Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2004, 08:05 PM
Passenger

Default They put our luggage on wrong ship!!

We just returned from our first cruise, Fascination 2/16-2/20, myself,husband and 3 children, ages 15,13,10. I would like to say we really enjoyed ourselves but it was all wrong from the getgo! I had my two daughters clothes in one large suitcase,and I do mean ALL thier clothes,and they put it on the Imagination instead of our Fascination. The ironic thing is when we got off the airport shuttle we basically tripped over our bags and I asked the porters if we had to take the luggage to the ship, and the porter said "you pay us to take it over". I have read these message boards and knew that the average tip was $1 a bag, well my hubby paid $2 a bag, and we happily went on our way.By the time 8:00 rolled around we had four bags and was missing the fifth. The purser said it was probably the airport's fault, until my husband lost his patience, and he is usually a very calm man, and point blank told her they must of put it on the other ship. Then the fun started....(screaming) The purser suggested that we could wrap our children in sheets..yes I said sheets, or we could rent tuxedos. It took two days to confirm it was on the other ship. Then they thought giving us a $100.00 credit in the gift shop would make us happy. Now I know this is probably a long winded story but you have to understand that this was our very first family vacation,months of savings,months of shopping for our "formal wear" (we dont get dressed up at all) and we were looking forward to dressing up and having a nice dinner, at least something better than mcdonalds lol, When we turned around from the purser and saw our two girls crying, it broke our hearts. We couldn't go to dinner or go swimming. I spent my vacation washing underware and socks in the sink! When we got to Key West, we had to spend our fun money on shorts and teeshirts and didn't get to have fun. And trust me its very difficult to find childrens clothes or childrens bathing suits that wasnt $90.00 a piece.
I am goint to the travel agent tommorrow to see what can be done, but when you spend $5000.00 just to have 2 little girls criing it just doesnt seem right.
I must add that when we were in Cozzumel we had the BEST time!! lots of fun at channkanub park. We still had an ok time on the ship and I know that if we had that suit case I wouldnt of had a single complaint, honestly, but I believe our vacation was a total let down.
If any one has any suggestion of what I should do now it would be very helpful. I enjoyed reading the boards and they helped me bring things that I wouldnt of thought of. Thumbs up to two things...bungee cords for the door and power strips.
Thanks everyone for reading all of this!
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2004, 08:45 PM
Tim Shaddix

Default Re: They put our luggage on wrong ship!!

I am so sorry I hope this does not turn you off to cruises. Your TA should be able to help you. Same thing happen to wife and myself on our 7 day honeymoon cruise several years ago. After lengthy letter and several calls, they gave us 250 a piece in vouchers.
Old February 21st, 2004, 08:58 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: They put our luggage on wrong ship!!

I am torn over cruiseing again. I would first say a definate NO but then I have to think maybe as long as I got my luggage. I could see we would of had a good time but it just didn't happen. You didnt happen to be on our plane last night, US Air , because a gentlemen told us a similar story about lost luggage on his cruise honeymoon.
Old February 21st, 2004, 09:19 PM
Feyd

I know this won't help after the fact.....but never put ALL of anyones clothes in one suitcase. Always split everyones' things up among all the baggage. Initially, I pack each person in their own bag to be sure everything is included and then I swap several outfits for each person between the bags. This avoids one person being left high and dry if luggage is lost or misdirected. So sorry you had a bad experience.
Old February 21st, 2004, 09:27 PM
Passenger

I did put a one shirt and one pair of shorts in carryon for everyone but my thinking was we are from New York and it was 10 below when we left, so if it was hot when we got there we could change out of our jeans and long sleeved shirts. I never really dreamed about lost luggage. I havent read anything about lost luggage on this board so I guess it didnt enter my mind. Lesson learned!! My packing skills will be improved now.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 10:00 AM
shipbound

I have never heard of this happening to anyone. The Ships name is on the tag and the colors are different for each ship. I would write a letter to CCL and tell them what happened. If you have some type of documentation that this occured that would help.
Good luck !!!!

Gary.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Same situation happened to some people on our Spirit sailing a couple of weeks ago.

I believe the problem has to do with confusion caused by the construction going on at the Miami pier.

The bag drop off areas aren't as seperated for the different terminals as they normally are.

