Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Passenger

Default Carnival Destiny -- How Much to take for Drinks? and... ?

Carnival Destiny - 7 day
3/21/04

2 people going 23 / 24 yrs. old.
we drink a good bit when we go out / parties.

was wondering how much others have spent ?

and how much do they charge on tips for the entire trip? (on your sign/sail card)

how much is average drink when you are off the ship, say in a bar in aruba / st.thomas?

does carnival have alot of parties on the deck at night?

whats the best dinner time to pick?

whats an average cab / taxi cost to go to a beach when you are at a port ? any beach suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to FlawedAngel
Default Re: Carnival Destiny -- How Much to take for Drinks? and...

I believe the gratuity of drinks is 15%....my boyfriend and I are 25/24....and we were wondering how much money we would spend on alcohol, but I have decided that I won't drink too much because I have really REALLY bad hangovers, and I don't want to waste my whole trip recovering from the night before! He probably will though, cause he can recover pretty easily, so I am glad we will have seperate sail and sign cards! Someone who just got back from a Carnival cruise told my boyfriend what she did to sneak liquor on, but I don't if it is ok to say here?

Old March 10th, 2004, 05:11 PM
First Mate

Below is the answer to you tipping question.

What is the tipping policy on board?
Gratuity Guideline

Guests can pay their shipboard gratuities in one of two ways:

1. Reverse Gratuity Policy - For our guest's convenience, we automatically add the recommended gratuities to the on board Sail & Sign account on embarkation day.

The guest will have the discretion to adjust these gratuities based upon the level of service received during the cruise. This includes the option to adjust gratuities (up or down) for any individual on the Dining or Housekeeping staff. In order to do so, the guest will need to visit the Information Desk on board.

2. Pre-paid Gratuity Policy - Gratuities are pre-arranged and paid at the time of booking or any time up to two weeks prior to the sail date.

All guests on each booking must prepay the gratuities with the exception of children under two. The pre-paid gratuities can not be removed once the booking has been ticketed.

The guest will not have the option to adjust the gratuities (up or down) based on the level of service received during the cruise.

The dollar amount of the gratuities will appear in the Miscellaneous Charge field on the booking. The guest copy of the cruise ticket will indicate if gratuities have been paid.

The total amount will be $10 per guest, per day, which breaks down as follows:

$5.50 pp/pd for Dining Team Service (Headwaiter & Waiter)
$1.00 pp/pd for Bistro Service (Waiter/Cooks)
$3.50 pp/pd for Cabin Services (Cabin Steward)

Tipping the Maitre d' is strictly at the guest's discretion, based upon services rendered. For guests who wish to extend this gratuity in cash, an envelope will be available on the last evening of the cruise.

Tipping still applies regardless of the dining options selected, such as eating at the casual dining restaurant or utilizing room service.

Bar Waiters, Deck Stewards and Bellboys
Certain personnel, as noted above, may be tipped as service is rendered. A 15% gratuity is automatically added to beverage purchases which the guest may adjust appropriate to the service received.

Note: Guests under two years of age are not required to extend gratuities.
Old March 10th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I beleive most "bar" drinks are $4-$5 each plus a 15% gratuity that is added on to each drink. I would suggest checking with the purser's desk each day to see where you at with your sign & sail card. A friend, who tends to drink alot, had a $700 bar tab at the end of a 7 day cruise for two people. Didn't realize until the end how much he spent as he lost track of all those "swipes".
Old March 10th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Yeoman

About $5000.00 each should cover it. Aruba is Dutch, so you can get a good price on Heineken or Amstel, but not Bud/Coors (because it's imported). St. Thomas is US, but drink prices are about what they are on the ship. Taxi prices vary by port of call...some beaches are closer than others, and beach drinks are usually higher than ship drinks. Party hearty on the ship, but be prepared to sleep in late and deal with the cursed hangover. Actually, you'll probably spend only about $700.00 of that on ship bar tabs. The other money is to get you home if you miss the ship because of too much partying in Aruba/St. Thomas!
Old March 10th, 2004, 09:32 PM
mjohns2

On my first 7 day cruise I had a $300 tab by the 3rd day. The next 2 days I drank off the ship, cheaper, and I slept the remain 2 days after that.
Old March 10th, 2004, 11:19 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to NICKI61

We just got back from the Destiny and for the 2 of us we spent $998. We bought pictures and the tips are included in there.

Nicki
Old March 11th, 2004, 09:28 AM
First Mate

On St Thomas, the absolute value of the cruise would be to book the Kon Tiki party raft ! It's something like $34.00 each and well worth it ..
My wife and I have done this the past 5 times we were there and believe me it is FUN !
Here's the scoop -

You get on this decorated raft (not really a raft but a small barge type craft) it holds probably 150 people. There is a four piece live band that plays continuously - island type music. At the rear of the raft there are two barrels of rum punch. You serve yourself and it is ALWAYS available - totally included in the price. Most people get really fumed on the rum punch because it's very good and and and it's 151 proof .. There is a small barrel for 'virgin' punch too. Also, if the punch in the barrel is not strong enough for you there are 'pour your own' bottles of the rum on the counter. Just take it and add to your glass. This is available from the moment you get on till you get back to the ship piers.
The raft takes off and goes out around the bay to a semi secluded beach. On the way there they stop and take the covers off some bays in the middle of the boat and lower down some glass bottom viewing windows to allow you to see a bunch of fish and sometimes you can see parts of a sunken ship. All the time the music is playin and the boat is rockin ! Then you continue to the beach where you get an hour or so to lay on the sand, swim or whatever - all the time the boat is still sitting there with the punch and food available. The food - hamburgers etc, you have to pay for but it's only like 2.50 - 3.50.. there is also beer available but that is not included - beer is about 2.50 - 3.50 each. After the swim everyone gets back onboard and you head back, but ,,, this is even more fun than going there - The crew starts up a few dances that go all around the raft and they also have some limbo contests. Imagine a limbo contest with people that just had 20 151 proof rum punches and sat an hour in the hot sun or swam in the ocean... FUN !!

As to you cost question - the best value on the ship (I think) is to get a bucket of beer (3) cans in a ice bucket delivered to you on deck where you are sun bathing ! about 11- 12 bucks.. We spent on the last four cruises just around 800 850 bucks on our sign and sail and never felt like we missed anything !
Old March 11th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to hockeyluver

for 4 of us the gratuities worked out to being $78 per person for an 8 day cruise. We stuck to the daily specials which were much cheaper at $2.95 each and the kids each got a pop card, so when dad wanted a pop one of the kids would have to get it.

Next up Elation Aug 23 '10
then the Miracle again Feb 7,2011
Miracle '10
Holiday '09
Legend '09
Triumph '08
Valor '07
Triumph '06
Fascination '04
Legend '03
Old March 11th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Beginner

thanks alot for all your replies

more welcome

any advice / cost with taxis ?