Old March 20th, 2004, 09:20 AM
voss749

Default How formal is formal for formal night?

I plan on wearing a jacket, slacks and a polo shirt and nice shoes for formal night is
that fine?

I know some guys dont want to spend the money for a jacket and slacks...
so heres an interesting suggestion...go to the thrift store and buy one.

I know some people snicker, but I found a foreman jacket that fits me well and looks good and a pair of haggar slacks for about $12 in pristine condition. That sure beats spending $150-200 on a suit youre going to wear twice.
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise
Default Re: How formal is formal for formal night?

Thats ok, are you planning to wear a tie? I'd suggest it, its great to have a formal picture with it.
I personally wear a suit to each formal night and maybe one time when its not formal night. I applaud you for making an effort to look really good as opposed to some people.

Old March 20th, 2004, 10:07 AM
voss749

I havent felt comfortable wearing a tie
A) because Im going on my own and have never been able to tie a tie
B) Because the clip ons are not long enough for me(Im 6'4)

...It also requires a dress shirt.

I figure I can just wear a jacket over a nice pullover polo shirt.
Old March 20th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise

Yeah that is perfectly okay. By the way tying a tie is actually quite easy with a bit of practice.

Old March 20th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

my hubby wore slacks and a buttoned short-sleeved shirt - no tie, no jacket. us girls wore church dresses. my oldest daughter enjoys dressing up a bit more formal, so she looked the best of all of us. you will see a wide variety on formal night. just be comfortable - it's your vacation you know. they're not gonna kick you off the ship.
Old March 20th, 2004, 11:30 AM
George Alex

I dont know. I think it also depends on the ship. The first time we went on Carnival was on the Legend. They say Carnival is all fun and lights everywhere like Las Vegas. We went on the Legned and the ship is more serious and looks more luxurios then other Carnival Ships. It even reminded me of how the Titanic looks in the movie. Alot of beautiful wood with gold and alot of chandaliers. I felt I had to dress very formal. Like other cruise lines like Seabourn or Cunard.
Old March 20th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Captain

It is only 2 nights on a 7 day cruise...
It is an evening to experience fine dinning with others...
I dressed up in a sport coat & tie, my wife was in a full length dress...
We stayed dressed up that evening as others did...
A lot of pictures are taken on the formal nights that you can purchase later....

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old March 20th, 2004, 12:13 PM
ctmak

I wore a suit. I think a jacket, dress shirt, tie, and a nice pair of slacks is fine. However, without a jacket and tie I think you would be underdressed.

This is just one man's opinion, but you see many posting regarding formal nights on these boards. In those you will see messages that say something like, "It's my vacation, I paid my money, I will dress however I want." Frankly, I think this is the wrong attitude. Carnival provides information on how to dress (suit/ tuxedos for men on formal nights). As a passenger, that's what I expect. The vast majority of passengers in my experience follow the guidelines. The handful who don't look silly in my opinion. If one doesn't want to follow the published guidelines, my view is perhaps one should seek a vacation elsewhere where there are no such guidelines.

Again, just my opinion.

Have a terrific cruise.

CTMak
Old March 20th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I feel like an old fart saying this, even though I'm only 31. But do people have no sense of decorum any more? Is it really that hard for adults to dress themselves?

I'm not speaking just of the original poster, to whom I mean no offense (although I must say that any grown man should know how to tie a tie). But threads like this are started all the time, and I'm amazed at the number of people who can't or won't dress nicely for just a couple of meals.

Regardless of what Carnival will or will not allow, it is a social faux pas to fail to follow their guidelines for dress. The dress code, according to Carnival, is "formal." Normally, "formal" means a tux for guys. However, I've learned that in the case of some of the more casual cruise lines (including Carnival), a suit and tie are considered to be formal enough.

Now, I know that some people just don't want to wear clothes like this. The good news is, those folks have other options. Casual dining is available elsewhere on the ship. I would encourage those who refuse to dress up to explore those options rather than dragging down atmosphere of the dining room for those of us who want to have one or two nights in a classier atmosphere.
Old March 20th, 2004, 12:40 PM
voss749

Im 33, Not all of us have leave it to beaver dads to teach us how to tie a tie or change the oil in our car or Leave it to beaver moms to teach us how to dance. The same way not all girls these days know how to sew or cook, the skills arent being taught anymore.

The "grown man" remark was a cheap shot and really uncalled for.

In any event, most of the ties they sell in the stores are typically too short for me anyway.
Anyway, Im not talking about dressing shabbily...Im talking about a Foreman silk jacket and nice Haggar slacks and a Ralph Lauren polo shirt and leather shoes.
Old March 20th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Yeoman

voss749 - I think it's good that you've already taken the formal night into consideration, and have planned for it! One of the things that might make a difference is the ship and the number of nights you'll be cruising. I'll just give you a "Ball Park", and say that the newer ships with 7-day itineraries and two formal nights generally have a higher standard. Shorter cruises show a lot of leeway. Anyway, good for you for planning for your formal night (a lot of people don't)! What ship, date, and itinerary will you be doing? You'll definitely look better than the inevitable guy that shows up in jeans and a T-shirt!
Old March 20th, 2004, 02:19 PM
voss749

Im going on the Paradise for Western Carribean tommorow...Im leaving for Miami sometime this afternoon(I live in South Flordida, but I will be staying overnight in Miami and leaving my car for the week at the hotel).

