Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2004, 04:12 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise
Default wraparound balconies- hard to get? Soot?

I've been wondering, having looked at many cruise websites it seems to me that the aft wraparound balconies on spirit-class ships are never available, even on sailings over a year from now.
do they tend to be available direct from carnival/from TAs about a year in advance or are they booked up always, even in off-peak cruising times?
If you have had one, how far in advance did you book?
I'm looking at sailing on the spirit class in feb. 2005 and a wraparound is my preferred cabin. I've never really used online booking but now I'm using online tools to plan future sailings, though only to book them if necessary to get the right cabin/sailing.
See later post for soot question

Post Edited (02-02-04 19:42)
Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2004, 04:42 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly
Default Re: wraparound balconies- hard to get?

In a word YES. These are some of the most desirable cabins on any sailing. They book way in advance.
Old February 1st, 2004, 06:21 PM
Passenger

We've cruised three times and have always booked a wrap-around-balcony cabin...we booked a year in advance for each cruise. I love these cabins...especially on the spirit-class ships since they are also the suites. On two of our cruises, they tried to give us an upgrade (they didn't ask us or tell us about it) and I had to fight to get our original wrap around balcony cabins back....I know most people want upgrades, but we booked a year in advance to get those specific cabins.

Glory 09/03
Mariner 09/04
Old February 1st, 2004, 06:35 PM
Yeoman

who did you book through? TA, online, or CCL?
I guess i'll have to put off for a summer sailing unless I can try and get hold of one soon.

Old February 1st, 2004, 07:09 PM
Passenger

Once we booked directly with Carnival, the other two times I booked on my own online. If you keep checking different websites, maybe one will become available...Good luck!!

Glory 09/03
Mariner 09/04
Old February 1st, 2004, 11:13 PM
Beleafer from the west

I have a wrap-around category 11 on the Spirit sailing March 6th. I booked through a TA in early January.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:35 AM
Passenger

How good are the cabins right next to the wraparounds. The ones right on the stern of the boat. The balcony looks bigger than the ones on the side of the boat in the same class (extended balcony).

Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:40 PM
George Alex

I booked a wrap-around on the legend for july from ny. We booked with a TA right after we got of a carnival cruise in septmeber.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:43 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: wraparound balconies- hard to get? Soot?

I've been hearing a bit about the soot problems some people have.
My question is this: is it that much of a problem? does it affect certain decks more than others?

Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

I booked one in January for an 11/7 Miracle cruise.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:52 PM
Passenger

We never had a real problem with soot....there was a little bit, but not enough to be bothersome; the cabin steward kept everything clean. (we have always been on deck 8)

Glory 09/03
Mariner 09/04
Old February 3rd, 2004, 07:08 AM
Yeoman

do you suspect that certain decks have their wraparounds jutting out enough to take some of the soot more than others?
I'm really looking at panorama deck (8)

Old February 3rd, 2004, 07:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are booked on the Pride, Panorama Deck, Wraparound on March 7th. I booked in August. I noticed that the other wraparound (two on each deck) on the Panorama Deck was available all the way to December. You just have to keep your eye out. We are really excited about this particular location and the balcony looks huge!!! I will be sure to write a review when I get back.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 11:52 PM
Passenger

Vikki-you'll *love* the wrap around cabin on the Pride...we were in 8273, it was the best! The Pride has been my favorite ship so far....have a great cruise!!

Glory 09/03
Mariner 09/04
Old February 4th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: wraparound balconies- hard to get? Soot?

Thanks Kristin. We are in 8268. Does anyone know which side of the ship (port or starboard) face Los Arcos when the ship is in Cabo San Lucas? We are on the port side and are hoping to see the beautiful rock formations from our room.
Old February 4th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

SOOT,
We have had aft balcs on hi decks, low decks, and middle decks. On the corner, next to it, and center stern. Never had any soot, period.

Soot is more a factor of conditions, sea state, how hard have they been running the engines, when the stacks were last cleaned or blown out, wind direction, etc. A ship could do its run in one direction have noticable soot some or all days. Then the next week do its opposite run and have no soot at all. Conditions may matter more than deck location.
Dan
Old February 4th, 2004, 07:59 PM
AngelaAngel

We booked a Cat 11 suite wrap around balcony on the Carnival Legend through our TA about 14 months ago. We had to put down a bigger deposit to specifically hold that suite. Each suite varies a little bit from deck to deck. I've heard people book a suite on a lower deck with less square feet and were very dissapointed. I'll let you know if it was worth it! Carnival Legend~03/12/04
Old February 9th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Campbellsoupgrl

HELP i am booked on the Carnival Miracle Feburary 27th 2005, I know the pride is the exact same ship so if someone has any pictures of room 8273 panorama deck 8. I saw kristin is staying that room i would really like some pictures if at all possible
Old February 9th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Sorry no pics, but we peeked. You walk in the door and down a short hallway with wood floors is a large sitting area with a sofa and club chair. To the left is the bed area. Larger than Cat. 11 next door (which we were in). Huge long balcony ... these folks had chaise lounges (perhaps the cabin steward brought 'em up)

Hope that helps.

Oh, and soot was *minimal* -- it usually just flew over head and only a few days.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old February 9th, 2004, 11:40 PM
noslen3333

my husband and I took the Spirit in November through the Panama Canal. We had an aft cabin on the 6th deck. I love being on the back of the ship. It's like your own little community back there. However, the soot was a small problem....especially when the ship was really cranking it up sailing at night. If you went out then and touched the railing or sat down..you would get soot all over your clothes. It literally covered everything. Every morning our steward had to wipe down the balcony. I just learned to stand and watch the sky and not lean on anything...lol...But I would get a room on the back again in a heartbeat. They really are special.
Old February 10th, 2004, 02:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Sterling Silver

Just got off the Spirit - 8 night to So. Carib. Were in cabin 8270 on Panorama deck. Next to the big wrap-around. I just had to peek over. It was HUGE! Good luck getting it. Soot was a small problem a couple mornings, when the air was heavy with dew. It seemed to push the soot right down to our deck. Just bring a towel out and wipe down the railing and the chairs when you have your morning coffee out there. I would get that room any time. Loved it. I thought those on the top deck could look over on us, but not so. They could only see our heads leaning against the rail. Loved the ship.
Old February 10th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Yeoman

Heh, I think I'll try to get the ones on the higher decks (Panorama) which is probably where I wanted too