Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: The Truth about Tipping

No they would not have to pay minimum wage as it is a service industry and they have a differant payscale. That is why waiters/waitresses do not get minimum wage in the USA and also rely on tips. IN addition the main reason you will not see them registered in the USA is that in order for them to do so the ship has to be built in the USA which with only a couple of exceptions they are not.
Jim

Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:16 PM
First Mate

Default Re: The Truth about Tipping

ATTN :asealady ,
As a matter of fact I do I clean up after all of my children and would never leave a hugh mess of food under their high chairs. Although they are no longer in high chairs .My only question was if I should tip as much for them as I will be for us the adults.I also tip extra to those of our staff who have earned it. Iwill have 4 children on board our cruise and just thought it was alittle much to have to tip as much for them as I do myself.Yes I understand they will make there bed and pick things up but I guarntee i will do the majority of that .I would perfer to give extra to the Camp carn . staff that I know will be entertaining them..Sorry for those I may have affended im NOT a stiffer and by no means want to sound like a cheap ass. Just had a ? I wanted answerd. Thanks
Old March 3rd, 2004, 11:35 PM
First Mate

We asked one of our waiters how it was working out for him...to have the tips automatically placed on the S&S card...he said that often times he gets less money than he use to. When people had to pay them directly in cash they were more generous...now that the minimum is put on the S&S card more often than not no additional amount is added/given.

As far as some comments above....my son likes to go out and eat but can't afford to do so very often and definately can't afford to tip more than 10% if that much. I'm sorry that some feel he shouldn't take his wife out to eat because he can't tip properly. And if you think I don't understand how hard you work you are wrong....I've been there and experienced it myself.
Old March 4th, 2004, 01:27 AM
Yeoman

We just sailed on the Carnival Pride (Feb.1, 2004). I asked both my room steward and waiter if their tips were pooled. They both said yes, they get a roster on the last morning of the cruise and it states who had auto tips then it is split between all the service workers by some obscure calculation.

The point is-- if you have auto tipping and wish to tip more, give it to them in cash.
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Passenger

Dan,

How much did you tip her? I dont want to stiff her -no pun intended.

Just thought I'd give everyone a laugh because some of these posting are getting bloody.

I find that strangers tip better than family members. So the crew should not invite family members.

I'm going to let them charge the tips to my card. If someone deserves more I will take care of them. If the service stinks I will complain.

Do you tip the maitre d'? how much? Does the captain get a tip too? he steers the ship.

I don't think any crew of the Titanic got a tip.
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:58 AM
NinaClock

When I take my family w/children out to dinner, I add a 15-20% tip for the service, but NOT 15-20% PER PERSON at the table. Let's do the math... a family of five (two adults and three children) have dinner at a restaurant with a total bill of $75.00. A 20% tip for the bill comes to $15.00. If each member of your family were expected to tip the same amount (because they all received service, ate food, dirtied dishes, etc.) the tip would be $75.00 - the same cost as the meal itself. Can anyone honestly say that they follow this tipping guideline anywhere other than on a cruise ship?
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Nina,
But you are not tipping 20% pp for the value of the meal. FIgure it out, you are tipping a total of $17.50 per day for your entire family, ie: $3.50pp pd. If you only ate three times a day that is a total tip for your family of under $6.00 for each meal, a meal that would probably cost you somewhere around $100,00 at a land based dining facility. No matter how you cut it, tips are not that much and are most often very well deserved. Understand that these waiters also serve you and others breakfast, lunch, afternoon snacks, and evening buffets in addition to your main dinner meal!
Jim

Old March 4th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Servers in land based restaurants DO earn minimum wage in the U.S. Their salary is $2.35 per hour plus tips, and if they don't make enough in tips to get to the minimum wage level of $5.50 then the business must make up the difference. Most of the time though, servers earn way more than minimum wage. Some of my better ones will earn over $200 in a five hour dinner shift.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 4th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Captain

Let me first say I do tip and I do believe that most people in the service industry that get tips earn them. I am not meaning to start trouble or an arguement but for those that say a tip should be the recommended 15% or 20% please explain something to me. If I order a meal that costs $10 and my wife orders a meal that costs $20 when you deliver the meals you bring the same amount of dishes the same amount of drinks the same amount of silverware and you spend the same amount of time waiting on me as well as my wife. This being the case why should a bigger tip be paid for the $20 meal than the $10 meal? You did no more work yet because 15% or 20% of $20 is more than of $10 a larger tip should be paid?

Like I said I do tip and if the service is good or better I do tip very well but if the service is less than good I am not going to pay as well. I feel the tip should be on the work provided not on a percentage basis and just because chicken costs less than lobster I should pay a bigger tip for lobster doesn't make sense to me.

