Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2004, 12:03 PM
bonie

Default Gifts for room steward???

Has anyone every left small gifts for the room steward each day when on a cruise?

Just went on an all-inclusive vacation in Mexico and each day left small gifts for the maid and they were very much appreciated.

Just wondering if anyone has done the same on a cruise ????
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2004, 01:45 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Gifts for room steward???

We don't do it on a daily basis...but we do take phone cards with us to give them directly to the room steward, our waiters and busperson. Most of the time the card only covers a few minutes of conversation to another country...but they always seem very appreciative.
Old February 14th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Admiral

The best gift bar none is tips. This is univesally the most desired display of appreciation for a job well done than all have told us. Phone cards are a dime a dozen for the crew and they can get better rates than we can and most tell me that they have phone cards stacked up already.
Jim

Old February 14th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Marina

Default Re: Re: Gifts for room steward???

i agree with Jim. in crewmates under topics there is a entry that says they dont want the cards, they want money. so tip is always appreciated.
Old February 14th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Marina

correction: its listed under crew members.
Old February 14th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

On our last cruise I fixed a smal l gift bag with goodies. I put in a one time camera and 12 postage stamps and some stationary, gum & candies. Not to sound cheap, but the camera at Wal-Mart are about 7 buck and you can pick the stationary at Dollar Tree, or Dollar General for a Buck.

Now I know they have all that food on the ship, they seem to like the gum and hard candies and can buy things in the ports, but a few little things like this help them to same there money to send home or save.

Gave it to the room steward on the first day of the cruise, he was very appreicative.
Our cash tip came at the end of the cruise, for a job well-done.

RCI Mariner 2005 St. Thomas St Marteen
NCL Star 2006 Seattle to Alaska
NCL Pride of Aloha 2007 Hawaii Island Hopping
url=http://www.cruiseclocks.com/][/url]
Free Cruise Clocks
Old February 14th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Mmketeer

Hi,

I always try and do something 'extra' special above my usual tipping for holidays and or for someone on the ship that I believe went above and beyond. Some of the things I have given are the usual phone cards, thank you cards with gifts in them, holiday cards, gift cards, small christmas ornaments, special notes to supervisors on a person's above average job performance, etc...
No matter what you give, remember it's the thought that counts and it will always be appreciated. But, don't forget to tip...a gift should be something extra.

Happy Sailings!
Old February 14th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Gifts for room steward???

I can recommend a personal thank you card or notation to their supervisor. Those are also well appreciated. Personal acts of kindness are always very welcome. We always take time to try and get to know crew and just be nice to them in any way we can and let them know we appreciate them. You would be amazed at the wonderful stories that these people have about themselves. We have been very fortunate in that we now have many crew, both former and current, that we call friends and have even visited them and had them visit us.
Jim