Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2004, 11:41 AM
ladywithmanyhats

Default Ocho Rios or Montego Bay??

Hello,
We are planing at cruise for next Christmas/New Years.We will be having 10 families going and about 18-22 teenagers.We decided to go with Carnival because they have alot of things for Teens.We want to go to Jamacia but were trying to Decided to go on the Triumph (which some have already gone on)which goes to Ocho Rios or, go on the Glory which goes to Montego bay.Which do you think would be good for this large group? Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Dottie
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2004, 02:28 PM
karn

Default Re: Ocho Rios or Montego Bay??

Neither! Don't get off the boat! Sorry - we didn't like our time at Montego Bay. However, they say that if you go on shore you should go to a resort there. Jamaica is rather dangerous. We had a teenager get robbed on our trip there at knife point. Stole all of his money. When they say don't stray from the main area's they mean it. Don't get led down an alley!
We have been on the Triumph and really liked that ship. I thought it was pretty and a lot of fun.
Old February 6th, 2004, 02:42 PM
First Mate

Ocho Rios has more to do - Dunn's River falls, flea markets. There's very little to do in Montego Bay. My vote would be Ocho Rios - and make sure you go to Dunn's River falls. the teenagers will love it.
Old February 6th, 2004, 04:36 PM
ladywithmanyhats

Thank you all for the advice
Old February 8th, 2004, 06:52 PM
cruisin

I agree that Jamacia is very dangerous. We went to Ochos Rios and I would not get off of the boat there again. I did not find it very entertaining at all. Grand Cayman was great, Jamacia is not.
Old February 9th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Misty

I would say pick Ocho Rios even though neither are safe ports. My husband and I are leaving on our 9th cruise in about 3 weeks. We are in our very late 20's, and we love to cruise. However, we refuse to cruise on another ship that goes to Montego Bay. There was a shooting the day we were there at city center (shopping) We were on our way to our shore excursion when we passed a fenced in police station with lots of guards armed with what appeared to be machine guns. One of the passengers asked why there were so many guards with the machine guns. Then we were all told by our bus driver that some people there are at war with the police. He went on to tell us all that a few weeks earlier several policemen were shot, and killed. The driver assured the man on our bus that he would be ok, and that tourists are safe there. A few weeks after we returned home we read about people burning cars in some sort of riot. We are not the kind of people that are normally scared easily, but we were very uneasy about our trip to Montego Bay. My advice to you is STAY AWAY from MONTEGO BAY!!!! I know we will. Hope this helps! :-)
Old February 9th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Frank Pike

If these are such unsafe ports why does Carnival and other cruise lines continue to put their passengers at risk? Why not eliminate these ports and go somewhere people are safe? The cruise lines do not owe these islands anything!
Old February 10th, 2004, 06:41 AM
Passenger

One of the best days we've had anywhere was in Ocho Rios. The morning was spent at the Falls and then we asked our driver (hired for the day for cheap) to take us to the market, then we went on to a beach where I lined up a local to take us out snorkelling, he was awesome... isn't just living a bit dangerous? I mean, you might die at any moment...live it up!!!
Kevin