Porters obviously aren't paying as much attention as they should, in some cases, and just tossing luggage into bins, without noting which ship.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 22nd, 2004, 01:20 PM
Passenger

My DH and I were sailing on Paradise on what we call our one and only "Almost a nightmare trip". We decided to cruise at the last minute and could only get a same day flight out. We found a 7:30 AM flight out of Dallas and thought that would be....OK... WRONG !!!! NEVER, NEVER...Never, Never, Never flight out the same day. We have always preached this to others only to get caught ourselves. Anway, after circling Miami ad nauseum, then circling the Keys for another 40 min's, then...needing to land in Fort Myers to refuel,....then....circle Miami again., we finally landed in Miami 4 hours late. Fortunately, because the only airefare was through Carnival, we were able to take advantage of the Carnival shuttle which was being held for us. Also, fortunately, my husband and I spyed our luggage (Painted like cowhide) all the way down on another luggage carousel. How it got there, who know's. Anyway, we were hustled out to the bus to take us to the ship. After a short ride we were then told the Paradise people had to get off and switch buses. It was at this point my patience for the day, RAN OUT !!!! The folks refused to transfer our luggage from the first bus to the "PARADISE" bus. I then decided I had better take the situation into my own hands. With having a lot of experience with loading band instruments under many, many charter buses for by son's High School Band, I opened the doors with an experienced flare and started to retrieve our luggage. (Also adding a few sailor like comments) With that four other Paradise cruisers joined in. This is when the baggage people "decided" to help transfer the luggage so that it would be put on the Paradise. Hmmm, I guess they only needed a little bit of gentle persuasion. The bus was driven directly inside the port terminal where we were taken though a side door to very quickly check in. We made it to the gangplank, no welcome aboard pictures, and the doors were closed behind us. I breathed a sigh of relief when our luggage was delivered to our cabin about an hour later. Moral of this story, Always fly at least the day before and keep your luggage in sight whenever you can.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 05:23 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Bo

Glad you at least had a good time in Cozumel. At least you've got a few good memories of our cruise. There were seven of us that never even got out of Albany on the 14th for our cruise but some of the luggage from our group had a wonderful 7 day ride on the Glory. In retrospect, maybe some of us should have packed ourselves.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:10 PM
Passenger

Did you happen to go thru liberty travel in wilton mall? We went to the TA today and she said that carnival is getting alot of complaints and that there was a guy who never got out of albany. Our daughters clothes had a fun filled trip to the bahamas.
Heres the small update...I am in the process of writing a 5 page letter to carnival that the TA will forward on to Carnival. I am going to ask for the replacement cost of all our formal clothes and a little bit more for the rude way that they treated us...wanting to wrap our kids in sheets. We are not trying to be greedy about it but I truly feel I need some kind of compensation. I would like to hear some more opinions if anyone thinks I am asking to much or to little. The cruise wasnt a total lost cause but it was severly crippled.
Thanks.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:52 PM
Copperhead626

Hi Vanessa;

Sorry to hear about the problems with the suitcases. You are doing the right thing by sending a letter to Carnival documenting the problem. The purser needs training in how to handle problems like this.

Some tips for travelling in the future whether a cruise or land trip. Always mix up the clothes among all the suitcases. My parents did this all the time so that if a suitcase got lost everyone always had clothes to wear. With five kids in the family we always seemed to lose a suitcase. My husband and I also carry an extra day of clothing along with our swimsuits on our carry on luggage. If you come from a cold climate layer clothes rather than wearing that big heavy turtleneck and you will have a couple of extra tops should the suitcase get lost.

Most cruise lines are good at responding to complaints but if you don't hear anything back within a couple of weeks you may need to contact them by phone. Be persistent and they will have to deal with your claim.

Good luck
Old February 22nd, 2004, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Vanessa - did you get your lost bag back?? If they know where it is, are they going to get it back to you?

If they are going to return the bag to you, I feel that asking to be reimbursed for all your formal cloths is asking for a little too much. However, you can and should be compensated for the rude treatment from the Pursers' staff! What they said was unconscionable!

I will suggest that your letter should have a neutral tone - not an anger filled letter, because those are usually ignored! Calmly point out what happend and what you think should be done to rectify the situation to your satisfaction and what you think Carnival can do to prevent this from happening in the future. Highlight the positives of your cruise and compliment those who did try and make it better (were your waiters and stateroom attendants good? Did they try and please you - you did say that if the luggage incident did not happen it would have been a great vacation - point that out in the letter!)

Old February 23rd, 2004, 12:01 AM
Passenger

Thank you to everyone responding! Let me answer a few question. The bag was supposed to get back to Miami on saturday,a day after us, and they were going to send back to new york to our house, havent confirmed that yet. the number they gave me is only open M-F. I do feel I should be somewhat compensated for the formal wear clothes because we wouldnt have bought them other for the special dinner. I spent $600 on 5 outfits which is cheap! 2 mens suit w/ shoes, 3 "fancy" dress,w/shoes. I would have never bought these items. we just folk from cow country new york. we dont get dressed up. I worked really hard on My letter, I think I did a good job in explaining without being rude myself. I did praise our steward richard.I also said with the proper attention to this complaint it would help them in the future to plan for this type problem. and as for my packing abilities......well I found this website shortly after I booked. I have read everything I can get my hands on. I treated this site like a bible if you will. I havent seen a single post about lost luggage so maybe this is a way I can add to the Advice part of this board since I am an offical cruiser now! I would like to offically add to all the "what should I pack" post for first time cruiser. WHEN PACKING FOR YOUR FIRST CRUISE, IT IS A GREAT IDEA TO TO MIX UP EVERYONES OUTFITS IN CASE OF LOST LUGGAGE...THANK YOU..THIS IS YOUR CAPTIN SPEAKING. ***vanessa takes a bow....

