Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2004, 12:25 PM
glo1196

Default Carnival and kids

I am planning a cruise for my family of five and a friends family of six. The kids will be 4,8,9,9,12,13,14. We have narrowed it down to either RCI or Carnival. What is the current consensus on their children and teen programs. The cruises seem to be promoted for singles, or couples...will the kids have fun?
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Carnival and kids

We went on the RCL Soveriegn of the Seas last year with our children (9, 11, 14 & 18). Although we all had a great time it tended to be an older and more laid back crowd. The food and service were both great. The kids didn't like the "camp" program so didn't go after a couple of hours the first day. They hung out with us. The Carnival ship was in port next to us and looked like it was a younger crowd. They were having a ball. This year we booked on Carnival. Several friends who have cruised have told us that their children enjoyed Carnival more than RCL. Hope this helps.
Old March 4th, 2004, 01:15 PM
lildkl17

My family went on Carnival last Feb. Our daughter was 21/2. They had a great program for the kids. Alot of good activities.
Old March 4th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to disneylynn
Default Re: Re: Carnival and kids

Hi, I just booked my first carnival cruise, I am happy to see all the good reviews
I have taken my children on Disney and NCL They loved Disney , They did'nt think
NCL was all that great. I hope they love carnival , We are going on the miracle 2-20-05
I hear there will be tons of kids on board. I have 2boys 12,16, one girl 9
My sisters kids girl 6, boy 3 , plus friends kids 3 boys 16 ,girl 15 ,girl 13
Thanks for all the good advice.
Old March 4th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Matt36

My kids Loved cruising.. Camp Carnival does a wonderful job ... and as far as the teen's go... shoot.. be lucky if you see them... My teen daughter and teen son have a wonderful time cruising.. and my little guy.(10 yrs old) has nothing short of a blast... Just like with us,, it is what they make of it.. and meeting other kids is half the fun... enjoy your trip

Victory 2002....... Glory 2003....Miracle 2004... Voyager 10/18/05
Old March 4th, 2004, 02:01 PM
bill123

Carnival a must for kids the older ones on most ships will have there own teen disco and the younger ones will have camp carnival they will have a blast. We went western two years ago and both my sons 11 an 13 found other kids their own age to hang with and we seemed to have to hunt them down most of the time they were always doing something . the ship does a great job catering the kids. All the carnival ships have a pizzaria thats where we usually found the kids. I bet my kids ate 20 pizzas each during our cruise.
Old March 5th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Beginner

We just got back from a 4 day to bahamas on Fantasy. The kids camp was great. My kids had the time of there life. Mine are 11,7, and 4. They said they can't wait until our next cruise. If you have any other question please ask.

Old March 5th, 2004, 09:23 AM
RWayne

My Kids are grown up now but Feb of 2003 my wife and I cruised with her sister and husband and 3 1/2 year old daughter.We cruised out of New Orleans on the Conquest. By the second morning their daughter was waking them up to be taken topside . Their security was very good also. If the mother dropped the child off then it was the mother who had to pick them up.
Old March 5th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Cruzin4fun1010

Default Re: Re: Carnival and kids

We cruised with the children ages 6 and 3 this past November, on Carnival. The kids absolutley loved it. The camp carnival program was great. My 6 year old loved it. They even had their own coke-tail party in the disco. Cute. They kept them very occupied and entertained. The youth counselors were great. This was the first time we took the children on a cruise, so glad we did, we can't wait to do another one with them.
Old March 5th, 2004, 05:10 PM
mar915

I think both are great. RCI does offer alot for teens in the Voyager class, not sure about the other classes. I think it is up to you on the itenerary and price. You will be happy with both.
Old March 7th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Sprint

We sailed on the Carnival Triumph the end of January, 2004. We took our son, 11 and our daughter 10 with us. The children had such a blast. Camp Carnival is excellent. Any child under 9 has to be signed in and out by the same parent. Their security is excellent. The 9 and up's can sign themselves in and out, but we made our own agreement with our kids that they couldn't do that. They had lots of activities geared for different personalities. The groups are divided in age - so all the kids travelling with you might not be together throughout the day. There were endless activities all day and the waterslide was also great. They also have 2 all night parties (cost extra) for the children and they have dinner together every night (if your children wish). This was really great as it gave my husband and I a few "alone" evenings. Best of both worlds. My daughter enjoyed the camp carnival dinners more than my son as he truly enjoyed dining in the Paris Dining Room and sampling some foods he would never get a home.

Also, 24 hour pizzeria was fantastic. All you can eat icecream and frozen yogurt bar. I don't want to guess how much my kids ate at these places during the week. Another thing was that we didn't get a pop card (too much hyperness) - they could have lemonade, apple juice, grapefuit juice, florida oj or water as often as they liked for free and they both had choc milk every night for dinner.

We had such a fantastic holiday that we can hardly wait to go back. Our kids learned a tonne!

I'm sorry but I can't comment on the other cruise line you are considering as this one was our first, but definitely not our last.

We did the excursion "Stringray City" in Grand Caymon - amazing experience!

Any other questions, don't hesitate.

P.S. We also had an arcade and cool room for game boys, computer etc. for kids.

Sprint
Old March 7th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Flyingfinn

We sailed Carnival Inspiraiton in 2002 and in 2003 RCCL Grandeur of the Seas. We are going back to Carnival because we feel it is a more kid friendly ship. The pool areas are not that accomdating to children as one is off limits to kids and there was only one other major pool in the center of the ship and it was crammed, not to mention no water slide. Now I am sure that the ships like Voyager and Explorer of the Seas are far more equipt to deal with kids and the service may have been a notch better in the dining room but we just feel like we blend better with the Carnival crowd.

Good luck in what ever you decide
Old March 7th, 2004, 07:47 PM
First Mate

wow such good info this will be our 2nd cruise but 1st w children I dont want to sound like a freak but I am really worried about the kids on the boat I have a 3,9,12,15 yr old they are great kids but im worried about the baby .should I be did any one else have these worries ??any help? thank you
Old March 7th, 2004, 11:32 PM
JamieScott

Just got back from the Imagination (3rd time). What most people don't realize is that Carnival does not want to cater to families - their target audience is 25 - 50 and they know that kids come with that age group. Camp Carnival is a way to keep the kids out of the way. I know that sounds really blunt, but it's true. If you have friends that work for carnival, they'll tell you that too. RCL on the other hand does cater to families and seniors. There are many more activities for children on RCL than on Carnival.