CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Upper/Lower Beds?!??!? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/194857-upper-lower-beds.html)

TNixon July 5th, 2004 04:37 PM

Upper/Lower Beds?!??!?

Ok. Not gonna beat around the bush here, we booked 2 rooms both with 2 upper and 2 lower beds. In one room there won't be any problems, 2 adults 2 kids. The kids can sleep on the upper beds. In the other room we have 3 adults and 1 kid, so one adult will have to sleep on the upper bed. We are all of "generous" size! :) 2 guys about 250 lbs each, are we gonna rip those things out of the walls?! How strong are they? I don't plan on jumping on them or anything but I don't wanna be sleeping on it when I collapses, or be the one under it either!!!!! :) Thanks for any comments or experiences shared. Let me know if you've slept on them and you are an adult, not a teenie tiny person.

TNixon July 5th, 2004 07:20 PM

Re: Upper/Lower Beds?!??!?

Anyone have any comments/opinions?

dmdiver July 5th, 2004 08:02 PM

you may want to check with carnival to see if there is a weight limit. they have rollaway beds that can be put in the room as well. floor space would be a bit limited then, but no one would have to worry about falling! i think i would definitely check with carnival just to ease my mind.

fun4me July 5th, 2004 08:25 PM

Funny you should ask. We took our 2 kids with us and we had the same set up, two uppers and two lowers. My daughter sleeps all over the place, I was scared she was going to fall off the upper so my husband slept up there and she slept on the bottom. He is an average size man about 200lbs. and it didn't even squeak when he got on. I was worried at first but after seeing him on it, I felt satisfied. My daughter even hung from the side by her hands with her feet off the ground while he was on it and it was fine. I don't think you will have a problem. They do offer rollaways but for two of you to sleep on them, I don't think there will be enough room.

The Hills July 5th, 2004 09:13 PM

I have a picture from the Legend of the 2 bunk beds so if you send me an email I will send you the picture. I think you may find the upper bunk a little tight as my 8 year old almost hit his head many times.

The Hills

Dorothy July 5th, 2004 09:15 PM

Just curious - do you have a 1A with the upper/lower bunks or a category that has the pull downs from the ceiling?

dorothy

TNixon July 5th, 2004 09:44 PM

Not exactly sure yet Dorothy, we haven't gotten our room assignment yet, if I'm not mistaken my TA said we would have pull down, I didn't know there were 2 different kinds of rooms with this setup? Which is better?

cthrn27 July 5th, 2004 10:15 PM

when the carnival guy booked our cruise he said that we would also have a pull down. I had him check on the weight limit and I know that it was fine for us, but I don't remember the exact number. Any way, if you call carnival they can help you. don't feel silly. I have asked a zillion weird questions and they have been wonderful.

good luck

TNixon July 7th, 2004 08:41 PM

Looks like we booked a Category 4A guarantee, with 4 people in each room. If in chance of any upgrade, will they take into consideration there will be 4 people in each room and not mistankinly put us in a room without 4 beds? Is there a slight chance in getting one of the bigger rooms with a pull out sofa and king bed? (I know that would be lucky) but is there a chance? All I remember is we booked a 4A guarantee with 4 people in each room, will we be "relatively" comfortable?? BTW we are a close family so tight spaces won't bother us but what about the bunks or whatever there is on the wall or you pull down. What is the deal with those, can a full grown man sleep on them? Keep in mind I may be fully intoxicated during this trip! :)

dmdiver July 8th, 2004 08:38 AM

well, maybe you can sleep on the floor - you probably don't want to fall out of an upper bunk - assuming, of course, that you are able to get in it while intoxicated! maybe you could cut off alcohol at a certain time so you're semi-sober by the time you find your room. just teasing. all kidding aside, i think you kind of have to roll in & out of them. seems my daughter said you can't sit straight up in them - she's about 5'7". i feel pretty sure if you get an upgrade carnival is watching the # of people. i wouldn't think they would be able to afford many of that type of mistake. maybe you will get lucky and get one of those big rooms. that would be awesome! good luck.

M.Livingston July 8th, 2004 03:06 PM

At the time of my last cruise, I weighed about 235-240 and had no problem sleeping on a top bunk. I was a little apprehensive the first night, but I heard no creaking. I would be more worried about hitting your head on the ceiling. That happened to me many times throughout my cruise. Have a great time!

GLW513 July 8th, 2004 03:11 PM

Not that I am proud of my weight....but I weigh over 250 lbs and I had no trouble sleeping in a bunk on the Carnival Miracle.