Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2004, 01:41 PM
theCoach

Default Don't leave home without it !

My wife and I will be on our first cruise in April. As we prepare our packing list I wondered what is the one thing I should not forget.

So I ask all you previous cruisers. What is the most important thing(s) you pack when going on a cruise?

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Don't leave home without it !

A hair dyrer, even if your ship has one. If you have any amount of hair at all it will take you forever to get it dry with small ones that are provided on some of Carnivals ships. Bring your carnival cruise ship catalog, the one you can get from Carnival or any Travel Agent. These will really help you around the ship with more details. You will get a little fold out map but it does not show room numbers and that sort of thing. We always take these two with us.

Have a great cruise

Imagination 96
Destiny 97
Holiday 99
Fascination 01
Rotterdam 02
Conquest 07/03
Conquest 02/29/04
Old February 19th, 2004, 02:26 PM
First Mate

A very well-thought out carry-on bag Like a nice big tote bag that you carry right on to the plane.

In my experience, and it seems to be because I'm a woman.....I can get LOTS of essentials (listed below) into the smallest space because women just seem to have lighter-constructed clothes. My DB will try to bring the same type of stuff and then I beat him on the tiny sundress when he has to pack khakis and a shirt and nicer shoes (i can still wear my platform flip-flops that i'd wear with shorts with a sundress and look well-dressed!)

I know you read/hear about it all the time....but it really is wonderful to have it. I'd pack all that I needed under the assumption that I will not see my bags until AFTER dinner that first night. That means the bathing suit, sunblock, shorts, t-shirt, shower stuff, makeup stuff, and maybe a non-finicky sundress that can be folded and just quickly ironed for dinner (If needed).

Although that first night you can actually wear your shorts in the dinning room and you can always opt to eat dinner at the other more casual places. It's still nice to dress up a little for that wonderful first night.

Now you'll be all set no matter what time your bags arrive and you still feel like your vacation can begin

Happy Cruisin'
Waters

Old February 19th, 2004, 02:44 PM
ElationismyShip

A small purse - you won't want to be carring around your normal sized purse on the ship or on shore and I usually pack a very small purse that will fit over my head and shoulder that will hold my credit card, some cash, driver license, just essentials and carry that with me once I'm on the ship.
Old February 19th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Happy Camper

a multiple plug. One that plugs into the outlet and you can plug 2 or 3 more into it.

A radio/tape or CD player if you like music in your room or by headset by the pool.

Two magnets that go on the bottom of the shower curtain to weight it down and stick to the side so it doesn't stick to you!

One dollar bills...
Old February 19th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

one of those over-the-door plastic shoe organizer things. Know what I mean?
It's cheap, folds flat, and once you're on the ship, you can hang it over the closet or bathroom door & stash all your toiletries, etc in it. Easy to see what you've got thru the clear plastic, easy to access things, doesn't take up nonexistent counter space.

Enjoy your trip!
Triptakers
Old February 19th, 2004, 04:43 PM
pastordon

All of the above is good. The most important thing to bring is a good attitude and a great anticipation of fun. I always think of something I should have brought with me .....for about two seconds and then its back to the adventure!
Old February 19th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Also don't forget a small travel flashlight, they come in handy!

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 19th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

HI,
I also used a clothpin like device the I hook on my shower at home and I hang up my special hair towel. (turbi-twist) I packed my special towels, and I used them for haning up our swim suits.
Also zip lock bags the gallon size used them to pack my meds. in , lotions, make-up and hair products, just in case anything would spill or get crushed in transit. Small well lite alarm clock especially if you have an inside cabin. We also used silver duct tape to label our luggage on the handle. It great for the airport and after the cruise trying to find your suitcases among the hundreds in your area. Before cleaning our your purse and leaving all of your junk at home don't forget a card with a magnitic strip on it for the safe. We used our AAA but our Kroger's card would work as well.

Carnival Victory
Old February 19th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Admiral

A surge protector strip with at least 4 extra electrical outlets (for the charger for your digital camera, camcorder charger, nightlight, digital clock radio).

It came in real handy on our last cruise!

Old February 19th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Bring something for sea sickness, just incase. They do have it on the ship if you forget.
Bring sunscreen, that sun will cook you before you know it. I took a small spray bottle and filled it with cold water while at the pool. It was a big hit and our entire group fought over who would get the cold mist next. It sure did save us in that heat. Something else we all took with us was a backpack to use while in port. Also we used binoculars a lot while at sea. You will see things out there and wonder what they are. It was fun zooming in on other ships also. Have FUN!!!

Old February 19th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Don't leave home without it !

