Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2004, 07:38 PM
Beginner

Default Alcoholic Drinks

Need a little help! We are going on Carnival Inspiration in March with 3 - 19 year olds. We remember our 18 year old son able to buy beer on Royal Carribean a couple years ago. I understand the guidelines to be 21 and older to buy alcohol. Can anyone tell me what they have witnessed on the boat? Have you seen a difference between the sale of beer and hard liquer?
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2004, 11:54 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Alcoholic Drinks

The drinking age on Carnival is 21 for any and all alcoholic beverages, including beer and wine. When a bartender enters the purchasers folio number into the register (which is done for each and every purchase) it will notify the bartender that the purchaser is under 21. That being said underage persons do seem to be able to talk someone over 21 to buy for them, however if caught the offending person(s) could be put off the ship at the next port (and yes that has happened, in fact entire familys have been put off due to unruly drunken behavior by a underage family member).
Old February 22nd, 2004, 11:57 PM
First Mate

Below is Carnival's policy. Copied and pasted from their web site.

Guests may purchase a variety of beverages onboard the ship. Alcoholic beverages will not be sold or served to anyone under the age of 21. We reserve the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the ship's gift shop or in ports of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Note: The legal drinking age onboard is 21 and is strictly enforced. We do not allow the purchase of drinks or bottles of liquor by adults for minors. Possession of alcohol by a minor will not be tolerated and any found will be confiscated, even if found in cabin.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 01:26 PM
Tenley

when i just recently went on Fascination, both of my brother (19 and 18) were offered drinks many times by the people walking around serving them....especially on the nights like champange was free....my parents would then proceed to tell the people that they were under 21 and how dare they ask if they would want a drink....

the rule is definitly not strictly enforced.....
Old February 24th, 2004, 12:05 AM
LT

Can you bring your own alcohol onboard with your luggage or they strictly want you to purchase from them?
Old February 24th, 2004, 11:51 AM
First Mate

When you go to your local restaurant, night club or bar do you bring your own alcohol or do you buy from them.
Old February 24th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Alcoholic Drinks

I am sorry to see such a radical answer from Jedgar, here.

"Dad", I suggest you read the Soda Card thread for an eye opening experience. I am not saying that your underage teenager should or should not consume alcohol on board. However, I object to comparisons that make no sense in the present context:

"When you go to your local restaurant, night club or bar do you bring your own alcohol or do you buy from them."

And yes, when we go to certain restaurants, and night clubs, we can bring your liquor and pay a "set-up" fee, in Texas, just like you can pay a corkage fee on Carnival when you take your own wine to the dining table.

Norwegian Sea

Yankee Clipper Windjammer 1978
Celebration 01/04
Old February 24th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Beginner

I will not allow my children to drink alcohol if the age is indeed 21. My son was able to consume beer but no hard liquer on Royal Caribbean a couple years ago. I simply wondered if that was the case on Carnival.
Old February 24th, 2004, 06:52 PM
First Mate

Fighterone

If you would look at the post above the one I posted that you stated was radical and not in context with the question asked you just might reconsider your post.
Old February 25th, 2004, 01:16 PM
cantw82cruz

We were on the Conquest recently and our 20 year old son was not able to purchase drinks with his sail and sign card but if my husband bought a bucket of beer, nobody questioned our son having one. In our province the drinking age is 18 so it irritated him a bit that he couldn't purchase his own drinks. What I'm saying is that you will have to buy their drinks but the waiters don't care who the drink is for as long as the sail and sign card belongs to someone of age.
Old February 26th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Passenger

I traveled on the Pride this past summer after just turning 21. When I boarded I was told that a sign & sail card was sufficient for proof of age. However, after one or two occasions of bartenders asking for ID, I started carrying my driver's license around with me. They said that they still need ID because I could be using somebody else's card.

However, some servers would look funny at me when I pulled at my ID when ordering alcoholic beverages. I think it depends who you get.

Maybe I just didn't look 21
Old February 26th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Beginner

Thanks for your comments. They are very helpful!