Like I said I am not trying to start trouble but I truly do not understand paying a percentage on what I purchased in a meal when the service is identical. Again I do believe most service workers earn every pennie they get in tips.
Old March 4th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Me2

Shelly I agree with you 100%, I already paid a full 4th & 5th person rate for my 1 &2 yr. old and now I'm also going to have to tip a full 70. I can assure everyone here I always pick up after my children. We will be 5 people in one little room, and there is no way I could not pick up after ourselves... I don't mind tipping the 250.00 for the week but 380.. is a bit much esp when my two little guys will not really be eating from their own plates or using the facilities. They only eat 5 spoons at most per meal so all they will do is eat from us, I'd much rather save my tips for the camp carnival staff......
Old March 4th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Cruisingal54

All I can say is...if people can afford to go out, expect service and get it and not want to tip accordingly...then restuarants and cruise lines should increase their prices to adjust for it.

If service is bad and you hate your server, I think you should talk to his/her boss and find out what the trouble is. 99.9% of the time the service is excellent and if you need something more all you have to do is ask for it...and it will be there.

I'd be willing to bet that the people who gripe about tipping their cabin steward would be the first ones on the phone demanding that they have clean towels, and fresh linens. These are probably the same people who leave their rooms a wreck when they go out the door and smile when they come back and everything's all picked up and clean.

The TWO most important people on the ship to make sure you have a good relationship with is your cabin steward and your waiter. I have all my tips taken out automatically, but I ALWAYS leave my steward and waiter and busboy an extra $10. That's how appreciative I am of them and I've never been let down.
Old March 4th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Passenger

We had a young German Girl spend the year with us. Before she returned home I took her down the eastern coast of the US to see something of the States. As a lesson I asked her to figure the tip per meal at each restaurant. She asked, "Must I tip tax?" All these years I had been tipping tax, why? Not a clue? But no more, I tip 20% before the tax is included. Travel is educational.
Old March 4th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The real truth about tipping is that you in fact tip everyone who you buy goods or services from.

Just in some cases the tips are included in the price, and in other cases they are not.

Don't you just wish it was all like on a cruise ship, where you could remove or reduce the "tip" charges if you weren't happy with the service?

You buy a shirt, and the salesclerk is rude... you get $10 off.

Your dentist makes you wait an hour and a half for a "booked" appointment.. you get $200 off

Your doctor can't make you feel better.... you get $100 off

You keep loosing your Internet connection... you get $20 back

Your accountant can't get you a tax refund... he has to pay what's due <G>

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 4th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Chi-Guy

With all of this said...........How much should I tip the Camp Carnival Counselors?

Putting up with my little one for an extended amount of time is............Priceless........lol

3 more days.............I'm going CRAZY!

Conquest
3/7/04
Old March 4th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Cruisingal54

I don't know anything about the camp, but isn't it included? I'd think I'd probably tip about $5 a day. Those people do a wonderful job from what I hear and the kids love it.
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Passenger

I sailed on the Glory in January. I spoke to my waiters about this new tipping system. They don't like it!!! Do you think that Carnival charges the tips to our sail and sign accounts without taking a cut themselves? They now have to pay people to sort out where all the tips should go. I hope you don't think that Carnival does this for free. The wait staff do not receive their tip money put on the sail and sign cards immediately. This money is only given to them once or twice a month. Also as stated earlier the tips on the sail and sign cards are shared. My wait staff were ecstatic when I had my automatic tips removed from my sail and sign card and given directly to them. They received the tips immediately and in total. The same goes for the stewards. As stated earlier some of the best staff are now actually receiving less in tips then they did under the old system.
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Chi-Guy

CruisingGal,

Thanks for the advice. I think five bucks a day is somewhat fair for the counselors. I don't plan on dropping my son off and forgetting about him. He will spend a large part of the day with us.

Thanks to the info from Declares I will distribute my tips with cash. I just don't trust a company to be fair with the distribution of those funds. Some people have wrote about the convenience of auto-tipping, but really, how hard is it to pass out a tip, plus it gives me the freedom to "tip" based upon the level of service I receive and not due to someone earning a low wage. Last time I checked, no one is forced to work anywhere. It is not a service charge and tips are not a birth right. Everyone cruising has not received great service and part of the problem may be the auto-tipping policy. A server may not feel obligated to go above the call of the duty because they will receive the same amount anyway.

