Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Passenger

Default How many suitcases do you need?

How many people were in your group for your last cruiseand how many suitcases did you each take?

Are you an overpacker or a "oops, forgot that too" packer?
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Captain

Default Re: How many suitcases do you need?

On our first cruise last Nov. we packed TOO MUCH.... We were surrounded with STUFF...
I did buy new under garments, shirts, pants & socks.... Packed a change for each day...
They do have a coin Laundry on each deck & it was usually empty every time I walked by it...If you plan on using the "Carry my own luggage off" at end of cruise then I would keep baggage down to 1 large rolling bag & a smaller duffle (strap on top) for each person...
Bob & Kathy

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:40 AM
lildkl17

There were 2 adults and 1 child. We were way overpacked. We had eight suitcases and one diaper bad. There was clothes no one wore at all. This cruise it will just be my husband and myself and we are not going to overpack.

Darla
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We went on a five day cruise last year with our four children (spent two additional days in Orlando so it was a 7 day trip). My husband and I and each child packed one carry on size suitcase and we packed one large garment bag for the family. Had plenty of clothes and even some things we didn't wear.
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: How many suitcases do you need?

Hey Bob and Kathy - what's this "carry my own luggage off" thing? Can you get off the ship quicker? Is it a timesaver somehow? Or does it mean you can keep your bags with you the night before instead of putting them in the hall?
Fill me in! This is a new idea to me - and it'll work for us, since I think a good portion of our baggage will be donations left in Honduras anyway.... I'm thinking we'll have just what you describe - a rolling suitcase & a duffel each.
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Admiral

two adults and two suitcases, a garment bag and a carry-on "junk" bag. We also carry a collapsable bag in one of the suitcases for bringing back our 'goodies' we pick up while away. <G>
Jim

Old March 7th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Yeoman

For our first cruise, my whole group WAY OVERPACKED. We actually heard passers by making fun of all of our luggage in the hallway! Cruise #2 I am taking half the luggage(and twice the $$). I also took advantage of the ships laundry service, and carried back suitcases full of clean clothing! For $15! Packed way too much "dressy casual" spent most of the time is swimwear, shorts and formal, not much "inbetween".Our dinner attire was appropriate for shows and bar hopping(except on formal nights when we got more comfey afterward. We even spent one night partying out on deck in bathrobes! Keep in mind also, those toiletries that you "mightneedityouneverknow"are mostly available in the ships store or in port, and take up valuable "souvinier space". Your room has shampoo,shower gel, and a little basket with sample sized lotion, a razor and other little goodies.So your hubby can use that stuff and leave more room for your scented shower gels and salon shampoo .

Enjoy your cruise!
Lesley
Old March 7th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Captain

TripTakers...
Carnival just started the "carry of your own lugage" when we were on the Conquest last Nov.... Some confusion as expected, we did save time as we were the first group to depart .. The biggest advantage is you have all your bags & you are FREE as soon as you get off the boat...... Our daughter picked us up at the Terminal, worked out great since we had free air time on our cellulars on Sunday & could talk to each other for timing.... As I said there was some confusion because some folks didn't wait for their decks to be called for the "carry off luggage" option... this cramped up things a bit..... Nobody wants to wait their turn anymore.... Should be fairly soomth by now though....

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old March 7th, 2004, 09:20 PM
First Mate

There are just two of us....we take three 21" suitcases and two carryons. None of the three suitcases are full...don't want to mess with the airlines weight restrictions. This allows us plenty of room to put our purchases in our suitcases for their return trip to our place. We're now on our 9th cruise so we have do a bit better with what to take and what not to take. There are certain things - like over the counter medicines - we take along that thankfully we haven't needed...but it's nice knowing we have them all the same.
Old March 7th, 2004, 09:38 PM
elationismyship

I totally agree with the poster above about the dressy casual clothes - you don't need too many of them. During the day you are in your swim wear - even if you go into port seems I'm always wearing my swimwear with shorts/shirt coverup. On days at sea, morning into swimwear, with a coverup, then ready for dinner. By the end of the cruise you're so tired (in a good way of course) that the last thing you want to do is put on restrictive clothing. Bring a sweatsuit of sorts (you know, a J Lo type thing - oh, if only I could look as good as J Lo lol) for hanging out after dinner, etc.

