Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2004, 10:53 PM
scheek

Default New Orleans parking

Cruising on the Conquest July 18th. Wondering where the best place to stay is and what the cheapest way to park would be.
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2004, 06:03 AM
bill123

Default Re: New Orleans parking

leave your car at the hotel you are staying at then have the hotel either shuttle you or take a cab, parking at the pier for the week is 100 bucks. the hotel usually doesnt mind as long as you move it to the back of the lot and dont take up one of their front parking spots all week. ask before you book and find a hotel that will alow it.
Old March 17th, 2004, 06:30 AM
SLS

Exactly what Bill said. It's $13 a day at the pier or the Fulton Street Garage. They won't let you in the pier parking lot until close to noon so we ended up parking on a side street and waiting an hour.

sls
Old March 17th, 2004, 09:55 AM
scheek

Thanks I appreciate it! Where would be a good place to stay? We are going down the day before! Did I mention cheap!
Old March 17th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Port of New Orleans parking was $12 a few weeks ago, $84 for the week. If you are only coming in 1 day early- it is more important that you have a good location for your hotel for touring in the short time you are there. Most all large hotels have parking, although none cheap. If you just need 1 bed, consider Priceline. I am VERY selective of where I stay - greatly preferring the French Quarter but only between, Canal, Royal and the River. The Central business District has quite a walk to most FQ activities and is dead at night. Warehouse and Garden District are out for me- again I want to be able to walk to anywhere in the FQ for my activities. And there are plenty far more than just Bourbon St.. Determine what are your touring priorities???
Old March 17th, 2004, 11:42 AM
SCHEEK

What hotels have free parking that would allow you to leave your vehicle there?
Old March 17th, 2004, 11:51 AM
bill123

you would just have to call around and ask
Old March 17th, 2004, 03:54 PM
morick

Default Re: Re: New Orleans parking

Sheek:

Our TA booked us at the Best Western Landmark. We can leave our car and they will shuttle us to the pier and back. The pier is about 7 miles away. Great price for 65 a night! And my agent has used this hotel before personally.
Old March 17th, 2004, 03:57 PM
SCHEEK

Thanks, I appreciate your input!
Old March 17th, 2004, 04:00 PM
morick

Quite welcome! Good luck!
Old March 17th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Admiral

Sorry, but the Best Western Landmark on Rampart is in a poor location. Bad area to be walking in at night. Per the web site parking is $15/day?? Do you mean the Avalon location?? This is only good for a night's sleep, not convenient for any touring.
Old March 18th, 2004, 06:23 PM
morick

The hotel is on Severn Ave, Metairie and like I said our TA has stayed there with a group before. We don't plan on doing anything there but sleeping. We will drive ourselves to tour the FQ and a few other places.
Old March 18th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Yeoman

Metarie is a (very nice) suburb of NO, and nowhere near the pier or FQ. Since Carnival and RCI both cruise out of NO, (and I'm a part time TA,) I honestly don't know of any hotel near the pier that will allow free parking for the duration of the cruise, because many of my clients have asked. That pier area is right next to the FQ, and parking is at a PREMIUM! You're boarding on a river - not a seaport like Miami. Last year at this time, it was $10.00 a day for single car parking. It's now jumped to $12.00, and oversized (RV) vehicles pay double. The Julia St. pier parking area just isn't that big, because you've got the Riverwalk Mall and the Aquarium right next to it. And - trust me. If you try to leave your car at either of those places, you won't find it when you get off the ship. Most of our clients have about a 6-hour drive to NO, and I usually advise them to drive over the day before and spend the night on the way there in a cheaper roadside motel off of I-10 and way outside of NO. If you drive yourself to the FQ, be prepared to pay a LOT for daily parking just outside the FQ. Just trying to tell it like it is!
Old March 18th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have seen (online) some hotels that offer Park and Stay packages for cruising customers but don't remember which ones at the moment. We are sailing July 26th and I was going to keep watching here for any good hotel suggestions.

Old March 18th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Yeoman

Yes, there are some, but you will probably pay a premium for the hotel. Keep searching on-line, though. Hopefully, you'll find something!
Old March 18th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Passenger

Try the Doubletree Lakeside. They have a special for $99 that you can leave your car parked there for free all week and will shuttle you to and from the cruise terminal. The hotel is on Lake Ponchatrain around 5-10 miles from port.
Old March 18th, 2004, 09:54 PM
morick

As long as we stay more than one night at the BW their parking is free. This may be something only offered to travel agencies, I don't know. We do have a copy of the letter sent to our agent just in case. Thanks for the info on Metairie!
Old March 18th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Yeoman

I don't think you'll have a problem with the BW in Metarie, and I'm sure you can leave your car there. You might want to call them, though, and find out the shuttle/taxi price to the Julia St. pier, and see if you can get a flat rate for your group. They'll probably arrange it for you, too. You'll love the Conquest! Huge ship, popular itinerary, and in July....think really hot and humid! Hope you have a great time!
Old March 19th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Luvjoy1948

I am staying in Metairie at the LaQuinta on Veterans Blvd. The cost is only around $65.00 per room plus tax. I then plan to drive to the port the next day and park my car. My mother is handicapped so I am hoping that I can drop her off close to the ship before attempting to park the car. Any suggestions. Thanks a lot. Toni
Old March 22nd, 2004, 02:40 PM
scheek

Thanks everyone so much!
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

We parked at the Fulton Street garage across from the Convention Center and rode their shuttle to the terminal. We rode the shuttle back after the cruise. It was $84 for the 7 days. No headaches. NO ONE has free parking.
The FSG is easy, easy easy to get to and get out of.
Still- I found a list of other parking options. Hope this helps. Please share this with others.

PORT OF NEW ORLEANS CRUISE INFORMATION
Cruise Lines Homeported in New Orleans
Julia Street Cruise Terminal

PARKING
On-Site Parking: Immediately adjacent to the cruise terminal, the Port operates a patrolled, fenced, and lighted outside parking lot (no height restrictions) for cruise passengers only, for length of voyage only. Parking in this lot is $12 per day for the length of voyage. Cost is $84 for a seven day cruise, cash only on arrival, no credit cards, no checks, no reservations, no refunds for early departure. RV's pay according to number of spaces occupied (i.e., two spaces equal $168).

Off-Site Parking: The Port has reached agreements with the following private lots along Convention Center Blvd. that will charge cruise passengers the Port's rate of $12 per day:

Fulton Street Garage Convention Center Blvd. and North Diamond St. - covered parking, pay on departure - must show cruise ticket upon entering - shuttle bus back to terminal

"Whale" Lot Convention Center Blvd. and Julia St. - outside lot, pay on departure - must show proof of cruise and give baggage tag - adjacent to Terminal 2 and two blocks from Terminal 1

Hilton Hotel Lot Convention Center Blvd., adjacent to Whale Lot - covered parking, pay on departure - must show proof of cruise and give baggage tag - one black from Terminal 2 and three blocks from Terminal 1

WTC Lot
Poydras St. adjacent to Hilton Hotel - covered parking, pay on departure - must show proof of cruise and give baggage tag - three blocks from Terminal 2 and four blocks from Terminal 1

PK1 Lot
Convention Center Blvd. past Calliope St., outside parking, pay on departure - six blocks from Terminal 2 and five blocks from Terminal 1
Old March 24th, 2004, 01:50 PM
SCHEEK

Thanks, you have all been so great!