Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Kellee

Default Most Amazing...Most Disappointing

What's the most amazing and/or disappointing port you ever visited?
Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2004, 06:23 PM
George Alex

Default Re: Mostost Disappointing

Freeport Grand Bahama. Very disappointing. The harbor is right in the middle of the industrial area. All you see is gas tanks oils or I dont know but just tanks and factorys and old boats. Its a waste of money.
Old February 5th, 2004, 07:25 PM
cruisin

Default Re: Most Amazing...Most Disappointing

I actually found Ochos Rios very disappointing. I know some really love it but we didn't. A little dirty, impoverished, people are very pushy and there wasn't alot to do. Alot of the shops were all alike. Kind of got bored on the Highlight tour that was suppose to be so good.
Old February 5th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Dr Jon

We thought our day at St. Martin to be one of our cruise highlights. The beach and the weather were great.
Old February 5th, 2004, 08:07 PM
wpvz

Default Re: Re: Most Amazing...Most Disappointing

Agree about Ocho Rios...stay away!
Old February 5th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Passenger

Best: Three-way tie:

Juneau, Alaska ~ Floatplane trip over the glaciers to Taku Wilderness Lodge's Salmon Bake ~ A+
Skagway, Alaska ~ Whitepass Railway through the Yukon Pass ~ A+
Sitka & Juneau ~ Whale watching excursions ~ A+

Worse: Belize ~ This really isn't fair because it is based solely on the lack of things to do in the port area. This is definately a place to book an excursion, not shop. Some in our group (2 cruises) have really enjoyed excursions here. Though, the folks in our group who went on the *Zoo* tour thought it was the trip from *@^* .

NCL's STAR - Alaska 6/06/04
Sensation - W. Caribbean 2/21/04
Inspiration - W. Caribbean 6/8/03
Pride - W. Caribbean 6/02
NCL's Sky - Alaska 6/01
Fantasy - Bahamas 6/97
HAL's Zaandam - E. Caribbean 6/00
HAL's Ryndam - Alaska 9/98
Old February 5th, 2004, 09:17 PM
First Mate

My husband doesn't want to return to either Freeport or Nassau. To be fair we haven't been since the 90s and they could have improved since then. Also it was our first cruise and we didn't have the extra funds to go on any excursions...that may have made a big difference as well.

I think the ports we have visited have been so varied and different that it's difficult to say which is the most amazing or disappointing. They all can be interesting if you look past some of their less savory aspects. The one port that sticks out in my mind is San Juan....there's a small park at the end of the street near the pier. There are benches and plumeria. It was so nice to sit and watch the water, smell the plumeria and see the ship fairly close by all lit up with lights.
Old February 5th, 2004, 09:47 PM
First Mate

Great, I just booked Carnival Miracle going to Nassau. Are you telling me that it is a bust? Last year I was on the Glory which went to Belize. After reading all the reviews we decided not to get off the ship and it turned out to be a good decision.

John
Old February 5th, 2004, 10:06 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Most Amazing...Most Disappointing

You can have a good time in Nassau, It might not be the best port but there are plenty of things to do and see.
I have been twice and have enjoyed it both times.

Michele

Fascination
Old February 5th, 2004, 10:21 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Most Amazing...Most Disappointing

Well, that's good news. Being that you were there, any suggestions of places that I should go see?

John
Old February 6th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Admiral

We had fun just tooling around Nassau, going on a glass bottom boat tour and spending money in the Straw Market. That being said, if we go again we plan on visiting Paradise Island. Frommer's Guide to the Bahamas is worth the investment. There are lots and lots of excursions listed.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old February 6th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

I wasn't REALLY disappointed in Montego Bay because I was pretty much prepared for it after all the posts I had read about it. They were true, it was terrible and we'll stay on the ship next time. It could be such a paradise and instead is full of pushy people who will beg you to buy their drugs and market goods. We found the people there very annoying and didn't feel safe after we left our tour and went out on our on for TWO blocks. There were six of us and we left Margaritaville to walk to the beach. People came from behind cars all the way to the beach trying to sell drugs to us and they had anything from cocaine to marijuana. Just our experience but Montego Bay has nothing for us worth getting off the ship for. We loved the Conquest and want to go on her again because all the good the ship has to offer out weighs the one bad day we had.

Old February 6th, 2004, 09:37 AM
starfighter

I think some of the most amazing ports were in the northwest coastal areas of the USA. Seattle and every one of the Alaskan ports were just beautiful. The air was so fresh and crisp and seaplanes were coming and going and you could actually see the fish breaking the water with the seabirds and Eagles circling. Although they're not warm water ports, it was a great sight. As for the worst, I would have to say it was where we docked in what appeared to be an industrial warehouse area. One was Vancouver. They had a nice area for ships to dock, but our ship was the last one in, so we docked with the shipping containers. There was also one like that in the eastern or southern caribbean, but I don't remember which port it was.
Old February 6th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Captain

For me the best ports are all in Alaska. I am amazed at every stop.