I am willing to bet that once I slide that twenty to my server on the first formal night, he/she will know exactly where I am coming from and that includes my cabin steward. I believe in tipping at the end or beginning of each day. 99% of the time I received great service because they knew it would be something for them. Plus, if I tipped one day and then got crappy service the next, I wouldn't tip. It gives them an opportunity to correct or notice their mishap.

Lastly, if people just do their jobs.....and to the best of their ability, MOST people are civil enough to tip appropriately.
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Well---it looks as though Tipmaster did exactly what he / she started out to do---- stirred the old pot about the tips again.
And---Tipmaster--payroll clerk on USS---???
For a ship to have the designation USS it has to be registered in the U.S. or be a U.S. warship.
Payroll clerk my eye !
Someone stirring the pot for the sake of stirring. This tipping thing has been ridden to death over the last while on this and other sites. I get so tired of hearing someone taking up the cause of the poor overworked underpaid ship employees.

Years ago the British Navy , when shorthanded on a ship, would simply put into port and send ashore what was called " press gangs " to round up able bodied men and boys for service. They had no choice and went willingly or with some lumps on their heads but they went.

It isn't quite like that on the modern day cruise ships. People willingly apply and seek jobs on the ships. Singing the blues about how ill-treated, overworked and underpaid they are is as old a song as you can find. If they don't want to work, they can leave and there will be a dozen waiting to take their place.
Tipping is a part of the service industry. It's expected and for the most part, done by most people. However there is no rule that says you have to tip. That's a personal matter. Tip if you want to, don't tip if you don't want to.

To say that if the cruise lines registered their ships in the U.S. they would have to pay higher wages and would therefore reduce the tipping is fantasy. It's a little more complicated that just registering a ship .

How many posts do you read wherein someone is talking about what a fabulous deal they got on such & such cruise, how they were upgraded from inside to outside , from outside to balcony, etc, etc.?? People want to cruise but they want to pay next to nothing for it. If the tipping were stopped, and wages were increased, the cost of a cruise would go up and a lot of people would not be able to cruise. If a ship sails half full, the cruise lines can't stay in business to offer those sweet deals everyone is so fond of getting.

I don't know what my mailman makes. I don't know what the bank teller at my bank makes. I don't know what the trash truck driver that picks up my trash makes.I don't know what the person who cuts my hair makes. Is it really any of my business?? NO.
Is it really any of mine or anyone elses business what a waiter on a ship makes??? NO
I can't understand why some people go on a cruise to try to make it their business to find out how much or how little someone makes. Try that at home and see how long it is before someone tells you what to kiss.
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Passenger

Hey Declares- can I ask whom exactly did you tip and how much for each?
Old March 5th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Passenger

As I stated in my earlier posting, The wait staff were ecstatic when I cancelled my tips on my sail and sign and gave the tips directly to them. The same goes for my stewards. I think their response to my gesture shows me that by what I did they received more of a reward than they do through Carnivals new system. I truly think that the staff are the ones to judge how they feel about their tips not anyone else on this board!!! They were very happy with my tip and I received excellent service. As stated in Carnival's brochure "How much you tip is a personal matter and completely up to you".
Old March 5th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Cruisingal54

For tipping for the Camp. I believe the kids that work with Camp Carnival are part of the crew and not part of the staff of people who are stewards, waiters and busboys. These people DO get a salary and are not working for tips as far as I know.
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Passenger

Hey Dan...

(It sounds more like you were giving bribes than tips.)

To a large extent I do agree with you--I have my own (small) construction company and I agree that most costs will be passed on to the customer--but there are some exceptions. Sometimes the owner will absorb an additional cost and accept less profit in order to get a job.

I do find it interesting that the same person who feels he should tip the person who makes his bed won't consider tipping his contractor--a much more important person in the grand scheme of things. ()

Zoomer
Old March 8th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Yeoman

Tip Master - I agree with you. I would never "Not tip" unless I get poor service and then I might only tip small instead of not at all. . But I feel you should have to work for this tip. I like having guide lines or recommendations on tipping but I don't feel this is what I MUST tip. I tip according the the service I receive. When I go on a cruise, I expect a certain level of service and if it is not at that level, my tip and comments will reflect that. We pre paid our tips once and got some of the worse service ever. We will never do that again. For instance, upon arriving at our cabin the first day, the couter tops were sticky. We asked our cabin steward to please clean this off. When we returned later that day only one area was cleaned and the rest was left sticky. We also asked to have our towels set down lower since we are both "little People". He did this the first day and then never again, even though he was remeinded. And we were in a mini Suite. Thats when we decided to never pre tip again. And this is only one example of the poor service we got on this trip. I really don't like the fact that our drinks have 15% automatically added either but I understand why they do this.