Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2004, 12:18 PM
TexCroozer

Default RENTING A JEEP IN COZUMEL

I will be in Cozumel in May and would like to rent a jeep for about 4 or 5 hours. I will be on The Carnival Elation and was wondering if there are jeep rentals at the pier where we dock. I was there in November last year and did a ship sponsored excursion so i didnt really notice the rentals. Anyone w/ any info would be greatly appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Happy Camper

Default Re: RENTING A JEEP IN COZUMEL

We ended up last May docking at the RCL pier due to problems on the Jubilee and we were a day early. It is right next to the Carnival pier (walking distance). At the end of the mall located on the pier right by the road where the taxis were lined up was a little hut building with jeep, car and scooter rentals. It was about $70 for the day which I thought was pretty cheap when split with another couple. We didn't rent them because we had other plans but would like to next time. They are probable set up by the taxi area on the Carnival dock too but if not just walk down to the RCL dock and it will be there right on the road. Debbie
Old February 27th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Happy Camper

One more thing - always buy insurance when renting in Mexico. Their policy if you wreck is to get cash before you leave the country - so always buy the insurance... Debbie
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Passenger

TexCroozer - My husband and I were in Cozumel in September. We had planned to go to Mr. Sanchez Beach for the day, so just walked through the Plaza to the taxi area. It was going to cost us $28 RT to Mr Sanchez so we rented a cute little VW bug convertible for the whole day for $32. They gave us a map and we ended up going to the beach for about 4 hours then driving around the entire island. Was great fun. They had jeeps, mini vans, mopeds - what ever you want.

Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:58 PM
ctmak

We rented a jeep and happy camper is right -- you can rent them right at the end of the pier. We rented a "convertable" of course and took all the insurance that was offered.

The total cost with tax and fees and everything was just under $90. What was interesting was for the jeep rental I could pay by credit card but for the insurance I had to pay cash. Since I am not a cynic, I would never suggest that the insurance money went into the clerk's pocket once he saw that the car was returned ok. Had the car been damaged, I'm sure the paperwork would have been submitted and insurance would have covered. But I am not a cynic.

Also: be aware -- the jeep I rented came with standard shift not automatic. Since I drive a standard it was not a problem. But if you don't you should find out before you sign if you can get an automatic.

Enjoy

CTMak
Old March 2nd, 2004, 03:27 PM
TexCroozer

Thanx for the info folks! Looking forward to getting a jeep and heading to the East "wild" side of the island for an adventure and some beautiful sights! May 9th hurry up and get here!!!!
Old March 2nd, 2004, 04:32 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: RENTING A JEEP IN COZUMEL

When we rented the Bug Convertible it also was a stick shift. No air, no radio - just the basics. We didn't get the insurance. Hubby thought our insurance was enough. Can't say - being in Mexico - if that was such a good idea or not. But as the old saying goes "All's well that ends well" and we didn't have any problems. (They do really hit you for refilling the gas tank though! HaHa