That's funny about zooming in cause our camcorder does that and I found that was very useful!!! I was able to see the people all waving goodbye when we left the port of miami. It was so neat.

Old February 19th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Disposable underwater cameras if you plan on scuba diving or snorkeling, they are about $7 at the major discount dept stores OR you can buy them onboard for $20!!!

Enjoy!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old February 19th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Tuscani

I always bring a tiny wallet or ID holder that I can where around my neck. Your DL shows on one side and your soda card or Sail and Sign card on the other side. All of these cards are waterproof so you can where this anywhere and always have your hands free for other things....like...drinks! or beach towels or hand rails on the stairs. Also, you won't lose it. My recent cruise we went to Walmart and bought several of these for 97 cents each. We ended up giving the extra ones to our freinds so they could use them. Enjoy!
\

Elation 020104
Holiday 103102
Old February 19th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Anyone mention the duct tape, an old t shirt to swim in when sunburned, also the balloon for the door (hung with duct tape) the balloon for the porthole (hung with duct tape) so you can see your stateroom from shore 2 underwater cameras, a back up camera and film, in case your digital goes out, the corkscrew, the box of wine and the bottles for the nice dinners! I loved the 20 pair of shoes rack over the door. we shoved everything in there, a night light too.

Norwegian Sea

Yankee Clipper Windjammer 1978
Celebration 01/04
Old February 19th, 2004, 09:24 PM
theCoach

Wow !
Some great suggestions. I like the over the door shoe plastic rack, and the small plastic wallet idea.

Keep the suggestions coming
theCoach
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:49 PM
elationismyship

Wow, I love the balloon idea so you can pick out your room - great idea. We always wonder which room is ours from the shore but it's too hard to tell.
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Passenger

I am normally not a person who takes lots of medications at home, but on the cruise it is definitely good to have some tums (for all that over-eating) and something for headaches. You may not need them, but it is nice to know they are available, and they would cost you alot more on the boat.

My last cruise I had a swimsuit with a pocket that would zip closed, which was very convenient for carrying my cruise card and other small items without fear of forgetting about them and losing them in the ocean. it is also nice to have a pair of aquasock style shoes or some athletic sandals that you can wear into the ocean to protect your feet.

Don't forget your sunscreen, lotion for after a long day of sun, sunglasses, and possibly bug spray depending on your planned excursions. I also needed a travel alarm clock to let me know when it was time to get going. Everything else would be the usual stuff you need for vacations. This time I am taking my own snorkel as well as a cheap little raft that I got for $2 so I won't have to rent one on the beaches.

Hope this helps.
Keith
Old February 20th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Passenger

Walkie-Talkies. If your wife (or husband, I quess) is always wandering away a set of walkie-talkies will end a lot of frustration when trying to find her. You can find a good set for about $10-$20 that will work up to 2-5 miles.

Post Edited (02-20-04 09:03)
Old February 20th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Passenger

If you have a balcony room, take a bungie cord to hold you door open if you so desire.

Another suggestion...
If the light from the hallway that sneaks under your door bothers you, use one of your room towels rolled up lengthwise as a buffer. This also reduces hallway noise.

Old February 20th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sunscreen/Natural

If you like to snorkle you should consider wearing natural sunscreen. Matter of fact, any other types are forbidden in ecological parks. I was looking for a natural brand on google and found this article. My face burned badly because I had no natural sunscreen. I wore a tshirt with sleeves to avoid aggravating my burned shoulders and back.

MEDIA NEWS
According to the March 2001 magazine "Sport DIVER," Discovery Cove and other marine parks use exclusively Caribbean Pacific products because the parks found wash-off from regular chemical-based sunscreens that could harm their animals. They also mentioned that they are safe and effective, while not endangering reefs or marine creatures. The Miami Herald, April 19th edition, related that a study concluded "It was actually an industry innovator, being the first manufacturer to produce a totally natural, completely chemical-free sun care product."

Norwegian Sea

Yankee Clipper Windjammer 1978
Celebration 01/04
Old February 20th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Re: Sunscreen/Natural

Great idea! Costly, though. Anyone know if the SPF 25 made by Sunshine Soapworks is any good? (price is much better...) Is there some sort of regulating of sunscreens, so you know if it'll really work?
Old February 21st, 2004, 08:01 AM
Ashkins

Take a personal size first aid kit.

2 years ago when we were in St Marteen my son cut his foot open on a beach chair when trying to take a QUICK look at Orient beach. Took 15 minutes to find a bathroom to clean it because no one spoke english and they don't use terms as we do like Band-Aid.

