Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Melane

Default MyanRuins

My husband and I are really having a hrad time if we should take this tour to Tulum. It seems like an awefully long travelling time, and we hear the ferry or boat is horrid. Is it worth the trip?
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:15 PM
First Mate

Default Re: MyanRuins

Took the tour in 02. The ferry was a litle rocky but, you can use the same sea-sick measures for the ferry as you would aboard the ship. The ruins are well worth the trip. it has a spectacular view from the cliff of the water. When you return there is still time to shop. We enjoyed it very much.

Marty
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:52 PM
L.C.

We just got back from the "triumph". I say go for it. To tell you the truth the trip went by quick and had plenty of time to do other things It was a great place to visit and well worth our money! The boat ride wasnt that bad. Everybody was watching t.v. to get thier mind of the ride.
Old March 8th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Beginner

we took the Tulum excursion in 2002 from the Veendam. The ferry over was quite rough but coming back no problem. We made the obligatory stop at the jewelry outlet which most people did not want to do and then had a couple of hours being herded around. You have to ask yourself - will I ever get the chance to do this again and make your decision that way - it's probably worth the hassles.
Old March 8th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Cristina

Default Re: Re: MyanRuins

I never get seasick, should I expect to get ill on this tour...
also, during the bus ride was it a nice scenic tour of mexico, or not.
Old March 8th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: MyanRuins

If you get one of the enclosed tenders you should be Ok - just remember what you're doing the next day the night before...as I recall the bus ride the way we went once you were outside of Playa Del Carmen it was just a highway like anywhere - nothing special
Old March 9th, 2004, 06:45 AM
First Mate

I did the ruins on my first trip and it was an unforgettable experience. It is a long tour and you are herded around from water taxi to mainland, bus to Tulum, and finally tram inside the park. The jewelry store was a rip off but if you needed to use the facilities I imagine it was welcome. Cozumel is such a gorgeous place I found myself anxious to break away and see it myself. So, this trip we did Chankanaab and found it much more our style. Still, Tulum was unforgettable! If this helps, I found the Iguanas considerably smaller at Chankanaab

Old March 9th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Jilles

Default Re: Re: MyanRuins

I plan on taking the carnival tour...is there a lot of hiking and walking?
Old March 10th, 2004, 04:15 PM
L.C.

Default Re: Re: Re: MyanRuins

It wasnt that bad. In fact it was great and went by quickly for me and my husband The boat ride was a little bumpy and to me the bus ride seem quick because our tour guide was very funny and informative and was always making us laugh , before you knew it you were there . It wasa 45 minute bus ride with a bathroom stop half way to the ruins . Not really much hiking unless you walk down to the beach below . Walking from the bus was about 15 to twenty minutes and if you dont want to walk they have a train trolley that would take you for 1.50 but you have to do what everybody wants to do on your bus so you wont get lost and mixed up from your group if you want to walk you all have to agree and if you want to take the train you all have to take the train. We all choose to walk.( The train takes you from your parked bus to the entrance)..After your tour guide gives you a small tour of the place you are free to go anywhere at the ruins. Bring a visor or some kind of hat the sun was pretty strong .Hope this helps. L.C.
Old March 10th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Yeoman

Busses are not allowed to go to the entrance because of pollution. Years ago, they used to, but not anymore. I did a tour where the trolley was included, but I wasn't on a cruise. Tulum was the first Mayan ruin I saw, and it was fantastic! At that time (1999?), you were allowed to walk just about anywhere. I think they have corded off some areas since then, though, but you'll still get a local tour guide who can provide you with a good history of this 800-year old port city. Definitely worth it! I wouldn't do it again, but if you haven't seen it, take advantage of the opportunity. The Mayans were really an incredible civilization. Invented the first accurate calendar, and built cities and empires from Mexico to South America. Amazing!
Old March 16th, 2004, 09:52 AM
First Mate

Just got back from the Mayan Ruins Carnival tour to Tulum. Absolutely loved it. Came back exhausted. It is hot there. It sounds like a lot depends on your tour guide. The boat ride was bumpy, but it was a ferry. I do not think anyone got seasick, but they may have taken something. I was fine. The color of the water is unbelievable. IMHO, the ruins are not to be missed. We had a fabulous guide, Pedro, who was Mayan and studied the culture extensively. He also had a good sense of humor. Our bus ride was quite enjoyable as he told us a lot about the Mayans. At the ruins, we had the option of taking the trolley or waliking. Some people in our group took the trolley and others walked. We met at the entrance with no problem. If walking is any kind of an issue, I recommend the trolley. There is one hill to climb at the beginning of the tour. After that it is pretty easy going, but you are walkiing on dirt and rocks. You may want to bring a sandwich from the ship. They give you a snack on the bus, but it is all snack, or junk , food except for a banana. I would highly recommend this tour if you have never done it. Just my opinion though.
Bobbie