Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2004, 03:54 PM
vee

Default Shore Excursions

hello...
we r booked on jubilee on may 1st on jubilee for our 1st cruise.
i wanne to know is it a good idea to go on the excursions with cruise line or booking it on our own. if so can u give me few good stuff to do and where to book it.

San Juan, Puerto Rico 10:00 PM
Sunday St. Thomas, Usvi 7:00 AM 6:00 PM
Monday Antigua 7:00 AM 5:00 PM
Tuesday St. Lucia 7:00 AM 5:00 PM
Wednesday Dominica 7:00 AM 5:00 PM
Thursday La Romana, Dominican Republic 5:00 PM
Friday La Romana, Dominican Republic 6:30 PM
Saturday San Juan, Puerto Rico

thanx
Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Stuart Bond

Default Re: Shore Excursions

If you go by the ship and you happen to be late, the ship will wait for you so thats one advantage. Also, the excursions through the ship are certified so usually you'll get the cream of the crop. If you're at port for only a short while, i would say book through the cruise ship, it's safter. Have fun!!!
Old February 18th, 2004, 04:08 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to NICKI61

Our 1st cruise we didn't book anything. I felt like we missed the feel of the island we were on . This year we reserved 2 excursions off ship. 1 in St. Thomas with Godfrey tours, and in Dominica with Reynos tours. $20 & $30 each. You can and have to use your own judgement. It is always said if you are late, well you have to take responsibility for yourself and get your butt back there. The ships tours would have cost us, $60 each. So you will have to be the judge. I went on past customers and talked via email with the tours myself and feel very confident in my choice.

Nicki

Ruby Princess 11/08

HAL Westerdam 11/2007

NCL Dawn-2006

Carnival Destiny-2004

Carnival Spirit 2002
Old February 18th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Admiral

As a first time cruiser I would recommend doing the ships tours. This will give you a good overview, provide you with someone that is responsible and insured, and someone that will not rip you off. They are also required to have someone who speaks English fluently as the guide. Yes you can save doing it on your own IF you know who to contact, IF they are reliable, IF you are willing to tour with someone who has not shown minimum safety requirements, IF you are able to speak the local language, IF you are willing to take a chance you might not make it back to the ship in time, IF, IF, IF....<G>
Jim

Old February 18th, 2004, 07:11 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Doreen

I'm on the same cruise March 13th. I booked Eli's Eco Tours for Antiqua (everyone I've talked to raves about it) and Reyno's tour for Dominica (cheaper than the cruise tour). I'll let you know how it goes.
Old February 19th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Shore Excursions

Again, I've seen several people mention Reynos Tours in Dominica, but I can't find the information on how to contact. I have searched the boards and search engines with no luck. If you have the info, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much!

Monica
Old February 19th, 2004, 01:48 PM
ElationismyShip

First cruise we booked all our tours through the ship since we didn't know any better. After that saved money on our own. The people you usually book with off the ship are the same carriers that the ship is using. I think we get taken better care of booking on our own because the operators get the full $$, not just the portion the ship gives them. Most tours we've done on our own, the ship passengers show up on busses and do the same exact thing - only with a large group and for more $$.

Never a problem but we're also not trying to cram 10 hours of siteseeing into an 8 hour day. We use our heads and book early in the day to avoid any potential problems of not making it back to the ship on time.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 09:34 AM
adalace

On my first cruise since I did not know what to expect, we booked through the ship very expensive (Celebrity Galaxy 3/2002)
I will be going on the Jubilee in April (my second cruise) and I booked all my excursions through independent operators.
All you have to do is search and compare the prices on the internet.
Here is what I will be doing:

For St thomas: Still not sure on what we'll be doing But I will play by ear. We may island hop over to St John
Antigua: check out antiguapaddles.com (requires advance payment) very friendly
St Lucia: International Riding stable (no advance payment) send email with time and date.
Dominica: Reyno tours (email him at nightsunford@hotmail.com) send email no advance payment
Dominican Republic: trying to do swim with the dolphins@manatee park. Not too sure.
Hope this info helps.
Have fun.