Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Me2

Default La Romana....PLEASE HELP

I have no idea what to do while at La Romana and we're going in a week.......Family of 5 with 2 little ones.....IDEAS GREATLY APPRECIATED..........THANKS
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:40 AM
mardaho

Default Re: La Romana....PLEASE HELP

We'll be there too
and not really sure of what to do
we'll probably just wait and see what excursions are availabel
Old March 19th, 2004, 09:53 AM
theCoach

Check with Carnical's website under shore excursions.

They offer a few only but are interiesting. If you're there in the evening you can catch the Kandela Shoe (may not be exciting for children). Or a countryside tour or a safari adventure.

I've heard some people mention they went to spend the dayat Casa del Campo.
Old March 19th, 2004, 12:54 PM
First Mate

We really enjoyed the Altos de Chavon Riverboat and Artist Village excursion.

RCL x5: Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas

Celebrity x1: Century

Princess x3: Caribbean Princess x3, Dawn Princess

NCL x1: NCL Spirit
Old March 21st, 2004, 02:25 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: La Romana....PLEASE HELP

We are thinking about taking a taxi to Bayahibe. Small Fishing town, beaches, some restaurants... Not many options. I read that one of the comedians on the ship made a joke that Casa de Campo means "stay on ship" in english.

Paradise 3/28
Old March 23rd, 2004, 07:13 AM
LHP

Mike: Be sure and let us know what you all did and how it went. I must admit, I am spoiled by the ease with which you can catch a taxi in Cozumel and have a dozen waiting for you when you are ready to go somewhere else.

From what I have read, LaRomana seems to be more on the line of having a taxi wait a couple of hours (at around 10.00 an hour) while you enjoy the beach or shopping etc.

Have a great time and leave us some pizza for 6/6/04!!!
Old March 23rd, 2004, 12:08 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: La Romana....PLEASE HELP

We didn't do any pre-planned shore excursion, instead we made our own adventures, and had a blast! The shore excursions tend to be pricey, and with a family of 4 or more, it can really add up. In every port there are taxi drivers you can negotiate with in terms of where you want to go, and a set price. In St. Lucia, instead of paying 55.00 each to get a tour, we paid a cab driver (George - FUN!) 25.00 for a 2.5 hour tour.

In La Romana, we were taken to Bayhibe beach and it was absolutely gorgeous! Good swimming, nice white sand, etc. There is a thatch hut shopping area with various vendors, and the best thing is, they don't walk up to you vending n the beach as they did in other areas. You can leisurely walk in the shopping area on the beach to pick up some good deals. Of course, the vendors will call you in and try to sell you, but do a loop before you commit as they mostly have the same things. There is a man there named Joaquin who makes hats out of palm frond. He made two for me in under a half hour. They are a great gift for someone at home. I brought two back for my people here in Alabama, and they LOVE them. When I forst inquired about the cost, a woman said 35.00, and then Joaquin said 20.00, so I got 2 for 35.00.

Also in Bayhibe is an open air BBQ stand with some of the best BBQ I ever had. We had a nice piece of BBQ Chicken, red beans, rice, and a frosty beer for under 5.00 each! DO check out the BBQ for lunch; they also have BBQ'd lobster, etc. The beach area open to the public is relatively small, so you'll find what I describe in one area as the beah is surrounded by two rpivate Sandal type resorts which are defined by the color of their lounge chairs. Hint: You be asked to leave if you try to lounge in the private area as the guests are identified by their wrist bands, and with your Carnival beach towels, you'll stand out like a neon banner!

"Nibblin' on sponge cake, watchin' the sun bake, all of those tourists covered with oil....."

Have fun!

Also, those traveling two or less, try to hook up with others going to Bayhibe to share the fare as it is 45.00 round trip and it helps a lot. They will wait 2 hours for you, and add an estra 10.00 for eah hour you stay, which is actually not bacd shared by 4 or more.