Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Beginner

Default Verizon Wireless/Mexico

Wanted to wait until I got my bill to post this. We were on the Holiday the week of Jan 26th. I have America's Choice (no roaming, no long distance) with Verizion Wireless. I made and received calls in both Calica/Playa and Cozumel, with no problem, both on shore and in our stateroom. Grandma was back home with the kids and I wanted to check on them. Good thing I did, one broke his collerbone while we were gone. Anyway, before I left Indiana I was advised to enter the code which updates your phone to the most current towers. I guess you should do this every month but I wasn't aware of it. Also, before we left I got on the Verizon site and printed out the instructions for International dialing. It also tells you what zones in Mexico that Verizon is active. I got my bill today and it cost $1.25 per minute both for the incoming and outgoing calls. A far cry cheaper than the ship's phone service. If I were you I would call Verizon before I left the states to make sure that you have international service activated (no cost). If you don't do that, you won't be allowed to call out.
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2004, 11:39 AM
JoanO

Default Re: Verizon Wireless/Mexico

Thanks for the info. My daughter is leaving tomorrow for Cancun (spring break). I just got off the phone with Verizon. They programmed her phone for international callings.
They told me it would be .69 for incoming and outgoing calls. You just have to remember your international code and state code. USA is 1+area code+ 7 digit #
Old March 5th, 2004, 11:47 AM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: Verizon Wireless/Mexico

This is wonderful information as our daughter will be in Belise this summer, we will be on a trip and was trying to figure out how she could contact us. We have Verison and will call them asap. Thanks you are a life saver. This site has so much good information.
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Verizon does offer a plan that covers calls too and from Mexico it is called North Americas Choice, if you plan on making very many calls at all it may be worth it to switch plans for the month.

Ryan
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:38 AM
JoanO

Just heard from my daughter who is in Cancun. She could not use her cell phone - (even though I was told she could). After a few calls to Verizon, I was told maybe her phone was not set-up for international calling. My suggestion would be - take your phone to a Verizon dealer - and have them set your phone so that you can make international calls. Also - to call into the USA - you must dial 001-area code and tele # - NOT 1-area code as they originally told me. Hope this helps.
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Passenger

I used my cell from San Juan. Got the bill.... $1.75 !!!