Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to CruisinDude08 Send a message via MSN to CruisinDude08 Send a message via Yahoo to CruisinDude08
Default flying in on day of cruise

My family is going on the Glory in July. Our TA booked the flight for the same day the cruise leaves port. I have read some horror stories on here about flight problems and missing the boat. Is this a common problem. Do you think I need to go back and try to change the flight arrangements? I suspect this would cost us, as we already made one change to our plans and were charged by the TA.
Kris

Old February 14th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Default Re: flying in on day of cruise

Kris, much of this depends on where you are flying out of and when. In July the chances of weather caused delays are greatly reduced. I personally like to go the day before and relax but that is a personal choice and I drive to the port and don;t have to fly. That should give you an idea on how much more relazed it is that way.
Jim

Old February 14th, 2004, 09:34 PM
elationismyship

I've flown in on the day of the cruise 7 times and never a problem. I've booked my own air and book through Carnival. I stopped booking through Carnival as they would fly me with connections (and never connections in the general direction I was traveling) so I find it more convenient to book my own and have a choice on flights. It's one of those things that if weather comes in and your delayed, etc. but you're going to have those problems on a flight you book or one you book through Carnival. Take the insurance and don't worry about something you can't change (i.e., weather, etc.). As an FYI, I don't take the insurance on trips that cost me less than $500 since it's like at 25-30% increase on my price and I figure I'll take my chances.
Old February 15th, 2004, 02:03 AM
First Mate

During the winter months I'd be more concerned about flying out early...but in July you should be fine. The only reason we fly out a day early is because we fly stand-by...and that is a bit risky to save for the day we sail!
Old February 15th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Admiral

We always prefer to fly out the day before in case of any unforseen problems at the airport. Who needs the stress of worrying about trying to make your cruise on the first day of your vacation? Better to have an extra day to get to your hotel, relax for the evening, possibly buy anything you've forgotten, and just enjoy the evening before!

But that's just my dos centavos....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old February 15th, 2004, 12:35 PM
frank926

It's too late to change now. once you have the flight booked you get charged at least $100 to change airline tickets.
Old February 15th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Passenger

Never again for us!!! Last year Our connecting flight was delayed due to an airport security problem. We made it to the ship at 6:00 pm which was sailing time. We were the last people to board ship and we had to actually run across a gang plank to make it. The ship started moving within seconds of our boarding. It was exciting to say the least.
It was also very stressful . I thought our family vacation that we had planned and saved for was going to be ruined.
My suggestion is go the day before and stay at a hotel or motel close to the port. This will eliminate the worry off possibly "missing the boat"
By the way, we are booked for this year and are arriving the day before and also staying the day after.

warkid

Dec. 4 2004 Carnival Glory!
Old February 17th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Cruisingbear

Kris,
We have taken 2 cruises with Carnival and have flown in on the day of the cruise. We
book our own airfare and have not had a problem as of yet. A few suggestions: Book
the earliest flight you can with the least amount of connecitons. This will allow for
delays and less chance for misplaced baggage. On our first cruise, our flight (non-stop)
was delayed 2 hours and we still made it to the ship 2 hours before sailing. As long
as you can be at the port at least 2 hours before sailing, you should be okay.
Happy Sailing.....
P.S We care cruising on RCCL in March, flying in the same day.....
Old February 17th, 2004, 06:15 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Doreen
Default Re: Re: flying in on day of cruise

I'm flying in the same day as the cruise. I believe that missing the boat is the exception to the rule. Not everybody has the luxury of flying in the day before. My ship doesn't leave until 10pm so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.