Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Shopping in the Caribbean

I have heard that the best place for shopping in western C. is Jamaica, but I've also read a few articles that say Cozumel is better. What do you guys suggest? Also, I can't seem to find a really terrific tour in Grand Caymon. Any suggestions for you cruisers?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2004, 09:31 PM
cruisin

Default Re: Shopping in the Caribbean

Hi!
I went on the Sea and See tour in Grand Cayman that was offered by Carnival and we had a really good time. We got to go to Hell, shopping, Seven Mile beach, an underwater boat ride, the turtle farm and the totuga rum factory. All stops were interesting and we weren't rushed. Well worth the price! Jamacia is a good place to shop if you are in the mood to bargain with them and to be pestered to death. Example 4 nice embroidered tee shirts are 20 dollars. Jamacia has really nice carved mahogany things. Hope this helped. E mail me at jandkfarms@yahoo.com if you have any other questions I can answer.
Old January 20th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise

Two really good tours you may want to look into are the Atlantis submarine tours.
One is the approx. 70 foot sub that has a good number of people- I went on this outsde of a cruise, and it was wonderful.
The other Atlantis tour is extremely expensive, fits two per ride and needs to be booked in advance: but it is the experience of a lifetime. It is the 800 foot (1000 foot available) Deep Dive in one of their two former oil exploration submarines.
We booked the tour rather late but we did get our deep dive in March, despite it being booked up (there were a few slots left and we were VIP so the excursions desk tried really hard).
There is nothing more incredible than seeing that Cayman trench, with all the fish and beautiful sea life. Watch for soda cans for size ideas: you will see cans that look far too small, because they are very very far off in the distance. We bought the video of ours, too!

Old January 21st, 2004, 12:06 PM
First Mate

in Grand Cayman, THE thing to do is swim with stingrays - it's awesome - even if you're not a swimmer (due to shallow water). If you're really not into that, I've heard that an overall island tour is good, as is 7 mile beach. I didn't find the shopping good in Jamaica (at least not in Montego Bay). I would say Cozumel is best and cheapest. Grand Cayman was neat but very expensive.
Old January 21st, 2004, 02:26 PM
Todd Welch

We just got back from all 3 of these locations and this is my opinion.

All 3 are pretty much the same for local stuff such as T-Shirts and trinkets. Just look around a bit and don't always go to just the cruise ship recommended shops. We got most of our best deals at other stores.

Cozumel - cheapest place for Kaluha, Diamond & Tanzanite jewellery. We shopped and went back to the ship...weather wasn't the greatest or we had planned to go to the beach.

Grand Cayman - High end watches such as rolex, tags, etc....Rum... Booked a private company, Stingray City Charters to take us to 2 snorkel stops and Stingray City....$30US for adults and $20 US for kids.....cheap. Awesome day....highly recommend this company.

Jamaica - Mid range watches and jewellery. All other liquor. Booked an all day tour guide...his name was Dennis Mullings and he took us everywhere including Dunn's River for $30 US per person which included our fee into Dunn's. Great deal and he showed us some amazing things.
Old January 21st, 2004, 08:00 PM
steve & mollye

Default Re: Re: Shopping in the Caribbean

In Jamaca, how did you get in touch with Dennis Mullings?

Thanks
Steve & Mollye
Going there march 17th!!!!!!!!!!!