Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 7th, 2004, 03:11 PM
gina jensen

Default Mexican Riviera

In a few weeks our group of 24 women will be going on the Carnival Pride March 21st. I am hoping that someone can help with the following questions.

Some of us would like to spend one port day at a resort on the beach. I know in PV that Paradise village is a shore excursion. Does anyone recommend doing this? Can you walk from Paradise Village to other things in that area ie shopping, restaurants etc?

Is PV the best port to do this in or should we do other things in PV and try to beach it in Mazatlan or Cabo?

We have decided we will not have dinner on the ship the night in PV. Can anyone recommend a fun restaurant with good food and drinks and preferably convenient to the ship. Also a place that will take reservations in advance as getting 24 people in anywhere is always difficult.

Which of the 3 ports can you just walk off the ship and do things without having to take transportation. ie Like you can do in Grand Cayman, Cozumel etc.

Is the transportation safe in all ports or do you need to be careful regarding which taxi service you take?

I know that some in our group want to horseback ride. Does anyone recommend Cabo over PV or visa versa

I am assuming Cabo is the best of the three for scuba or snorkeling?

Thanks in advance for any assistance and if anyone has any other must see places, restaurants, excursions etc, we would really appreciate it.

Sincerely
Gina
Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2004, 04:27 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Mexican Riviera

Great questions Gina I would also like the answers to these .We are booked for the Pride but not untill Jan. Does any on know anything about the weather then or have any good advice about deep sea fishing . anything would help.. thank you
Old March 7th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Tammy D

You can walk from the port to town in Cabo. You can also do it from Mazatlan if you're willing to take along walk. Not much is within walking distance in PV (except for the Sam's Club).

Transportation is safe in these ports; just find out the standard cab price and make sure you agree on a price before you get in the cab. Sharing cabs with other folks is a good idea and makes the ride cheaper.

Regarding scuba diving, Cabo would be the best place to do this. However, don't expect the water to be like it is in the Caribbean; it's not as clear.

Have fun!
Old March 7th, 2004, 09:33 PM
First Mate

I'm not sure about the answers to your questions as we took non-beach excursions in all three ports. But I did want to "warn" you that shopping in Cabo is almost twice as expensive as shopping in either PV or Mazatlan.
Old March 7th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Yeoman

Can't help you with the ports, but we went on the Pride when she had a different itinerary. We loved her!! We'll probably go again with this itinerary.

The shows were fantastic! What made the cruise too was the cruise director. Unfortanetly he's not there at this time. I called and they said that they have contracts and he may not be there at this time. Could be on a different ship. He was soooo funny!! His name is Troy.

Anyways, you'll have a wonderful time on The Pride! I envy you!!
Old March 7th, 2004, 11:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

5 cruises to Mexican Riviera here (and we loved the Pride).

Here are my recommendations:

* You can walk to great beaches in PV if you take the van downtown. Head South past the Rio Cuale, then just turn west to the beach area.

* In mazatlan, I would highly recommend contacting Frank for a private tour www.mazatlan-tours.net. Or you can do a City Tour with Marlin Tours ($15 at the pier).

* Cabo is great for walking -- you are tendered a quick walk to the center of town. Best area for snorkling.

* Horseback riing tours get great marks with Randi Happy Horses in Mazatlan (search here for more messages).

Check under my name in the Photo Galleries, Harry Martin, for some examples.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old March 8th, 2004, 02:17 AM
Passenger

Gina, we were on the Pride in January, we LOVED Paradise village, the beach was wonderful, it was a warm sunny day (the best weather day on the trip) we body surfed, laid in the sun and drank exotic fruity rum type drinks from the beach bar. We will do exactly the same thing if we do that cruise again. We actually shopped in PV also in the AM and went to the beach for the afternoon. We did the carnival excursion so were bussed over there. There is also quite a shopping area there, they said something like over 100 stores, we stayed on the beach so can't confirm that although we did notice alot of people head to the shpping area, wherever that was...something else we didn,t know until we were leaving is they have some type of a zoo with leopards and such...only noticed that as we were pulling out.....sorta lets you know the frame of mind we were in when we were there, huh? Sun and sand!!!!
I think Matzatlan is best for shopping, been there many times land trips.....
Cabo for snorkeling...a little pricey for shopping compared to Matzatlan for the same stuff, although I did find some things I couldn't live without..

Shelley, we were there in Jan. were disappointed in the weather but still had a great time...don't let our lousy weather bother you because every other time we've gone to Mazatlan it's been in Jan and it was HOT..thats why I booked our cruise for then because I thought it would be the same way...oh well...hope I could help you and Gina, Have great cruises...Carol :o)

Old March 8th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Admiral

PV has the best shopping and the most available. We had some great tacos from a little place across from the mercado and very cheap.

We rented vehicles in Maz and drove around. Shopping here is also cheap.

Cabo, expensive shopping and little selection. This would be the best place to do the beach thing. Also stop in at Cabo Wabo Cantina for the best margaritas, bar none!

Happy sailing!
Old March 8th, 2004, 10:42 AM
jq

In my opinion only, Randi's Happy Horses on Stone Island in Mazatlan is great, cheaper than thru ship, she is on the boards all the time, she takes care of all the transportation, you can have a nice garlic shrimp lunch and cold drinks at Victors on the beach, and a nice laid back day. Still have couple of hours for shopping, they will take you to gold zone if you wish or near ship shops.

I think PV is the nicest of the three to just take a city tour or rent a van taxi or two and see the local sites. Very pretty near downtown area. Don't rush back to ship for the mexican folkloric dance show, wasn't worth it and your idea to have a nice dinner and evening sounds great. The Rythums of the Night boat tour is very nice and includes sightseeing and dinner on beach, I believe.

The resorts and downtown in Cabo are only about two-three blocks from ship dock. We walked down there twice before and after our whalewatching tour on the CaboRey which is parked at the same dock and we had great whalewatching. Many people use the beaches at the resorts near by if you want lay in the sun and bake time. Lovers beach is right near and takes a short water taxi ride over there and they will pick you up and bring you back.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:51 PM
First Mate

Thank you for all of your great advice...............