The most disappointing is Ocho Rios as others have said. I would never bother to get off the ship there again.
Old February 6th, 2004, 10:25 AM
First Mate

Loved Orient Beach in St. Martin. Also, loved hiring a cab and touring St. Lucia. We did not like St. Thomas at all. If we go there again on a cruise, I think we will just head for the beach. The shopping area was a zoo!!!
Bobbie

Grand Princess - Baltic - July 28, 2004
Dawn Princess - Southern Caribbean - February 2002
Old February 6th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Passenger

I thought Belize was one of the most amazing places I have been and can't wait to go back. Standing on deck during the sail away I was so sad that our day had been so short. You can't go to Belize without booking an excursion however. There is no shopping. I didn't get to go to any of the cayes while we were there and will choose another cruise with Belize as a port of call just to be able to do that.
Old February 6th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Admiral

My favorite port is Lahaina, Maui. But I've never been there on a cruise, just a land vacaton.

Freeport and Nassau have made major improvements in the last 3 years. Both ports have construction projects underway to make them more attractive. Nassau's is complete and now you don't have the pushy street vendors bothering you until you get into town.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 6th, 2004, 11:53 AM
bmgaritty

Most amazing - A tie between Santorini and Venice

Most disappointing - Jamaica

Have a good day1
Old February 6th, 2004, 02:12 PM
MAP

Default Re: Re: Re: Most Amazing...Most Disappointing

If you go to Nassua, you've got to visit Atlantis. This hotel is amazing! There's so much to see and if you have time I'd suggest taking the tour that includes the beach break and enjoy lunch there. Just be prepared to pay top dollar for it.
Old February 6th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Happy Camper

Honolulu Hawaii and Vancover were just awesome ports! Honolulu you are close to the Aloha Tower. They dropped flower petals on us from a helicopter as we left and we had hula dancers and singers on the dock! Vancover we sat and watched the float planes land on the water - with the misty morning it was really a beautiful port. One more would be Curacao. We sailed into town which was awesome and then as we left at sunset the hotel lit up and played Love Boat real load while the people waved from shore...

Worst port was Honduras - Roatan. Not impressed at all with the scenery and the people seemed to think we all had money and we should give it to them. We will not get off at that port. Also Alcapulco - we were hounded so bad we got right back on the ship. I'm sure it is a beautiful city but at the time they really turned us off with the constant hounding even after we said no repeatedly...
Old February 6th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just got back from our first cruise, so things are really fresh in my mind.

Best: St. Maarten: beautiful water and great shopping bargains, but I didn't like the peddlers constantly bugging you.

Worst: San Jaun: wasted stop, smelly, lots of homeless street people, very sad. If you don't travel in a group it isn't safe.

Carnival Victory
Old February 6th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Passenger

We love Roatan. The beaches are beautiful, the jungles a awesome and we found the people to be very nice. That is still one of our favorite ports and we have been there 3 times.

Another favorite is Panama Canal and the dock just outside of the canal.

Vette
Old February 6th, 2004, 09:33 PM
kellee

What would you say is the best port between Ochos Rios, Grand Caymon and Cozumel?
Old February 6th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Carnival Pride CD to be

St Thomas = bad, Ocho Rios = worse.....didn't like that place at all

2 way tie on the best.....

St Maarten shopping and San Juan horse carriage tour
Old February 7th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Jilles

From what I've read, it seems the eastern carr. is a much nicer experience than western and southern. Am I correct?
Old February 7th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Passenger

I *loved* St. John and Belize. St. John is filled with pure untouched beauty...I've never seen such an amazing place. A lot of people knock Belize, however, if you take the time to get past the port area, that place has a lot to offer.....I had one of the most relaxing days of my life there!!! I want to go back!!!

Hmmm....there hasn't been a port that I didn't like....just whatever port I was coming home to! : )

Glory 09/03
Mariner 09/04
Old February 7th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Cruzin4fun1010

I absolutely love St. John. There is such beauty on that island.
Martinique to me was a complete waste. Didn't like it at all.
Old February 7th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Passenger

This will be our first cruise, so I can't speak from experience. But what I can say is that I think of any port as being and "adventure" and an "opportunity" to see other parts of the world. After two trips (not cruises) to Mexico, I found that you are going to find the good and the bad no matter where you go,and it's both that makes up the experience. I'm more excited about the actual "cruise" part, and the ports are just a "bonus"!!

Carnival Fantasy
Old February 7th, 2004, 11:34 PM
bonie

Jilles.

Eastern Carribean is 200% better than the West Coast Mexico (cabo, matzaland, peurto vallarta.

The eastern waters are blue/green warm and beautiful. The western waters are no comparison.

If you are first time cruisers and do western first then you will be pleasantly delighted when you hit the eastern side.
We did an eastern cruise, loved it 110%, then did a western mexico cruise and were really disappointed.

Next cruise is to Hawaiian Islands then to Vancouver. Can hardly wait.

Good luck on your choice.
Old February 7th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sea Turtle

My best/worst:

B - Anchorage, AK--such a variety of things to do/see. I've been 3x and can't wait to return.

W - Costa Maya, MX--didn't like anything about the portside village nor the Jungle Beach excursion.

All subjective judgments though--to each his own!!