Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Passenger

Default Passport Necessary

We have a cruise booked on the conquest to the western carib. in march.We were thinking of getting passports just in case we needed them, however we were told by the office that it could take up to six weeks to get them back after applying.Has anyone had any problems that they would'nt have had with a passport?

Sailing the Conquest
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2004, 07:04 PM
victory cruiser

Default Re: Passport Necessary

In Canada if you show proof of urgency, You can have your passports delivered to you in 10 days... I am not sure where you live but hopefully they could do the same for you.
Old February 25th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to barbie_doll

ive been on 5 cruises in the carribean, never needed a passport, a birth crtif will do just fine, ive enver been asked for more then an i d
Old February 25th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Admiral

While you should have no problems (I'm assuming you're a United States citizen), I strongly recommend getting a Passport upon your return. Makes travel more convenient.

Old February 26th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Passenger

You can get a passport through a special service in as little as one day if you are willing to pay about $300. Or, you can go through normal channels and get an "expedited" delivery in 2 weeks for about $160. Just check the Dept. of State website.

I've traveled with and without a passport and never saw a difference--except the U.S. officials, upon returning, sometimes claim that it is better to have a passport. They can scan the passport and immediately see if you are an "evil doer" or not. With a birth certificate they have to do a name search which isn't as effective.

The only problems I have heard of with a birth certificate is when it doesn't have a "raised seal". If it is just a copy of a certificate with a raised seal you could have a problem.

I would get a passport for future travels. If you decide to go to any country outside of the Caribbean, Canada, or Mexico you will need one. If you get it at your leisure, and don't pay all the special service fees, it will only cost you about $85 and is good for 10 years.
Old February 26th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I just got passports for my children. We're cruising in April so I just sent them through without paying an expedited fee. Got them in about 3 weeks. My TA suggested the passports since we travel outside the US frequently. Before this we always used their birth certificates and never had a problem.
Old February 26th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

It took me 3.5 weeks to get mine. I'm told that if you note on your application that your trip is coming soon (there's a spot to do this), you might see yours faster.