Old January 19th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Passenger

Default Where to stay in Miami the night before

My family and I are flying into Fort Lauderdale the night before we leave on the Triumph, can anyone give me suggestions on a cheap and nice place to stay. I found that a couple of places (Port of Miami Howard Johnson and the Holiday Inn) are right by the Port. Are these places good enough for one night?

Any suggestions will be helpful.
Thanks,
Richard

Post Edited (01-19-04 17:07)
Old January 19th, 2004, 06:24 PM
MasTequila

Default Re: Where to stay in Miami the night before

Look on Expedia and you can find hotels on the beach for $80. If you're telling me that and extra $20 is not worth walking up and down the beach the night before the cruise you're missing out on your fist port-of-call (Miami !!!!).
Old January 19th, 2004, 06:28 PM
First Mate

You should be able to get many places for under 100 that are on the beach or just a good place to stay. We stayed post cruise on the last cruise and stayed in south beach, it was only about 18-20 dollars to get to the port. But if you go on priceline or even hotels.com you should be able to get a decent place near the port also.

Michele

Fascination
Old January 20th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Stay away from the Day's Inn. We stayed there when we went on the Triumph over Christmas, and it was absolutely awful.

Melissa

02/13/05 Carnival Miracle
12/27/03 Carnival Triumph
02/15/03 Carnival Inspiration

Old January 20th, 2004, 10:32 AM
dayna

We just got the Hyatt Regency for Easter week on priceline for 50$ per night. Try priceline. We have also stayed at the Marriott Bicayne Bay (right at the port) 2 years ago. It was very nice.

Dayna
Old January 20th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Do NOT stay at the Howard Johnsons! It is now a crash pad for transits and the homeless and winos!
Jim

Old January 20th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Where to stay in Miami the night before

Hyatt, Doubletree, Sheraton, Mariott, INtercontinential, all are just fine and you can get good rates. If you are so inclined you can try the hotwire or priceline folks or you can try the hotels.com type of places. If you do the latter you may also call the hotel directly and see if you can get a better rate. Sometimes that is possible. The main thing is stay away from the Howard Johnsons. I would not stay there if they paid me!
Jim

Old January 21st, 2004, 08:30 AM
Passenger

What about the Holiday Inn?? No one ever mentions this hotel and it is right across from Port Miami. Am I making a mistake????

Old January 21st, 2004, 11:46 AM
JAD

kdl - I also have reservations at the Holiday Inn on April 10, 2004 We will be sailing on the Victory. I hope we have not made a mistake. It seems no one has any information or atleast not sharing if they do. I posted the question before and no one responded. Let me know how it is once you return. Thanks.
Old January 21st, 2004, 12:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Where to stay in Miami the night before

The holiday inn is very nice. I happen to know the GM who runs the place and he keeps it very clean. I will be staying there this Feb I will let you all know how it was.
Old January 21st, 2004, 01:39 PM
JAD

Sunshine - Thank you for the information. Do you know if the area is safe to walk to Bayside at night ? Bayside is right across the street right? I wanted a room with a view of the port. They said I could requested a room with a view but they can't guarantee I will get one. I thought that was kinda weird. Let me know how your stay is in Feb.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 09:32 PM
waterbum

Richard,
Bayside is an awesome place, everytime we cruise we go and walk through it. We stayed right across the street at the bayside best western. You could walk straight out the lobby, across the street and be there. We had a great experience there. If your staying in ft. lauderdale and want a great place to eat, go north to dearfield beach and eat at the whales rib. It's the best blackend prime rib in the world. And it was cheap about $12 a plate! The hotel, we payed $70 for a nice room with balcony looking at the port. They also shuttled us to the pier, it wasn't money.
Enjoy the criuse, we have, the six times we have gone.
Be safe, waterbum
Old January 26th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Where to stay in Miami the night before

I would be very interested in hearing your opinion. How close is this Holiday Inn to the port. Thanks..roni
Old January 27th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Passenger

We stayed at the Holiday Inn last January for our first cruise and will be there again in 2 weeks for the next one. It is ok for one night. I would not want to be there any longer.

Good luck, we tried the travel sites but they said the hotel was full. We called them direct and got a room for $89.00 which was $15 lower than the web sites.