Hmm I still have the bottle of disinfectant we bought there too.. need to trash it its been too long.

Ashkins
Old February 21st, 2004, 09:01 AM
Bungalow Bill

This will be our first cruise, so I don't know if my suggestion has any merit, but I will be taking a floating wrist-key to secure door and/or safe keys. They cost $3.99 on Overton's site.
Old February 21st, 2004, 02:54 PM
CruisinKelly

I went on our first cruise in January and we brought everything that was suggested on boards. We found we didn't need half of it, but would not have lived without the alarm clock for the room, also be sure and bring some type of watch - I thought I would just use my cell phone clock but it only worked when you had a signal and the ship changes time from the natural time sometimes so bring a watch and set it by ship time to make sure you don't miss the ship departing while in port.

The other thing we brought was a cooler (bought at K-mart for $24.00) that looked like a piece of luggage with wheels and a pull handle, filled it with water and Pepsi, tagged it as a piece of luggage and they delivered to the room with the rest of our luggage. We tipped our purser a little extra the first day to keep ice in it and he filled it twice a day. It saved a ton of money and we always had something cold to drink in the room.

Also suggest that you take the early debarkation off the ship if you can. We did this and were off the ship, through customs and one our way in 30 minutes.

Have a great trip, I had so much fun we are planning one for next year.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 08:49 AM
Krys

WELL HERE WERE SOME OF THE SUJESTIONS I HAVE HEARD SO FAR, HOPES IT HELPS

THINGS TO PACK FOR THE CRUISE IN A CARRY ON

BATHING SUIT
TUMS
SUNBLOCK
HEADACHE MEDICINE
SHORTS & SHIRT
SHOWER STUFF
MAKEUP STUFF
NATURAL SUN BLOCK
CLOTHES FOR DINNER
DUCK TAPE
SAFTY PINS
CAMERA
PERSONAL FIRST AIDE KIT

TO PACK IN LUGAGE

HAIR DRYER
SUN GLASSES
MULTI PLUG
BUG SPRAY FOR THE ISLANDS
EXTENTION CORD
AQUASOCK STYLE SHOES
SHOE ORGINIZER
CHEEP LITTLE WATER RAFT
HOOKS FOR OVER THE DOOR
WALKIE TALKIES
SMALL FLASH LIGHT
BUNGIE CORD
LG ZIP LOCK BAGS
ALARM CLOCK
COOLER WITH WHEELS
SMALL SPRAY BOTTLE
RADIO/CD PLAYER
DISPOSABLE UNDERWATER CAMERA
PLUNTY OF FILM
BINOCULARS
CLEAR ID HOLDER ON A STRING
Old February 22nd, 2004, 11:02 AM
theCoach

Hey Krys, thanx for the recap. But you forgot to mention:

BALLOONS (prederably the ones you can make animals with to keep you busy)
EXTRA BATERIES ( for whatever you bring which reauires batteries) sensative issue
SHIP LAYOUT ( you wouldn't not know where you are )
SMALL PURSE (for those $1 bills)
MAGNETS (for shower curtain) huh?
ONE DOLLAR BILLS (to prove to all how big of a tipper you really are)
SMALL TRAVEL FLASHLIGHT (for those romantic evening in your stateroom)
GOOD ATTITUDE (you'll need it with all this stuff your packing)
SURGE PROTECTOR
BACKPACK
CAMCORDER (for those precious moments when your wife isn't at poolside)
BINOCULARS (for bird watchin, right fellas)
TINY WALLET (for your small bills)
OLD T-SHIRT (preferably from "Old Navy")
SNORKEL EQUIPMENT (to save on rentals)
SMALL RAFT (in the event you're on Titanic)
BUNGIE CORD (for when your bored at sea)
DISINFECTANT
FLOATING KEY FOB (so when you fall off the main deck your keys won't sink)

You know Krys, this is a very impressive list. Maybe we should publish it somewhere on this website for others to benefit from. As it stands so far I will need to buy just one more suitcase. FOR ALL THIS STUFF!

theCoach

Oh, by the way Krys - it's DUCT tape not DUCK (or is there something I don't know)
Old February 22nd, 2004, 11:13 AM
shipbound

If you are allergic to any medications I would bring a Medic alert bracelet or wrist band.
Your Insurance card may be a good thing to bring, Those are the things hopefully no one will have to use while on vacation but if needed they could save your life.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 04:55 PM
Passenger

Graet suggestions!!!!!

The Carnival Victory 04
Norweigan Norway 03
Norweigan Sea 00
Old February 22nd, 2004, 09:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

You should also never leave home without your alcohol