL...the pools WERE open. However, since those are the most recent in my mind--I can't, for the life of me, remember whether they were open when we were on the Paradise. And, I'd think I'd remember--we were on her for 2 weeks in a row!

Now....if that's not something fun!!! I'd do the back to back again in a heartbeat!
Old January 23rd, 2004, 07:39 AM
Todd Welch

Honestly, I am not sure....I think they were, but we got on early and then our friends got married on the ship at 1:30pm. We did go up to the Lido deck for lunch at 12:00pm and I think the pool looked open, but most people were off the ship and the new passengers were not on yet. I definitely saw people in the pool before dinner.

Todd
Old January 23rd, 2004, 10:19 PM
Mike Newburger

Hi Todd,

My apologies for the itinerary confusion! Sounds like you had a great time. After reading several different opinions about Carnival, nad having been on then twice before, I look forward to this cruise.
We've got a verandah cabin, which I'm looking forward to. How was the pizza or deli? thanks for your reply!

Mike
Old January 25th, 2004, 12:05 AM
ruby

My husband and I Celebrated our 25th Anniversary with a cruise on the Triumph the week of sat . Dec. 13--- sat . Dec. 20. This was our 5th cruise and our 4th on Carnival . Our ship had some problems and had to be worked on in Miami. We didn't leave till the next morning. We had a balcony cabin on the panorama deck not far from the pool.
Which was a very nice supprise from my Husband. When my husband booked the cruise he made sure they knew it was our Anniversary ,and ask them to decorate the cabin , but they never did which was a big disapointment ! Not even a cake ! Our Dinner Mates Even went to the main desk to complain and they told them that they were
aware and was going to make it right, but nothing was done . Very Disapointing!!!!!
The shows that we got to see were very good. The magic show was fantastic . Cosumel is one of my favorite stops. You can bargan shop alot here. The ship stayed over night at this port ,because of the late start from Miami. We Got off the ship the second day for a little while which was nice. Grand Cayman we went to Stingray City to swim with the sting rays. This was great don't miss it ! In jamicia we took a tour on a yaut san-san along the coast line we went snorkeling and to the beach at the bottom of Dunns River falls where you could climb the falls if you wanted to there are guides to help you . Just remember they all want tips . We had a great time in Jamicia. I feel the cleaning staff was friendly ,but not personal they were there to do a job. The waiters in the dining room were good they were there to please. Any thing you wanted just ask. Even though we had some dissapointments we enjoied our week away from every day life
Old January 26th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Todd Welch

Mike

The pizza was pretty good.....my son and firends loved it. The deli was also good, I didn't try all of the different sanwiches, but the ones I had were very good. The reuben and the turkey are pretty good. Noodle factory and the grill were also very good. The best was the dining room though....I was usually too full to eat much later on.
Old January 28th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Monique Bryan

Todd
On your response to Cassie's just back you told about booking the excursion in Jamacia with someone, well my brother-in-law tried to e-mail and he couldn't get it to go thru. Could you please type it in again? We are cruising on Triumph in June, 2nd time for some of us but we have 8 out of 16 first time cruisers. Any info would be helpful.
Thanks
Old January 29th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Todd Welch

The email address I have for Dennis is denmill@cwjamaica.com
Old January 29th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Passenger

Great to hear the cruise was fun. 19 of us, 9 kids/10 adults, are leaving on the Triumph March 27 for a week long summer break cruise. We have heard mostly good reviews but like all vacations....it is what you make it.

Our motto is "if we don't have fun, it is our own fault" and we intend to have lots of it!!