Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Celebration/Sanitation

We returned from a wonderful 5 day cruise on the Celebration. There were no outbreaks, the galley was spotless, when we toured it, the ship decks were constantly scrubbed. We would not hesitate to go back but as a first time cruiser, I cannot help but wonder if the facilities are identical on all ships. I am referring more particularly to the design of the toilet bowls on the Celebration.

We noticed the following in our stateroom and I am sure many others noticed the same. It is just not a very pleasant subject to speak of. But let me ask you, if you have you noticed the following:

1-How hard it is to flush the toilet of all its impurities in your stateroom.
2-There is just not enough water to rid the bowl of all its contents. At one point, in port, there was no water.
3-There is a toilet brush, in a bowl beside the toilet. How often is it disinfected.
4-We have all heard of the contaminants dispersed in the air when you flush a commode, at home, with the lid up. Doesn't this hold even more validity on a ship especially when toilet bowls require several flushings and additional water poured in to clean up all the residue?

Norwegian Sea

Yankee Clipper Windjammer 1978
Celebration 01/04
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Scott C

Default Re: Celebration/Sanitation

Saw your post subject line and thought that the "Sanitation" was a new Carnival ship!
Old February 16th, 2004, 11:56 PM
First Mate

Scott! That was so cute!

The newer ships do seem to have improved bathrooms in every respect.
Old February 17th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Treva

I was on board the cruise from HELL!!! As I understand it the ship left the same day that we ported. I know how many people were really sick on that ship and I also know there is no way they could of sanitized that boat let alone my room within that time period. There was two of us with diaherra and vomiting there was one toilet, two trashcans and two ice buckets. Draw your own picture. I know in some rooms there more than two people I can only imagine what their room were like. If they did leave the same day I would love to know if any of them come down sick..
Old February 17th, 2004, 04:42 PM
First Mate

Just a note. I didn't think the ship I was on was too clean either. The Imagination. Maybe I'm a clean freak but I could see where people could get sick. I actually expected better.

Kathie
Old February 17th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Celebration/Sanitation

Treva
Have you been offered a full refund? I hear some have. I am really sorry this happened to you. I know how much we were looking forward to the vacation and how excited we were on that trip.
I just hope it does not kill your desire to cruise again. I had a bad experience on a windjammer in 1978 and I am sorry it took this long before we got on a ship. Now, we keep looking for reduced rates for cruises out of Galveston so we can do it again very soon.
I wish they would find out what provoked all this sickness. Keep me posted.

Norwegian Sea

Celebration 01/04
Old February 17th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Treva

Yes we have been offered a full refund. That certainly helps take the sting our of it. I feel like it was such a waste. We didn't get to go into Calica and we missed so much on board. Not to mention the vacation time from work we can't get back. The CDC gave us a web page and told us their full report would be on it. It's not so much the being sick, it was how the whole situation was handled aboard the ship that left such a bitter taste.
Old February 17th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Treva, I noticed that some of the crew members were not as diplomatic as one might have expected.
I am curious to hear what they are instructed to say and do in such cases. What is Carnival's policy when there is an epidemic on board? How can we find out?
I did not have to deal with Carnival's doctor and nurses but I did have to deal with an emergency at a Club Med, once, where the nurse was a total jackass. It seems that in a possible panic situation, some of these so called professionals lose all their sense of courtesy.
I am a hard worker also and get to accrue 5 hours of vacation per pay check. It takes a while to get 40 hours and that vacation time is put to good use. I can only imagine if I lost those 40 hours because I was the victim of some epidemic on board a ship.
Is there any hope that CDC will find the source of the outbreak? Has Carnival offered any formal apology?

Norwegian Sea

Celebration 01/04
Old February 18th, 2004, 07:20 AM
First Mate

I think somebody was pulling your leg about the toilet bowl lid.

Old February 18th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Treva

We are supposed to be getting a letter from Carnival. CDC gave us a website and promised the findings would be posted on that website.
Old February 18th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to disneylynn

How did they test you?
My family had the norwalk virus in november from a different cruise line
and it took a month to get the results back .
People were getting sick on the boat for 3 weeks later.
They talked about it on a different message board.
You were lucky to get your money back.
The cruise line I was on did nothing.
and we were tested by the cdc
Old February 18th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Treva

They didn't never test us. They just gave us some forms to fill out.
Old February 19th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

I just don't understand why anyone thinks Carnival should send out a formal apology. An apology for what....for people that probably came on board sick and it spread? What? They're giving everyone a FULL refund and I think that's apology enough don't you?
It must be hard for the crew to handle that many sick people at one time there's only a doctor and his staff on board and not one doctor for every passenger so how can they take care of everyone at one time? I'm sure people were getting angry but what were the crew supposed to do that they didn't? I wish someone would explain that rather than just posting 'it was the way ti was handled'.
When it happens on land they send people home to take care of themselves, it's a little different when you're in the middle of the ocean..there's nowhere to go.
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Treva

Carnival flew medical help in from Miami to Cozumel to help. When the nurse came to give my huband a shot Thursday morning he accidently let it slip that at that time they had already seen over 500 people. Carnival has never claimed anymore than 300 were sick. Trust me I was in the lounge where they gathered us at the end of the cruise. There was way more than 300 sick. We were never informed how many were sick and how severe the illness was. I have kept in touch and I know two that are still in the hospital. Also at the debarktation the Captain came out and had the nerve to say "Oh, yeah, we had a minor problem and it is much better." I'm sorry, but that was like a slap in the face to a bunch of people. Unless you were there and sick you just don't understand. I understand that it happens and I don't have a problem with that. I do have a probem being lied to and my situation being blown off. I don't think a passenger came on board and passed off this severe an illness off to over 500 people in less than 48 hours. I think the actual staff did a wonderful job. They were caring and tried their best in a very difficult situation. My problem is with those higher up.
Old February 19th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to disneylynn

WOW!!! That many people in such a short time
could it have been in the food?
I know first hand how bad the norwalk virus can be.
I hope everyone is doing better now.