Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:31 AM
patticake

Default drinking water in cozumel

what is the deal with drinking water in cozumel? mexico is mexico even on an americanized resort island. any information on this. with 5 adults and 4 kids with us we do not want any surprise intestinal problems. thankspatticake
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Default Re: drinking water in cozumel

The water is purified in all the major restaurants there and you should have no problem whatsoever. You may wish to avoid fresh veggies and any roadside food vendors to be on the safe side. As for Mexico being Mexico, not as far as I have observed. The Yucatan is very differant from the Mexican border towns like Nogalas, Tijuana, etc.
Jim

Old March 4th, 2004, 02:29 PM
ElationismyShip

We still don't chance it even thought it's purfied. We bring our own water off the ship. We don't buy from ship, we stop at a convienent store or grocery store right before getting on the ship and carry a 12 pack on the ship. Otherwise, you'll pay for one bottle on the ship what you pay for a pack. (We carry on soda as well because we drink so much, etc.)
Old March 4th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Cruisingal54

Mexico, Cozumel included has water that the locals are used to so it doesn't bother them, but just as in places in the USA, if you go to some areas where they have well water without the added purification....you could get sick enough to ruin your vacation.

Don't drink the water unless it's bottled, don't eat salads because of the water the lettuce is washed in and don't drink drinks with ice.

You MAY be safe in some places, but you're probably not in others. Whatever you do, don't buy food off the venders in the streets...the food's been sitting out in the sun all day, may not be cooked well...and you'll be sorry.

Drink bottled water, beer or their Coca Cola...it's bottled in Mexico and they use a different sweetener than we have in the US...and their Coke tastes much much better there than here and I'm not a regular Coke drinker! This is my opinion of course, but I've had many people agree with me.

There is a place in Cozumel, in town, called "Baby's" (I believe) It's located at the top of the Square at the upper left hand corner. It used to be called "Morgans". They have the best tacos there...and Yucatan tacos are much different than what we get in the USA. Really good.

If you go shopping, take a friend with you and explore the back side streets...this is where the places are located that send their leather and other goods to the market and the prices are much better on the back streets. I like to buy little purses that look like small athletic bags with the zipped end pockets and side pockets. They sell for about $25 at the market, but I buy them for $10-12 in the back shops. You'll also get a better deal on Vanilla extract back there too, if you want some.

Just my .02 cents worth. I get over there about every other month to do my shopping.

Bon Chance and Bon Voyage!
Old March 4th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Markp11

i woul stick to bottled water unless you want to go poopie your whole trip
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Passenger

On our last cruise to Cozumel, we were fortunate enough to have hispanic and cuban friends at our table who spoke fluent spanish. We ate lunch at what looked to be an above board restaurant/cafe. They confirmed the water was purified and we were additionally told because of the tourist traffic, the bigger places have purified water, as they don't want to get a bad reputation with the tourists. When in doubt, ask, but I'd say a safe bet is with the popular places. I agree though, stay away from fruits and vegetables.
Old March 5th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Passenger

I am sure the "nice places" use good water as much as possible. I am just as sure that they won't close their doors to business if for some reason known safe water isn't available. I have had first hand experience with Mexican sourced dysentery and don't want any more insight into that unpleasant condition.