Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2004, 09:18 AM
can't wait

Default AIRLINE WEIGHT LIMIT

DOES ANYONE KNOW WAHAT HAPPENS IF YOUR SUITCASES GO OVER THE 50 LBS WEIGHT LIMIT FOR A SUIT CASE. THE WAY I PACK IS TO TRY AND LIMIT THE # OF SUITCASES WHICH MEANS I DO NOT OVERPACK TO MUCH BUT MY SUITCASES DO GET A LITTLE HEAVEY. WE ARE GOING ON A 7 DAY CRUSIE WITH 2 ADULTS & 2 CHILDERN WE HAVE 3 SUITCASES & 1 SM CARRY ON. WE TRY AND LIMIT THE SUITCAES BEACUASE THE KIDS ARE TO YOUNG TO HELP OUT WITH THEM AGES 5 & 7 AND I LIKE TO KEEP MY HANDS AS FREE AS POSSIBLE TO KEEP AN CLOSE EYE ON THEM WHEN WE ARE TRAVLING TO MANY THINGS CAN HAPPEN TO SMALL CHILDERN WHO ARE VERY EXCITED IN A BIG CROWD
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2004, 09:23 AM
First Mate

Default Re: AIRLINE WEIGHT LIMIT

Depends on which airline you are on. I think most charge $25 for each overweight bag. Check the airline website, it tells there.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old March 12th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: AIRLINE WEIGHT LIMIT

If you are flying american be careful they charge a fortunate for over wieght bags. Call and make sure, we were travling internationally and they let us have 2- 70 pound bags plus a carry on per person. I am not sure what it is for domestic travlers.
Old March 12th, 2004, 11:52 AM
can't wait

Thanks
When I get my Flight information from Carnival I will check with the Airline. At this point I do not even know which airline we are flying or the times.
If it is 70 lbs we should be all set. wach adult 1 70 lbs bag and one 45 lbs blag for the two kids.
We are leaving from San Juan which I think they consider international
Old March 12th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Sherrii

Does anyone out there actually know the weight restrictions for baggage?
Old March 12th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The weight restrictions vary a bit between airlines. Best to check the web site of the airline you're flying. The info will be there!

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 12th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Yeoman

Domestic weight restrictions are usually 50 pounds per bag, with 2 bags per person for check-in. Except AirTran, which, I think, is 3 (but cruiselines don't use AirTran). can't wait - you really should consider having each of you (including kids), take a carry-on with a change of clothes, bathing suit, toiletries, and any valuables, because God knows when your large suitcases will appear at your cabin! Also, take one or two empty canvas or nylon duffle bags. Roll them up and pack them empty. That way, you'll have extra "suitcases" to hold all the junk...er...I... mean, stuff that you know you're going to buy! Then you can check them in on your flight back. Have fun!!
Old March 12th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to lgerrish

US Airways charges $25 for anything over 50 pounds. Plan on packing light and splitting the load between suitcases. (I know it would be easier to have one large suitcase to worry about instead of two).
Old March 12th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Captain

I flew on Continental in November. On our return flight our bag was over by about 3 lbs. and they charged us $25.
Old March 13th, 2004, 07:37 AM
claudia

Here is the info from American's web site. We are headed to San Juan, so we get 70 not 50...what a relief!

Dimensions, Weight and Number of Pieces

For flights wholly within the United States and between the United States and Canada
The maximum amount of baggage each ticketed passenger is allowed free of charge is:
2 pieces checked and one carry-on
Please note that one carry-on personal item (see "Carry-on Allowance") does not count toward the free bag allowance.

The size limitation of your luggage is calculated by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, that is, length + width + height.
Two checked bags at 62 in/157 cm each

One carry-on bag at 45 in/114 cm
The maximum weight per checked bag is 50 lbs/23 kgs.
The maximum weight per carry-on bag is 40 lbs/18 kgs.

For flights to/from Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands
The maximum amount of baggage each ticketed passenger is allowed free of charge is:
2 pieces checked and one carry-on
Please note that one carry-on personal item (see "Carry-on Allowance") does not count toward the free bag allowance.

The size limitation of your luggage is calculated by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, that is, length + width + height.
Two checked bags at 62 in/157 cm each
One carry-on bag at 45 in/114 cm
The maximum weight per checked bag is 70 lbs/32 kgs.
The maximum weight per carry-on bag is 40 lbs/18 kgs.

Overweight Baggage
For travel within the 50 United States and between the 50 United States and Canada, checked baggage weighing over 50 lbs/23 kgs but not more than 70 lbs/32 kgs will be charged at the rate of $25 per piece.
For travel within the 50 United States and between the 50 United States and Canada, checked baggage weighing over 70lbs/32 kgs but not more than 100 lbs/45 kgs will be charged at the rate of $50 per piece.
For overweight baggage information for all other destinations, please contact an American Airlines representative.

These charges are in addition to any charge assessed for additional or oversized baggage.

Baggage weighing more than 100 lbs/45 kgs will not be accepted as checked baggage
Old March 13th, 2004, 10:39 AM
First Mate

I know from experienece w / Continental its 50 lbs anyting over is $25.00.But they do charge more if it goes over 75 or 100 lbs. I just know I had to pay going to Florida but somehow after I shopped for all my gifts to bring home my luggage got lighter because I wasnt charged comin home (I think I lucked out somehow) good luck have fun
Old March 13th, 2004, 03:28 PM
theCoach

Great Info folks.

Question.
If traveling from Canada to Altanta to San Juan is this considered international or domestic?

Question
Why can I have 70lbs in my checked in luggage, and
40 lbs. in my carry on with nor problems, but
I can't have a checked bag only of 100 lbs without being charged for overweight?

I'l have to call my TA or Delta's website.
Old March 13th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Bungalow Bill

Part of the problem with overweight bags is potential injuries to the airline personnel from lifting heavy items.
Old March 13th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Yeoman

Canadian departure to San Juan via any US airport is definitely international. Atlanta (domestic) departure to to San Juan is also international. I'm not sure I understood the rest of your question, but you can call Delta at 1-800-221-1212. You should also call your TA.