Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Carnival "Master Card"

Carnival has a credit card to be used as you would any credit card - except, with the Carnival card you build a cash back reserve which can be used toward a cruise ticket.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who's found such a credit card truly valuable.

1) Is there a maximum cash value that can be used to reduce the cost a cruise ticket? For example, up to $500 of a 7 day cruise.

2) Must the dollar benefits be used within a specific period, say, 1 year from earning them? (like sky miles have an expiration date of so many years).

3) Does any other cruise line offer a similar card? Princess?

Thank you for the help, Willy.
Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival "Master Card"

1) Is there a maximum cash value that can be used to reduce the cost a cruise ticket? For example, up to $500 of a 7 day cruise.

You collect points which are redeemed for free cruises, etc....It's not a cash value thing but for every dollar you spend you get one point

IE: upgrades (interior to oceanview) are 10k points on a 7 day cruise
Free cruises for 2 are 86k points for 7 days interior cabin or 100k points for an ocean view cabin
Free companion cruises are 40k for 7 day cruises
They have a list they send you when you get the card....it also includes champagne or fruit basket which is only 700 points (we use that one alot-on every cruise)

2) Must the dollar benefits be used within a specific period, say, 1 year from earning them? (like sky miles have an expiration date of so many years).

They are good for 3 years

3) Does any other cruise line offer a similar card? Princess?

I don't think so but I know icruise.com has a version similar

Post Edited (02-09-04 18:28)
Old February 9th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Carnival

Thank you, Helen, very helpful.
Willy
Old February 9th, 2004, 09:40 PM
pastordon

Default Re: Re: Re: Carnival

MBNA credit cards has a program to earn up to $800 toward the purchase of a cruise but you have to go through their associated TA to apply your credit. I've done it several times. Last year my wife and I got round trip airfare from CLE to Miami and an eight night cruise on the Spirit for $632 total because of the $800 credit supplied by MBNA.
Old February 9th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Bob & Linda

We have a Carnival credit card. We have also received and used a $500. certificate twice on cruises. Capital One has a Carnival credit card right now. You accumulate 1 point for each dollar spent. We earned a $500. certificate and used that as part of our deposit on a Alaskan cruise in September. The points you accumulate are good for everything from a bottle of champagne to a free cruise. It was also very easy to redeem the certificate. You can accumulate to points for 5 years. We have no complaints and will continue to use the card.............................
Old February 10th, 2004, 11:46 AM
USFFrank

Correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't there still a monthly charge to be in that program? last year I enrolled via the telephone number found in the ad. At the very end of the terms and conditions they said that there would be a monthly charge ( I don' t remember how much it was) to be a part of this program. When I heard this I optioned to decline the card. Nothings for free, especially a cruise.
Old February 10th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Carnival "Master Card"

$4.00/month, to me it's not that much but we use our cards alot and have accumulated a lot of points. So in comparison to the savings you can receive, $48/year isn't bad.

Imagination 96
Destiny 97
Holiday 99
Fascination 01
Rotterdam 02
Conquest 07/03
Conquest 02/29/04
Old February 10th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Happy Camper

The Capital One card there is no fee. You can earn up to a $1000 certificate (it was changed from $800) and it is good to use with any TA or any one you find to book with. It is considered cash so in combinable with anything. I have used it once with Capital One. It was with another credit car company - MBNA but they changed the rules on Carnival saying you had to use MBNA Travel which can be a lot higher than on line agencies. We used $500 on the Hawaii cruise in 2000, $500 on the Mexican Riviera cruise in 2001 and $500 on this cruise coming up in April. They last for 5 years.

NCL also has a card.

I think RCl does too now but may not be out yet.

If you love to cruise it can really be great but only if you can earn them for up to 5 years, no fee, and can book with any agency - that is a big one!

We love it! Debbie
Old February 10th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Admiral

My Capital One Carnival Mastercard has no annual fee and a 9.9% rate.....
I've accumulated 3500 points so far and I use it every year to book my cruises on Carnival which helps me accumulate more points. I love the card and it is nice cause I can book thru any TA, either online or local. My next cruise in March we booked thru bestpricecruise.com using the Carnival Mastercard.

Old February 10th, 2004, 04:34 PM
pastordon

There is no fee with the MBNA card or it's cruising program. You earn 2 cents on every dollar toward a cruise . You can earn a $350 discount, $500 discount or $800 discount. I originally had the MBNA Carnival card until they went with a different company. The MBNA card can be used with multiple cruise lines (although I'm hooked on Carnival and I'm no swinger). I was concerned with the limitation of only going through their TA company at first, but I find the best deal I can through the net and then call their rep and they have matched it and then added the discount I had earned. Of course they are not doing this out of the goodness of their heart. They make money on every transaction of the credit card and hope to make more on charging interest ( I pay my balance monthly)
Old February 17th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Natasha487

Default Re: Re: Carnival

We used to have a Carnival card until its payback was lower. Now we use at Norwegian Cruiseline card and will get 3% back towards our next cruise. I have about $1,500 coming in little over 1 1/2 years.
Old February 17th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Admiral

I have the Capital One Carnival Mastercard and just cashed in some of my points for $200 off a three-day cruise. Also got that bottle of champagne in the cabin. The only problem is that you have to book directly through Carnival to use the points.

I don't have an annual fee on my card but I've heard from others who do. I think it depends on your credit rating. They also gave me a very low limit, which is annoying, and refuse to raise it.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old February 17th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Admiral

The statement you made "The only problem is that you have to book directly through Carnival to use the points" just wasn't true....

We booked our last cruise thru Orbitz.com in Feb 2003 and utilized our points for a free champagne basket in our cabin. We were NOT required to book thru Carnival directly.
Maybe you were misinformed by Carnival but that was just not our case...our points worked fine even though we booked thru a online TA.

Old February 18th, 2004, 11:47 AM
LHP

hkollen is correct. You do not have to book through Carnival to use the points. We have saved over $2,200.00 on four cruises so far (my husband traveled a lot and built up points quickly) . Three of those cruises were booked through our usual travel agent. Now we can use Interline (due to my husband's job) and we just booked directly through Carnival and they give us the Interline rates. You book the cruise, then call the Credit Card Company to redeem the points. They give you a redemption number and 48 hours later you call your travel agent and give them that number.

We have had this card (through Capital One) since they started and we have never paid an annual fee.
Old February 18th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Admiral

Okay. The documentation I was given with the card said that I was supposed to call Carnival to book after redeeming the points. Guess I shouldn't have taken that too literally.

Cheers,
Michelle P.