Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2004, 12:23 AM
breana1963

Default shore excursions

Has anyone been on the "Discover Scuba Diving" excursion. We really want to try scuba diving but have absolutely no experience and arenot real experienced swimmers. Is it worth the money? Would this activity be too intimidating for a 12 year old?

Is there parasailing available on either St. Thomas or St. Martin. If so, any idea what the rates are?
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2004, 06:37 PM
mjwest

Default Re: shore excursions

My wife and I did this on our last cruise, a year ago. and had a good time. We now are cert. Diver's I do not remember any kid's there. I think it will depend on the kid. You can expect about 30 min in class and about 45 min under water. If someone in your group is aprehensive less time under water. You asked is it worth it, if I had it todo again I would go strait to to cert diver corce. but like I said we had fun.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 07:33 PM
Passenger

Default Re: shore excursions

I took scuba lessons at 14, but I could not be officially "certified" until 15. I don't know if a 12 y/o can do the discover scuba class or not. Check with Carnival. As far as being experienced swimmers, don't worry at all. My mom took the lessons with me and she can hardly swim a stroke. I think if either of you is claustrophobic at all, that poses more of a problem than being poor swimmers.

Go ahead and do it to see if you like it and think it would be something you would do again. Where I live, the cert course isn't expensive, but the checkout dive is in pensacola, FL, which I hear is crappy and doesn't do justice to the scuba experience for a first time diver.