Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2004, 12:48 PM
len123

Default Legend... excursions

Has anyone been on the Legend that has gone to Panama, Costa Rica and Belize?
What were your experiences with the excursions? How was Carnival's excursion through the Panama Canal? Is it interesting/engaging for children who are 8 and 10 years old? Any feedback will be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Legend... excursions

We have done that route onboard the Spirit and loved it. So much so that we are repeating that route onboard the Legend this weekend. Yes the excursuions are very interesting but if it will appeal to your kids is something that you would be able to best answer as you know them. Read the excursions discription and decide if your kids would appreciate it. If the are looking for something new and interesting and educations they will be fascinated, If they are looking for the theme park type rides they will not be happy.
Jim

Old March 18th, 2004, 11:43 AM
The Hills

Hi There:

Just got off the Carnival Legend on March 12th. We had our 5 1/2 year old daughter and 8 1/2 year old son with us.

In Belize we took the Shark Ray Alley Tour and it was great. The speed boat ride over was very bumpy but the kids thought it was as good as any amusement park ride. Just don't side at the back of the boat or you will think we signed up for the whitewater rafting trip. Make sure you have small US bills as they don't always have US change. Wait until the ship is almost leaving to negotiate your prices on the wooden carvings from the vendors on the beach. We got a wooden stingray for $21.00 US. Trips was around $90.00 per person for 7 hours, and included lunch. Bring an underwater camera for sure.

In Costa Rica we took the Torangeau Canal Tour and saw monkeys, sloths, lots of birds. The vendors at the pier have great wooden salad bowl and 6 smaller bowls for only $25.

In Panama we took the Aerial Tram Ride/Eco Tour and the kids enjoyed the butterfly aviary, the Embara Indian Village. Be sure to check out the shopping district in Panama. I bought a beautiful carved rain stick with a carved face and carved frog sitting on the rainstick for only $20 US and my son loves it. There were different carvings on each rainstick. When getting off the ship elevator head straight ahead and we found the rainsticks in the second store away from the roadway in front of you on your left. They were in a bsket right at the door. I am sorry I didn't pick up a few more! Not to be missed.

I do have the listing and prices of all the shore excursions so email mail me and I can possibly fax it to you. Most trips run anywhere between $70 - $90 per person and some have kids prices.

email: kathyhill@rogers.com
Old March 18th, 2004, 03:42 PM
The Hill's

Shore Excursion Info:
Belize:
Altun Ha & Belize City Tour
Old March 18th, 2004, 03:55 PM
The Hill's

Correction - Tour Prices:

Belize:

Shark Ray Alley Tour - 7 hours $79 Adult/$64.50 kids
Altun Ha & Belize City - 4.5 hours $45.00 Adult/$35.50 kids
Altun Ha Maya Site/River Wallace - 6 hours Adults $65/Kids $47.25
Belize City Tour - 2.5 hours - Adult $33/kids $28.50
Biking in Belize - 6 hours - Adult/Child $49.00
Belize Zoo & City Tour - 4.5 hours Adult $49/kids $38.00
Cave Tubbing & Rain Forest Exploration - $7.5 hours - Adult/kids $89
Horseback Adventure - 7 hours - Adult/kids $88.00
Goff's Caye Snorkelling - 4 hours - Adult $57/kids$46.50
Xunantuncih Maya Site - 7 hours - Adult $65.00/kids $49.50
Diving Excursions - 5 hours - $165 with equipment / $145 no equipment
Thriller Powerboat Ride - 5 hours - Adult $85/kids$78
Barrier Reef Snorkel & Beach Break - 3.5 hours - Adult/kid $75.00
Caye Chapel Gold Resort - 5 hours $225.00

Limon , Costa Rica (I have the rest of the tours if interested)

Tortuguero Canals - 4 hours - Adult $84/kids $75

Colon, Panama (I have the rest of the tours if interested)

Aerial Tram & Ecological Adventure - 5.5 hours - Adult/kid $99

email me at kathyhill@rogers.com
Old March 20th, 2004, 12:28 PM
len123

I emailed you I do not know if you received it or not. If not, thanks for all the great info.

A question about the Shark Ray Alley tour........ Do I understand this correctly?????..It takes an hour and a half to get there. Then there is snorkeling for a few hours... Then we are transported some place for lunch and sightseeing.....THe tour is 7 hours. Am I correctly perceiving this?? Did your children snorkle?????
THanks for your feedback.
Old March 21st, 2004, 07:36 AM
First Mate

My wife and I were on the Legend last Dec. We went on the cave tubing excursion in Belize and had a blast. In Costa Rica we went on the Jungle pontoon boat, it was fun but not very adventurous. And we took the ferry up the canal, again not very adventurous but very interesting.
Old March 21st, 2004, 10:34 AM
The Hill's

Default Re: Re: Legend... excursions

Shark Ray Alley:

The 1 1/2 hour boat ride was half the fun, and went by fast as you were looking at lots of things, getitng your snorkel gear and we even stopped to see some dolphins which were feedign around the lobster traps by Caye Caluker.'

Both my 8 1/2 and 5 1/2 both went snorkelling. The 5 1/2 had some trouble as the waves were a little rough but she still enjoyed it. the 8 1/2 follwed the tour as we swam out towards the barrier reef and saw stingrays, schools of fish, and a barracuda.
I purchased a set of masks and snorkels at Walmart before I went so the kids could practice in a local pool and used the tour boat fins.

Snorkelling is about an hour and then you are off to San Pedro where you have about 2 hours to have lunch (barbequed chicken, rice, fresh fruit, and punch. You can actually get a map of the stores on San Pedro is you search the internet.

It is really nice to just sit by the beach and enjoy a cool refeshing beverage.

On the way back the tour boat stopped at the "Manatee Reserve" to see if we could see any but no luck.

The price was $79 for adults and $64.50 for kids.

Well worth the money and a great place to enjoyed a new port. The town is very simple so don't go expecting a St. Thomas island and I am sure you will have fun. They have ice cream shops if you are still hungry.

If you have any other questions please feel free to email me at :
kathyhill@rogers.com