Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 29th, 2004, 12:33 PM
breana1963

Default & day Southern Caribbean cruise on the Destiny

We are seriously closing in on the 7-day Southern Caribbean cruise on the Destiny (although I'm sure by tomorrow I will have changed my mind again!). The Ports of Call are St. Thomas, Barbados,Dominica and Aruba, with San Juan being the departing Port. Anyone have any experience with the destination or any of these Islands? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old February 29th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Brenda Merlin

Default Re: & day Southern Caribbean cruise on the Destiny

We just booked this cruise. We leave 11 weeks from today! It looks and sounds like a great cruise. We hane been on 2 other Carnival Cruises, 1997 Destiny & 2001 Sensation.
Good Luck and happy cruising.
Old February 29th, 2004, 01:46 PM
rburns44

Default Re: Re: & day Southern Caribbean cruise on the Destiny

Did this cruise over Xmas. Had a fabulous time. Best cruise I have been on. At the time we had Martinique instead of Dominica. Did the Helmet dive in St. Thomas at Coral world. Snuba in Barbados and DePalm island in Aruba. Flew in the night before and stayed at the Park Plaza Normandie. Got it on Priceline. Loved the southern so much I am booked again. Any specific questions I will try to answer.

Becky
Old February 29th, 2004, 01:49 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Sara754

Brenda and breana- what dates are you guys going? Im going on the 7/11 Destiny...

Carnival Destiny 2004
Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas 2005
Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas 2006
Crown Princess 2007
Carnival Valor 2009

Carnival Freedom June 2011!
Old February 29th, 2004, 05:03 PM
breana1963

We are not going until Feb 2005 (nothing like early planning, huh?) Becky, how were the excursions at your ports of call? As a first time cruiser, are we better off going through the cruiseline or can we get better prices on our own when we get there? We are particularly interested in learning to scuba dive and snorkel. My son is dying to parasail. Are there places on any of the islands that offer this and if so, do you know how much the rates are? Also, do you know if there were dophin swims offered on any of the Islands? Sorry to bombard you with questions...I am just getting so excited and am a compulsive planner!

Thanks so much
Old February 29th, 2004, 06:19 PM
First Mate

I am also going on this trip. We leave in thirteen days. Can't wait. First time on Carnival but I have also done these Islands before. I loved each one of them. Go for it. I hear Carnival is a great Line.
Old February 29th, 2004, 06:44 PM
rburns44

We did tours through the ship. You can get better prices on your own. Have done tours on the islands but there were several we did not want to miss. We did Coral World in St. Thomas. Had great time. THere is a beginners scuba called "Discover Scuba. It is 3 hrs. and is $89pp. They have 2 times listed in the Capers. 9am and 12:45. Aruba also has Discover Scuba for same times and price.

All the islands offer snorkeling. Price runs $39 and up. Aruba had great snorkeling at DePalm Island. Beautiful fish 2 feet long swimming all around. I don't see where any of the islands for the Destiny offer Dolphin swim. We did it in Jamaica last year and it was great. I don't have list of shore excursions for Dominica so you might check there.

Saw parasailing and signs for it but we have never done it. 2 years ago a girl did it for $45. They asked more but she bartered them down. Sorry can't help you there. Need any other prices or questions about different excursions just ask. I have my excursions and price list still.

Also you might want to try the new BOB thing. I am going on a cruise in July and going to try this. http://www.bobusvi.com/
Really sounds like fun so I e-mailed them and they told me they only do ship tours.
Hope this helps!

Becky
Old February 29th, 2004, 07:16 PM
sidsammy

The cruise line discourages parasailing, says it's too dangerous. However, I did parasailing in Barbados about 3 years ago for $50. It was great and didn't seem too dangerous to me. Was recently on the Destiny and noticed that they were doing parasailing in St.Thomas/St. John. I have no idea what it cost there. I'd recommend a Trunk Bay excursion while in St. Thomas, not the 5 star one, but the other one, the cheaper one. The 5 star one may be fine, but you get some extraordinary views of Trunk Bay while going to the beach on the other one. The snorkeling was great at DePalm Island in Aruba. This excursion cost $49 and included the snorkeling, lunch (buffet and hamburgers/hot dogs, etc) and an open bar.
Old February 29th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Joe2nd cruise

7 Days to go we are leaving o the 7th. Looking for info for an excursion in Barbados, Catamaran. we just got back from a Western Cruise in Sept. (Holiday, older ship) but had a great time. We took an excursion that included snorkeling, then we had beer/drinks after snorkeling during sailing, beaching, and dancing back to the ship. Got buzzed and had a great time. Looking for something similar. Any Ideas. What about in Aruba.
Old February 29th, 2004, 08:11 PM
rburns44

Did the Snuba and Boatyard in Barbados. It was great. Lots of ship crew showed up at Boatyard too. It was 3 hr and $99pp. There is also a Barbados Sail and snorkel trip. It is 4hrs and $59pp. Also the Jolly Roger Party cruise. 3 1/2 hrs and $45pp. My son did that and it was just a drink fest. Also a Sea Turtle and Shipwreck snorkel. 3 1/2 hrs and $69pp.

Aruba has Snuba and the DePalm Island experience. 3 1/2 hrs. $99pp. I am planning on doing the Seatrek and DePalm Island experience again in July. Loved the Seatrek in St. Thomas. It is3/12 hrs and $99pp. DePalm island has beach and snorkeling and a lunch is included. At Xmas it was ribs and sidedishes and also burgers and such. Includes bar and soft drinks. Really a nice place and snorkeling is excellent. Just the snorkeling on DePalm is $48pp. Hope this helps!

Becky
Old February 29th, 2004, 08:18 PM
breana1963

Becky,

Did you do your excursions thorugh the ship or on your own? Did you love Aruba? Am I making a mistake by basing this entire cruise around the fact the I want to go to Aruba? Do you think I'll be disappointed? What were your favorite islands? Thank you so much everyone. This has been sooo helpful!
Old March 1st, 2004, 05:12 AM
rburns44

We did the ship excursions. Aruba is one of my favorite islands. It is very beautiful. I am going back in July simply because I love the southern islands. I would gladly spend a week there and also St. Thomas. To me they are both the best islands I have been to. Don't think you are making a mistake at all!

Becky
Old March 1st, 2004, 07:14 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: & day Southern Caribbean cruise on the Desti

Hey Ann, we're also going Mar. 14 ... want to compare notes? Have you picked your tours?
-Bob (& Wendy)
Old March 7th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Krys

will be on Destiny 5-30-2004 looking forward to a vacation
Old March 7th, 2004, 12:09 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to NICKI61

Just returned from this cruise. We loved it, I also have a review up if that will help you. We loved everyithing, with the exception of Dominica- not the best, but grin and bear it. Use it as a spa day...
Read my reveiw and email me anything you need or want to ask. I am just a pleathera of information...

Nicki