Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Captain

Default Scooters in Cozumel

Has anyone rented scooters there and what was your experience.
1. Approx cost for a day???
2. Can you safely leave them at a spot and go shopping or swimming?
3. Anything you would have done differently????

Thanks in advance......

Jo

Sensation

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2004, 01:58 PM
ElationismyShip

Default Re: Scooters in Cozumel

I've never rented a Scooter but I've seen plenty of them crashed on the side of the road (especially in Grand Cayman & Cozumel). Their drivers are not like us in the US and their roads leave much to be desired. I would highly recommend not renting the scooters, every cruise ship I've been on always has a least one scooter crash in each port - and needless to say, the injuries are not just little cuts and bruises.
Old March 16th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Captain

YIKES....THANKS FOR THE INFO....GUESS THAT'S OUT!!!!!

Sensation

Old March 16th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Passenger

Joie,

The scooter's are cheap to rent, but I wouldn't advise you to go this route. Driving in Cozumel can be crazy especially when there's alot of traffic in the downtown area, the streets are one way one minute and not the next and people in cars have a hard time seeing the scooter's. Like you, I was interested in renting scooter's in Cozumel for a trip I took this past Septmeber, so I went out to a web board on Cozumel to inquire about the cost etc. and almost every single person on it told me not to rent them and most had personal stories about accidents and even deaths involving scooter's. Alot of the people on the web board actually lived in Cozumel, so that impressed upon me the wisdom of they're words even more. My suggestion if you really want to explore more of Cozumel than just the city/dock area, would be to rent a convertible car or jeep, as you still get to enjoy the open air feel, but you have a little more metal around you to help keep you safe. Hope this helps...

Have a great time! : )

Rebecca
Old March 16th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Passenger

Joie, I also am inclined to vote against renting a scooter in Cozumel. We were there last September and rented a little red VW Bug convertible. It cost us $32.00 for the day. (Plus we had to fill it back up with gas.) We had a blast. You can go to any of the beaches for as long as you want (we loved Mr. Sancho's - great margarita's and food - we stayed there for about 3 hours) then take off around the whole island and end up downtown to shop if you want before you head back to the ship. They gave us a map that told where everything was located. They have ruins that you can drive through also. (Not much to see there, I didn't think.) Little restaurants and shops at stop-off places all the way around. It was lots of fun. The scooters were on a little dirt path along the side of the road, in most places, and on the road put-putting along in others. People would drive right up behind them - would have scared me to death! Lots to do - HAVE FUN!!
Le

Old March 16th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Admiral

Scooters are by nature dangerous and many are not well maintained so you must be very careful. In addition the roads are quite iffy at best in many areas of Cozumel. We rented scooters in GC a couple weeks ago with out group and while we had fun there were noted problems with the equipment. Mine you could not use the rear brake at all as it would lock up. I have been riding for almost 40 years and did so as my profession for years, and I have instructed motorcycle riding classes so I managed but I would not have wished this scooter on anyone else. A friend who looked to me to be able to ride quite well, so well in fact that I was not concerned when we rode close together side by side, developed a serious problem with the turning and actually ran off the road and fractured his collarbone as well as having lots of cuts and bruises so take note. They can and sometimes do bite you and sometimes seriously. This was in GC and even I would not consider Cozumel to rent one.
Jim

Old March 17th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Captain

Thanks for the input....will try another idea.............
Happy cruisin' all

Sensation