Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2004, 01:42 PM
redyedfrg

Default new to carnival-many questions!

hey there-- i read these boards often, and would appreciate any help you could offer. husband and i have previously cruised RCI Voayager (honeymoon) and now are very interested in sailing Carnival for a change. Looking at Triumph's 4-24 sailing. Before we book I have some questions:

If I book directly through Carnival, will the cruiseline price adjust closer to the sail date when the prices go down? Will they ever price adjust a "guaranteed" cabin (balcony), or just those where you reserve a specific stateroom?

Anyone know the price of the soda cards onboard the ship, and whether they serve Coke or Pepsi (I am a procalimed Coca-Cola addict, and so is hubby. We would drink TONS of coke on the boat, but NO pepsi)?

Also curious if anyone knows which days are the formal nights, and how much it costs pp to eat in the alternative restaurant.

If I have my new driver license (w/ married name) and my birth certifcate with maiden name, will I have problems boarding? I am not sure that I have enough time to get a passport.

If you know anything else important about Carnival, please, pass it along.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Tuscani

Default Re: new to carnival-many questions!

We went on our Honeymoon on Feb 1st so I'll answer your questions backwards.
This is very important even though it is a pain the ...
First of all, you need to tell Carnival your name is "First - Middle - Maiden - Married." They are very strict about this because of Homeland Security rules. This way your B/C says you are "First - Middle - Maiden" and your ID shows "First - Middle - Married." Or, if you haven't changed your ID yet then you can just go with your maiden name. Also - watch if either of you go by your middle names. My husband goes by his and we weren't told about the Homeland Security thing until 2 weeks before the cruise, so they had his middle name and last only. We had to get new tickets showing the correct order of his name sent ASAP.

On a 7 day cruise formal nights are day 2 and day 6. Our cruise was Sunday thru Sunday so we had formal nts on Monday and Friday. I believe it is $25 per couple to eat in the new alternative restaurants but I'm not sure. I read $25 on this website from someone's posting about how good they were.

Carnival serves Coke so you're safe. They also have Mr. Pibb instead of DP if you care about that. The soda cars for a 7 day cruise is & $37 and it was $17 for my 4 day cruise in 2002. You can bring sodas on board in your suitcase or carry-on. You don't even have to smuggle it. Carnival's own paperwork states you can bring it on board. I've seen people bring small coolers w/ sodas in them. They will check them though so don't try to smuggle booze onto the ship in a cooler. That goes wrapped up inside your suitcases.

Booking. - I was told if you have a "guaranteed" rate and the rate goes down then you can call and get the lower rate. Carnival will send you a check for the difference. I was told the best way to book is to get a guarantee catagory then wait for your room info. You will either get refunds for price differences or you will get room upgrades.

I hope this info helps. I know you guys will have fun.
Old March 9th, 2004, 11:09 PM
First Mate

You might take along your mariage license to show the legal reason for the name change.

We didn't find out until the day we boarded what cabin we'd be in when we booked a guarantee...they did move us up one floor. (Last October on Glory)

This is our first time booking through a Carnival Vacation Planner...most of the posts I've read about these CVPs have been good - although there was one negative report. Our CVP was able to give us a discount that our Travel Agent couldn't or didn't think of...we
are headed out in April, too - but on the Jubilee.

If you don't go with a guarantee and book a particular cabin at a particular rate...then watch for reductions in price. Contact whomever you end up using. Carnival should refund money or you might want the amount put towards your sail and sign card for use while on board.
Old March 10th, 2004, 08:25 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: new to carnival-many questions!

If you apply now, there is no reason in over 1 month that you wouldn't receive your passport. I feel passports are the safest, easiest form of indentification, especially with the added name issue.

Natalie
Old March 12th, 2004, 06:51 PM
gfk214

Apply for a passport. My husband and I both received ours in 2 weeks last September. My travel agent did tell me to take my marriage license but I did not. Since your license has married name apply on the next business day and you should have by departure.
Old March 12th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Yeoman

You don't have to take your original marriage certificate - you can just take a copy. Chances are that you won't even be asked for it, but you might. Also, the thing about booking under nicknames or middle names is very true! Document names and Birth Certificate names have to match. I booked a couple's anniversary cruise on the Glory several months ago, and was told that the LEGAL first name was "Mary", so that's how I booked it. When they mailed me a check for final payment, I noticed that the name on the check said "Maryanne". I called the client, and sure enough....legal first name on the B/C is "Maryanne", so I called Carnival to change it. I also must tell you that I haven't had the best experience getting Carnival to adjust the price/give a refund/give shipboard credits AFTER FINAL PAYMENT has been made and the price goes down. I usually have to claw my way as high as I can go to get that done, and have not always been successful. I would also recommend getting Passports, but this happens to be the "high" season for Passport applications, as the spring/summer heavy cruising season is coming up. It may depend on where you live as to how fast you can get them. They are $85.00 per person. Your TA can tell you where to apply. Happy Anniversary, and hope you get to book that cruise!
Old March 15th, 2004, 06:11 PM
redeyedfrg

thanks for the info!
Old March 15th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Brandy

Default Re: Re: new to carnival-many questions!

Sorta freaking out here....

I booked a cruise for my mother and myself. She has been married for almost 30 years but obviously birth cert. and license don't match. Are you saying she should take her marriage certificate as well?

All help is appreciated ( I knew there was a reason I check these boards daily!!).

Thanks,
Brandy
Old March 15th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Tuscani

Brandy,
Your mom does not need to bring her marriage license. When you book the cruise you tell Carnival or your TA that her names is "First Middle Maiden Married". Then they have one last name on the BC and the other on the DL.
This is how Carnival had us do it for our Honeymoon.
I hope this helps.

Elation 020104
Holiday 103102
Old March 15th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Brandy

I already booked thru Orbitz but I will call them ASAP and let them know. Thanks so much!!!