Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Burning Question:)

I live in a colder climate and have never had a tan (yes I said never). How can I prevent getting burned on our cruise ths spring?
Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2004, 08:05 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to NICKI61
Default Re: Burning Question:)

Sunblock over 30 and shirts are the only thing other than staying out of the sun.

Nicki

Ruby Princess 11/08

HAL Westerdam 11/2007

NCL Dawn-2006

Carnival Destiny-2004

Carnival Spirit 2002
Old February 18th, 2004, 08:08 PM
First Mate

If you've never had a tan before....could this be due to your skin-type? I know some of my dearest Irish-American friends only get beet-red during summer, but simply can not produce a tan.

If not, then you can begin going to a tanning salon. The clerk will best be able to advise you on frequency and strength etc. You will most likely have to commit to every other day for a few weeks all the while increasing the amount of time you are in the booth/bed. It's a very controlled situation but best for those who do not wish to burn on thier first day in the Carribbean sun!!

I usually start my tanning-before-a-vacation about 2 weeks before and I go about 6 times in that time. I tan often and well, however, so your experience may be different.

Waters

Old February 18th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Kate,
I go to the tanning salon once a week starting about a month before cruise, then twice a week the week before cruising. I get a nice base and then no burn, you may want to give that a try for no more than 10 minutes and see how you do, you sure don't need to go on a cruise and get sun burned, its not fun at all.

Also, remember that once you are cruising, still use a high spf, the sun if very strong down there and you may not feel it at first.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 18th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Passenger

Even my husband (who tans easily) goes to a tanning booth a few times prior to vacation to get a "base" tan because the Carribean sun can be brutal compared to Minnesota! I'm more fair, so I start about a month ahead of time and go sllloowww! I buy an unlimited month package so I don't feel like I'm wasting my sessions when I only go 10 min in a 20 min bed. The gals laugh at how quickly I'm in and out, but I don't let myself burn and never increase my time until I can handle it without getting pink. If you have NEVER tanned, you may need to start at less than 10 min even. Good luck!

Carnival Fantasy
Old February 18th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Admiral

If you're worried about being lily white while everyone else on the ship looks native to the Caribbean, forget it. You will be amongst the majority.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 19th, 2004, 07:25 AM
First Mate

Use sunscreen and stay out of the sun during the middle of the day. Watch yourself carefully at other times and cover up as soon as you start to turn a little pink. Sunscreen does not prevent a burn, it just means you can stay in the sun longer before you get one. Personally, I am afraid to try a tanning salon. Have a great time.
Bobbie
Old February 20th, 2004, 01:20 AM
bonie

I agree with tanning salon. If you are very fair, then I would start 3-4 months ahead of your cruise.

I am medium skin but takes a long time for me to get a tan. I cruise in 10 weeks and have just started my tanning prior to my vacation.

On the other hand, my husband tans easily and starts about 1 month prior to vacation and has a great base when we leave.

Definitely you don't want to end up with a bad sun burn your first day of vacation. Even with 30 spf you can burn.

Start early in a tanning bed, then use 30 spf on your trip.

Good luck
Old February 20th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Burning Question:)

How about "Tan in the Can"?
Old February 20th, 2004, 09:19 PM
First Mate

Don't forget a hat of some sort....unless you are blessed with really thick hair.

We use sunscreen and find shade when at all possible.