heheheheheheheh
Old February 23rd, 2004, 12:12 AM
Passenger

we didn't see any waiters we just did the buffets in the coconut groove ... and to be honest with you we really didnt have any interaction with anybody. no one was rude to us other than purser but no one was really friendly..dont know if that is a good or bad thing
Old February 23rd, 2004, 12:21 AM
Beginner

Vanessa,

I'm really sorry to hear about your daughter luggage. I don't think that you are asking for too much. I am a 22 year old female who is really into clothes. I am going on this same cruise on March 7 and I have bought all new clothes (shorts, shirts, formals, you get the point!). I would be devastated and not want to leave my room if my clothes were lost and I had 1 outfit to wear for 1 week. I can't believe that they thought that $100 would be compensation enought. Not only did it affect your daughters time, but also your because as a mom you worry about your daughters being happy. On a mistake like that I think that they sould compensate you fully. I am going with my family (20 people) and if something like that happen and I was treated the way you were there would be 20 people giving negitive reviews for CCL. I hope that everything turns out ok. And I know that the night before my cruise i'll be putting 1 outfit in each of my family members bags.

Old February 23rd, 2004, 07:19 AM
Admiral

Sorry about your experience, Vanessa, guess that makes a good point for keeping an eye on your luggage until it gets on the same bus you are on...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old February 23rd, 2004, 07:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Vanessa,
Just my own opinion but I wouldn't limit your request to the cost of your clothes and a little extra for your trouble. To me that would be letting them off cheap. I think nothing less than the cost of your vacation would be in order. They may offer you another cruise. I have read many stories about Pursers rudeness. On my last cruise I was at the Pursers desk behind a woman talking to the purser. I don't know what the request was she was making but when she walk away the purser made rude faces behind her back a couple of nasty comments right in front of us. It was so uncalled for. I am so sorry to hear about your vacation especially for the children. You were treated badly.
Good luck.
Arlene
Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Vanessa,
Let me clarify my last post. By suggesting what you want from them at the start may get you less than what they will ultimatly offer. I wonder if you let them make a preliminary offer of compensation (assuming they will make one) and go from there. Also a five page letter (although you are justified) may be a bit long. You are assuming that they care and will want to read it. From what I have read in the past Carnival is not exactly known for their excellent customer service. I would send certified letters to different principles of the company. i.e. President, CEO, ect. If you restrict a letter to one person then that letter may never get to where it needs to go. I have a feeling you are in for a lot of work but it may pay off. Again this is my own opinion and it may not be of any help but I am very sad that this happened to you. Good luck and please keep us posted as to the outcome. Don't give up. Thats what they count on.
Arlene
Old February 23rd, 2004, 10:00 AM
First Mate

I feel that the attitude of the purser is unexcusable, that being said however the porters(baggage handlers) are not Carnival empolyees. They are employees of the port authority. Due to union rules (longshoremen) Carnival must use them and not there own empolyees. I therefore do not see where Carnival is responsible for reimbursement in this case, that what insurance is for.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Jedgar is correct about the porters, but I don't believe Carnival is blameless. They contract out this service, they wrote the contract the luggage handler company signed, and they have responsibility to administer the contract. Both are culpable IMO.

I am saddened to hear of your plight but to ask for a complete reimbursement of your cruise is a bit much I think. After all, you were fed, you had a cabin, your were delivered to the ports, you used the ship, etc. You did partake of all that was contracted between you and the cruiseline except for the times you couldn't go or do something because of the lost luggage. I would ask for compensation for those events you had to forfeit because of their deficiencies in delivering your luggage and for the clothing purchases you had to make.

