Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Passenger

Default Western Caribbean

Okay.. I am trying to find out some important information...:0)
We leave for the western carb. 3/6 on the triumph. ports are grand caymans, ocho rios, and cozumel. From all you past cruisers to these ports, please name me some "must visit" resturants/bars and shopping areas. And if you know, what is the best way to get to these area as far as transportation.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2004, 01:17 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Western Caribbean

Must do's: Grand Cayman - stingray city, Ocho Rios: Dunn's river falls, Cozumel: shopping.
Old February 20th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Todd Welch

I was on the Triumph in January and went to these ports. Read my review in the Ship reviews section for all the details.

Todd
Old February 20th, 2004, 02:09 PM
jeane

Duns River falls definitely, also Tajmah Hall shopping, make sure you snorkle also, was so much fun.

Grand Caymen, found lots of shops that we liked, bought some pretty jewelry.

Just got back last Friday, had a ball.

Jeane
Old February 20th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Hoot Star

In Cosumel (watch the jewery shopping ie: if it is real or not)
I would recommend Pocho's Backyard downtown just past the Havana Cigar Shop. After shopping a taxi ride to Mr. Sanche'z Beach for $14.00 up to four people is great to just go relaxe in the sun kissed beach and try to snorkle. The outdoor bar has swings to sit at.
In Grand Cayman we never ate there but did the 7 mile beach (marine beach) via a public bus for $2.50 per person and then after that we were offered a free ride by a passer-by on the road at the bus stop. She kindly and without asking any money for the ride took all three of us to the gorcery store for Pepsi not Coke, the liquar store away from the ship. (No box stuff for them to hold for the last day), and then she returned us back to our ship dock . She was a native and very freindly. We chatted all the way and found out that she works at Papa Johns Pizza in Grand Caymen. We asked about the ways of life there and had no problems or any strings attached for the good deed she did. She was nice. My two sisters and I can't say enough about the people we met along the way.
In Ocho Rios, Jamaica it is a must for Dunn River Falls. Bring waterproof camera, ID, watershoes, vary little cash or credit card, then right after that head to Margaritaville for a cold one and some cruisemate memories. This is by far our favorite port during ou trip. I quess it depends on what you want to do and who much can you spend?
My final advise is simply a smile to the many hard workers out there trying to make your vacation the best it can be, goes a long way.
Triumph Cruiser 2-7-004 through 2-14-04
Old February 20th, 2004, 09:17 PM
First Mate

Los Cinco Soles has a wide range of merchandise that seems to be better than some of the others....it's been our favorite store in Cozumel the two times we've been there.
They now have one at the pier so you don't have to go into town...the selection wasn't as good but the prices were the same on the items we checked.
Old February 20th, 2004, 11:21 PM
Kellee

Default Re: Re: Western Caribbean

Sandy, youmentioned "Los Cinco Soles" ...is this a shopping place? What kinds of things do they specialize in?
Old February 21st, 2004, 09:16 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

We are doing this itinerary on 3/28 Victory. WE were in Grand Cayman and Jamaica in 1990 and I was in Cozumel 11/02. Thus, we have done some of the MUSTS.
Plans:
Grand Cayman - Snorkle w/ Stingrays (booked privately)
Cozumel - Chanakaab park (do on own)/diving? (resort course for beginners for DD)
Jamaica - deciding between river tubing and rafting (booked privately)
Old February 22nd, 2004, 09:36 AM
Passenger

Grand Cayman - Stingray City
Jamacia - Dunn's Falls
Cozumel- If you like shopping this is the place for bargins / Go by Carlos' N' Charlie's great it and not too high on food and drinks!