Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default what ver happend to...please read!!!

What ever happend to Carnival's Tropicale?
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Lupe

Default Re: what ver happend to...please read!!!

It caught on fire several years back...then they sold it to another cruise line. I think it is a Costa or Norwegian cruise ship now. I thnk..althought I am not 100 percent sure. I did a little research online and found the answer but I forgot.
Old January 25th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

The Tropicale was sent to Costa and was refurbished and is now sailing as the CostaTropicale - doing basically Mediterranean itineraries.

Old January 25th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Admiral

While the "caught fire" is technically correct it was a very minor fire in the engine room and was of very little inconvenance to the passengers and did not endanger them. Thought I would point that out so nobody gets the idea of a flaming cruiseship like the Andra Dora. As part of the upgrading programs and re-alignment the Tropicale was completely refurbished and transferred to the Costa line which is part of Carnival Corp. She has been quite a hit siling with this line.
Jim

Old January 25th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Lupe

It may have seemed like little inconvenience to the outside people, but I saw some show...worlds worst vacations or something like that. Apparenmtly it was misserable for the people who were on the boat. No food for a couple days, no power. It sounded pretty bad and the people who experienced it were very upset..which is understandable. When you go on a cruise, you are going to be pampered..rest and relaxation. It didn't sound like that is what they got. However Carnival did make good and offered a fully paid cruise to all the passengers.
Old January 26th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: what ver happend to...please read!!!

They did not go without food. The news media focused on less than a dozen people who were screaming how they almost died and of course needed to see an attorney to right this terrible wrong. In the background you saw people having a wonderful time and making do with some inconviences.
Jim

Old January 27th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Eugene

The Tropicale was our first cruise, 3 years back I guess. We took her into the Panama Canal...fantastic.

Just curious, anyone know if she still listed to one side?
Old January 27th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Gary L Rounds

The TROPICALE was my first CArnival cruise (Mexican Riviera) after having survived the worst 1st cruise of my life on a french ship (Paquet Line) repositioning from Miami to Vancouver. I was hooked for life.

Gary