Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default A reasonable solution coming up for the smokers/non smokers

A tidbit of new from our Carnival Spirit cruise... in regard to smoking and non smoking. The article I wrote about this should be appearing on our home page in the next few days, but in the mean time......

It seems Carnival is attempting to come up with a reasonable solution to the smokers vs non smokers aruguement.

They are experimenting now (as they were on the Spirit) with having many of their lounges onboard, and most public areas, except for cabins and outside decks, designated TOTALLY non smoking, and other lounges with continued areas designated for both.

Now I'm sure the PC zealouts will complain that everywhere should be non smoking, but to me it seems someone is finally trying to come up with a reasonable solution.

Especially interesting since Carnival had recently announced they were abandoning their non smoking policy on the Paradise.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2004, 03:04 PM
MichelleM

Default Re: A reasonable solution coming up for the smokers/non smok

This sounds interesting. Can't wait to find out more about it. I did notice on our last cruise on the Pride there were more non-smoking areas on the ship then on previous sailings of other Carnival ships.
Old February 5th, 2004, 04:43 PM
First Mate

Sounds pretty good. I will be on Imagination March 11 and will let you know what is happening there.
Bobbie

Grand Princess - Baltic - July 28, 2004
Dawn Princess - Southern Caribbean - February 2002
Old February 5th, 2004, 04:51 PM
sailing along

Aren't cruises about relaxing and having fun?????? If you are concerned about smoking on a cruise, then you aren't enjoying your vacation.
Old February 5th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Admiral

You're right, Sailing, I get bothered when a stogie-puffing woman is enjoying herself in the lobby while we waiting for the elevator...and you think any employee is going to hassle her? NOPE! That's why the Paradise was so nice...it was totally a non-issue...

..if smokers were more considerate, it wouldn't be a problem..and I'm certainly not saying that all smokers are inconsiderate boobs, because a lot are very considerate, unfortunately there are some who aren't, especially when drinking at the same time...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old February 5th, 2004, 05:42 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

I am a smoker. That said I have always tried to abide by the designated smoking/non areas. A non in the dine room, by the elevators, in the main theater is fine with me. I do appreciate the opportunity to smoke in half the bars and on half the open pool deck area as well as my personal cabin (which I will not be able to do this spring as DD is a militant non, but that was my choice). Trouble has frequently been when asking 2 crew members side is which i I get 3-4 answers. If smoking becomes too restrictive/prohibited I guess I will just have to take my hard earned vacation money elsewhere. Europe and Japan anyone???
Old February 5th, 2004, 06:52 PM
sailing along

I have been on 3 cruises and 4th in a month, I don't care if people smoke and it never even crossed my mind as to where or if any areas were designated. I am too busy on the dance floor.................lol
Old February 5th, 2004, 10:07 PM
guess my name

Here in south florida I think it got out of hand. If an establishment serves more than %10 of the sales toward food, there is no smoking. Most bars had to cut back on food, and most restaurants/bars are suffering considerably and are limited to just smoking on outside patios. I find it worse now that you walk outside and walk into a crowd of people that are smoking rather than an accasional cigeratte inside. I had to get that off of my chest.

I was on the paradise and found it to be a much more older of a crowd because of the people that it attracts and that is fine with me. It would be good to designate areas because you do run into some people that are rude and blow smoke in your face or people crying about the smoke. I find that I can generally have more fun around the smoking crowd because they do tend to be younger and are more livlier. lol I dont smoke, but I dont want to see it to go as far as what happened here in florida. What would be next?
Old February 5th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Captain

Default A reasonable solution coming up for the smokers/non smokers

I am a smoker with many great cruise memories.
Let me smoke on the balcony, at open air bars, and the starboard
side of the outside decks, and I'll be just fine.
Old February 6th, 2004, 07:04 PM
LHP

I have recommended offering non-smoking theme cruises where smoking is only allowed on the topless deck. Personally, if Carnival had out the time, money and effort into the design and installation of serious air filters that they put in the Paradise....smokers could smoke anywhere without a problem. If we can put men on the moon, surely we can design a table that draws the smoke from a cigarette when sitting in the ashtray and air filters that come down from the ceiling that draw the blown smoke.

As for me, we booked the Paradise today for June 6th.
Old February 7th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Living in Florida, I've grown used to not being exposed to cigarette smoke in any indoor areas. It's wonderful, especially since my wife has asthma. I sometimes forget that these rules don't apply to the rest of the world. It should be noted that Florida voters put this law into place. As I recall, the measure passed by an overwhelming majority.

I have no problem with people smoking in their cabins, so long as Carnival has a way to get the smell out before the next passengers arrive. I have no problem with people smoking out on deck, so long as I'm not downwind from them. But all public indoor areas should be completely non-smoking, or else split into smoking and non-smoking areas in such a way that the smoke doesn't get out of their area and into mine.

Basically, I don't care where folks smoke--so long as I don't have to be exposed to it.
Old February 7th, 2004, 12:10 PM
stephen voss

The smoking area should be on the rear end of the ship on an outside deck so the smoke drifts harmlessly up and off the ship
Old February 7th, 2004, 12:22 PM
LHP

Stephen:

That is a great idea. I had never thought about that as an option. ( I only thought about the topless deck.) IHMO, Carnival has always done an excellent job of smoke odor control in the cabins between sailings. We have never gotten a room with a old smoke smell (after over 20 years of cruising with them). It seems to be the active smoke control that they are behind on. But then, years ago there was no smoke control...so we are making strives.

I know it is an inconvenience for smokers to go outside.....but it is also an inconvenience for me to have the indoor smoke exposure...and since they are the ones with the addiction...if someone has to be inconvenienced...it should be them. It is an inconvenience not to be able to drink as much as I want to if I am driving home afterwards...but it is also an inconvenience for the other drivers to have to dodge my weaving....so if someone has to be inconvenienced....it should be me ...since I am the one drinking.

It is pretty much common sense that a person should not be exposure to over 3,000 toxins in an enclosed space against their will. So if someone chooses to smoke, they should live with the inconvenience of their choice. IHMO
Old February 7th, 2004, 03:14 PM
CPT Trips

A reasonable solution? I don't know, what's next? Peeing and non-peeing pools (or are they ools?)