For future reference, be on the safe side and tote as much as you can through carryon. I know it can be a bit of a hassle to lug that extra weight through the lines to embark but for an hour of aggravation you'll have a weeks worth of enjoyment.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 23rd, 2004, 10:47 PM
Passenger

Let me clarify a couple things....I am not looking for full refund, I am not that way, Just what is fair,no more, no less. The insurance covers lost luggage, mine was not lost, it was mishandled, and when we got OFF the shuttle bus we almost trip over the bag in question and I specifically asked the porter about it. I asked if we were to take the bags now so I was fully prepared to take control of my bag but I followed the rules instead. paid an extra tip and trusted that this porter would do his job. I am a cook, and if I burn a steak when it was ordered rare doesnt the customer deserve another steak cook right or do I make them eat the burned one? and yes I did make the mistake of packing incorrectly but I have never done this before. I have learned my lesson and I think Carnival can learn also.
Old February 28th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Passenger

I think you are expecting too little!! Honestly! No way would I let this go unless they gave me another cruise without charge! I mean that. I too am not one who tries to get something for nothing, but all you people who say it was too much to ask, unless you walk in her shoes I just don't think you have any idea the misery these people went through . While you and your group enjoyed going to your cabin and dressing up to the hilt, these poor people had no choice whatsoever to choose and pick from their wardrobe. Even the simplest of pleasures were not there for them, like sundresses or the clothing the girls had specifically chosen for their cruise attire. How sad it must have been for them. Everytime I would have seen others dressed up I would have been miserable and I am sure they were. I understand they spent some of their own spending money to buy some things, but I am sure they were rushed and spent time shopping rather than touring and that is another thing I have a gripe about. While you all were touring or doing your own thing, they had to be forced to waste their time buying and replacing this clothing. GO FOR A FREE CRUISE! The cruise line owes you that much!
Old February 28th, 2004, 07:03 PM
First Mate

The cruise line owes them nothing. It was not the cruise line that put their bags on the wrong ship it was the port authorities specifically the porters and longshoremen whom are employees of the port authority not the cruise line. The cruise line does not handle the baggae at all until the baggage is already on the ship.
Old February 28th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Passenger

Wow, that really sucks. Do you know if you can just carry yours own bags onboard? Was the shuttle part of Carnival or a private company? I would write a letter to all parties involved and demand $$$ back. It is our first cruise as well and I can just imagine how you felt (especially the kids). I have a short fuse so i'll leave my gun at home.
Old February 29th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Bob123

I would like to know if you can handle your own bags also?
Old February 29th, 2004, 01:18 PM
First Mate

The only bags that you can carry on board are one which will fit thru the xray scanners and Carnival states the scanner opening is 11" x 17'.
The shuttle is a company that Carnival contracts with. The porters and other port workers are port authorities employees and Carnival has no choise but to use them or they could not use the port (that goes for all US ports).
Old February 29th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Passenger

This issue has me wondering ... We recently booked our cruise with Carnival and did it directly through one of the carnival travel advisors. We opted to do the flight, transfers, etc through them. I was told by our TA that once we board the plane, they take care of everything. If our flight is delayed and we miss the boat, they are responsible to make that right. Why, then, wouldn't they also be responsible to get our luggage there as well?
Old February 29th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

ticket contract

(c) Carnival shall not be liable for: (1) Guest's failure to comply with the requirements set forth in Clauses 4(a) and 4(b); (2) any loss or damage before baggage comes into Carnival's actual custody on board or after baggage leaves Carnival's actual custody on board, including, but not limited to, loss or damage by airlines or other transportation services; (3) any loss or damage of baggage while not in the actual possession, custody and control of Carnival; (4) damage due to wear, tear or normal usage; (5) any loss or damage of perishable items, medicine, liquor, cash, securities or other financial instruments, or (6) any loss or damage while in the custody and control of stevedores.

(d) It is stipulated and agreed that the aggregate value of Guest's property, does not exceed $50 per guest or bag with a maximum value of $100 per stateroom regardless of the number of occupants or bags and any liability of Carnival for any cause whatsoever with respect to said property shall not exceed such sum, unless the Guest shall in writing, delivered to Carnival, prior to embarkation, declare the true value thereof and pay to Carnival prior to embarkation a sum equal to 5% of the excess of such value. If Carnival shall be held liable for the loss of or damage to Guest's baggage or property it is agreed that such liability shall not exceed the lesser of: (1) the actual cash value, or (2) value declared in the manner above provided (up to U.S. $100 if no such declaration has been made). Declared value amounts to be proportionately reduced in any case where less than all of Guest's baggage or property is lost, delayed or rendered unusable due to damage. In no event shall Carnival be liable to pay any compensation if the nature or value of the property has been misrepresented.
Old February 29th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Admiral

That really sucks...however did you have travel insurance? At least they would have helped replace the clothes.

Old February 29th, 2004, 06:40 PM
First Mate

Islandgram
Regarding your luggage what you were told is not true. When you arrive at the air port you are responsible to claim your luggage, then find the Carnival rep. who will lead you to your bus (will not leave until full) you will turn your bags over to the bus driver who will load them on the bus. When you arrivbe at the port you will have to calim you bags from the bus driver and then give them to a porter. At some ports the bus pulls up next to a large bin, at which a porter will be standing, you point out you bags and he puts them into the bin. You are not allowed to put the bags in the bin yourself (union regulations) and don't forget to tip the porter or else who knows what may happen to your bags.