Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Passenger

Default Embarkation in Miami

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what is the best time to arrive at the pier in Miami for a 4pm departure from port? Is earlier better i.e. 10:30 - 11:00am or is later better i.e. 1:30 - 2:00pm. Does one have more "waiting in line" time than the other?

Thanks! : )
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2004, 02:10 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Embarkation in Miami

As we love to get onboard as early as possible to begin our vacation as soon as possible, we always go to the port around 10:30/11:00ish and by the time the lines have dissipated (because this is a popular time to be there so the lines may be longer than at other times), and we have gone through the several checkpoints, it has been about an hour and Carnival will then let you on (previous passengers aren't generally even off the vessel until about 10/11ish).

We NEVER care about the wait in line because there is such wonderful positive reinforcement for waiting! I can see if the line is long as the Registry of Motor Vehicles, but a line to get on that cruise ship you've been obssessing over for months??? Nah. Unhappiness just won't happen

As far as which would be the best time to go? I can only imagine that answer changing depending on too many other factors. In general, however, those who stay in a hotel the night before embarkation have to check out by 11ish and those who fly in the very day of embarkation most likely have arranged the earliest possible flights and will also be getting to the ports around that time.

For us, seeing that crowd of people while feeling the warm Florida sun on our faces after a season of crappy weather is so exciting that we don't mind the wait.

Happy Travels,
Waters

Old March 16th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jablock
Default Re: Re: Embarkation in Miami

but a line to get on that cruise ship you've been obssessing over for months??? Nah. Unhappiness just won't happen

That's just the best way to put it!!!!

Janet

Carnival Conquest
Old March 16th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Passenger

Waters,

Thanks for your feedback! You are 100% right...the wait - whatever that may be, will be worth it.

Victory here I come... : )

Rebecca
Old March 16th, 2004, 04:50 PM
J Baker

we got to the port early and could'nt board our ship untill 1:00, so ended up sitting and waiting in the terminal lounge for a couple of hours. Next time I won't be in such a hurry to get to port.
Old March 16th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to hockeyluver

Ah but I think its worth the wait!! and a little piece of mind knowing that you are there and dont have to worry about traffic or a breakdown, late plane whatever.

Next up Elation Aug 23 '10
then the Miracle again Feb 7,2011
Miracle '10
Holiday '09
Legend '09
Triumph '08
Valor '07
Triumph '06
Fascination '04
Legend '03
Old March 16th, 2004, 06:07 PM
First Mate

Guess it varies. We got there about 12 noon and boarded quickly and easily.
Bobbie
Old March 16th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Passenger

good question! (and good answers! ;-) )

can I ask about where you're waiting before embarking? Can you "sign in" or whatever and then wander around outside? Can you check your bags & stuff & then come back?

Normally, I don't even mind waiting a long time at airport gates, but for this trip, we have an energetic 4 year old and an easily bored 2 year old, and the shuttle from the hotel leaves for the port at 9am. Are we going to go totally nuts?
Old March 17th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Passenger

Triptakers,

I'm actually staying at the Sheraton Biscayne Bay the night before, so I'll have to decide if I want to do most of my waiting at the hotel or at the pier. As for checking your bags and then wandering around - the impression I'm getting from what others have been saying is that once your bags are there and your doc's are checked you are herded into a huge waiting area to await boarding. Maybe someone can clarify this for you as this is my first cruise too.

Good luck and happy cruising!

RS
Old March 17th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Victory 1/25/04 arrived at the port 11:15. Got our picture taken w/ the Victory Sign and the time 12:20 then on board.