Old March 8th, 2004, 12:59 AM
Passenger

My rule of thumb is that the longer the vacation, the less I need. Of course the opposite is also true--the shorter the vacation, the more I need. My reasoning is that if I am going away for, lets say, several weeks, I don't want to be burdened with a lot of luggage. However, If I am only going to be gone a few days, I don't want to worry about washing clothes every couple of days.

However, on a cruise, there are different considerations--mainly that you can bring just about anything you want and only have to load it one time. Because of this, I don't think you can bring enough. I carry everything but the kitchen sink on a cruise. Why not? I carry formal wear, casual stuff, and sporting gear--including my snorkeling equipment, a small rubber raft and other items that I may, or may not, use.

So far, I have never regretted bringing anything on a cruise, but I have been sorry that I left some things at home.

Zoomer
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Klarocco

We cruised the Spirit 2 weeks ago...We were 2 adults and 2 children, 1 of which was in diapers....2 large suitcases, 1 garment bag, 1 small suitcase. I carried on a backpack filled with the kids toys, snacks, etc...

I wore everything I brought, Dh did too...I way overpacked for the kids!

Kathleen
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Darrick

Two adults, we each packed one large rolling suitcase and one carry one. I packed a shorts outfit and a pants outfit for each day because at night we didn't want to be running around the ship in bermuda shorts and t shirts.

Also keep in mind that if you plan on attending any of the ships shows, it tends to be very cold in the show rooms. I mean like pack a jacket cold!
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Mellane

wouldn't you need the dressy casual attire for eating in the dining room?
Old March 8th, 2004, 01:44 PM
L.C

We were on the Triump 2 weeks ago and the Cruise director had a message on the intercom to congrad a cabin who bought 27 luggage.( We figured it was someone cruising with a large family in a suite) I brought 1big suitcase a 21' inch suitcase and a backpack and my husband had one big suitcase and a garment bag and his computer case we bought agreed we over pack!
Old March 8th, 2004, 02:12 PM
First Mate

On a 7 day cruise with 2 pre-cruise days, I pack in one 26" pull along suitcase. My carryon is a small 12" x 8" bag. I hate having to lug around lots of luggage. I made the decision to downsize when cruising with a girl from London, England. She traveled with one hardsided 28" suitcase and no carryon. I figured if she could do it, I could.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old March 8th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

L.C. It`s Sunshine I just read your post and was wandering if you ever found out who it was that brought 27 pieces of luggage. I mean I brought to large ones and I now know I over packed so I can not imagine 27 pieces jejeje.
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:35 PM
L.C.

Default Re: Re: Re: How many suitcases do you need?

Sunshine, we figured it was someone that had a big suite with alot of people with them. I brought one huge luggage a back pack and a carry on. I didnt even were half the clothes in my suitcase. We had to buy another piece of luggage for the kids souvenirs. I wont pack that much next time.
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Sunshine, It was a joke by the CD. <G>
Jim

Old March 9th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: How many suitcases do you need?

Jim, Thanks.. my husband told me that on the ship I just thought that maybe some crazy women really did do that. Funny story a friend of ours cruised the same week we did on another ship this feb. When we got back she told us how great her CD was and when she told us the stories most of them were the same ones as us. It was a little disappointing to hear since I thought everythign John was saying was first hand experience. But I guess it is like any other job.
Old March 9th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: How many suitcases do you need?

Sunshine. WEhile these things did not necessarily occur on your sailing and are standard fair for most CD's including those of other lines, understand that many of these things have actually happened or something close to it. Example is that on one cruise my wife went to our cabin to wait on me while I went to change our dinner times. We had a balcony on deck 8 and when I got there she had not arrived yet even though I had been busy for an hour. Come to find out she mistook the folio # on our S&S card as the cabin # and went there to a inside cabin on deck 4. When the real occupant showed up with his wife she was relaxing on the bed watching TV and had already put up her carry-on things. She of course was embarassed and found our room after gathering her belongings and apologizing. When I told the story to the CD who is a friend of ours he related it to others but it was slightly altered to state that she was waiting in the cabin, in bed, in a negligee with the Champanger open! Funny but not the whole truth but based somewhat on a factual incident. <G>
Jim

Old March 9th, 2004, 04:04 PM
First Mate

Jim,
Loved your story. Sounds exactly like something we could do. Also, shows how valuable a sense of humor is.
Bobbie