I called Carnival and they seemed to think that a Jacket, Polo shirt(a shirt with a collar and buttons) and Slacks would be fine. The lady on the phone seemed to think the ship
did in fact matter as to how strictly formal you have to be.

However, apparently I may do the lido deck buffet anyway on the formal nights if the food is not all that.
Old March 20th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: How formal is formal for formal night?

"Not all of us have leave it to beaver dads to teach us how to tie a tie or change the oil in our car or Leave it to beaver moms to teach us how to dance."

My mother divorced my father when I was too young to remember it, and married a jerk (from whom she's now divorced). Neither my father, who was emotionally distant and rarely saw me, nor my stepfather taught me ANYTHING. My mother worked full-time, often leaving me to fend for myself.

"Leave it to Beaver"? Hardly.

"The 'grown man' remark was a cheap shot and really uncalled for."

I really don't think it was.

I'm sorry if you disagree, but I believe there are certain things a grown man should be able to do. Changing the oil in his car isn't necessarily one of them (I don't know how to do that myself). But understanding social codes of dress is one of them, as is knowing how to tie a tie (and knowing that a clip-on tie is absolutely unacceptable for adults). If you don't know how to tie a tie, just look on the Internet and you'll find step-by-step directions. Practice until you get it right. At this age, you can't blame your upbringing; the ability is yours to learn how to do this.

As for the recommended attire, this is from Carnival's Web site:

"Casual attire is the order of the day, both on board and ashore. For one or two nights, a dark suit or formal attire is suggested. The dress code for other evenings ranges from sport coat and tie to casual resort wear. For Alaska and Canada cruises, sweaters, lightweight jackets and raincoats are suggested.

Note: Shorts and T-shirts are not permitted in the dining room area during dinner."

I'm a cruising newbie, so I'm not in a position to comment on how or whether this fluctuates based on the length of the cruise or other factors.
Old March 20th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Parrothead quoted Carnival's answer to the original question. A suit or tux on formal night.

But if your question is really "can I get away with something else" the answer is yes. People will wear anything and everything on formal night. Obviously some of us aren't too thrilled that the folks who dress down bring the formal evening down as well.

Will it ruin my cruise? Nope.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old March 21st, 2004, 08:47 AM
mkend

Hi, I bought my husband a zipper tie. You just pull it like a zipper- it's really easy- you can find them on e-bay or at some men's stores. My husband and son love them. They come in different sizes and styles. Hope this helps-check it out!!!!!!!!
Old March 21st, 2004, 10:49 AM
Captain

When I was younger I had a friend who couldn't tie a tie.... He had several ties already tied by someone alse with a large loop in them... He would just slip it over his head & cinch it up.... More than one way to skin a cat..!!

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:12 PM
Tom Daoust

luv your rose.

Tom
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:26 PM
elationismyship

Why do these threads always become personal - give it up people! "a grown man should be able to tie a tie" was cheap shot, it didn't need to be said. Weather or not a grown man could tie a tie was not part of his original post. So what if he can or can not tie a tie and a polo, jacket, nice slacks and dress shoes will look great.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:01 PM
First Mate

Because our dress code request does not work for some people we are now
Introducing Carnival newest ship "GARDEN OF EDEN"
No clothes required in the dining room on regular nights.
We do ask that you wear a fig leaf on formal nights.

I'm just kidding guys, wanted to bring a little humor in on the situation. Happy Cruising to all!!!
Old March 23rd, 2004, 07:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry for those who are offended, but I stand by my statement. A grown man most certainly SHOULD be able to tie a tie. And the fact that the original poster can't IS germane to the discussion, because that's a reason he gave for not wanting to wear one during the formal nights.

I try my best to be polite, but sometimes ya gotta call a spade a spade--even if it ruffles someone's feathers.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:54 AM
First Mate

I packed my husband a suit. His biggest complaint before leaving was about formal nights. He didn't want to pack and wear a suit, but I did it anyway. On the Elation, which was extremely in fact surprisingly informal on the other five nights, it was extremely dressy on formal nights. I would say at least 90% of the ship was very, very dressy. I saw a lot of tuxes and long gowns, followed by suits with ties and dressy cocktail dresses.

A jacket and slacks will work fine, however, try to splurge for a shirt and tie. You would get in fine with polo shirt and jacket, but I'm thinking you would feel very out of place. Just my opinion no attacks please!!!!

Natalie

Old March 23rd, 2004, 06:06 PM
ctmak

Just 2 more points and I hope this thread comes to an end.

1, I can't believe all the posts about tieing ties;

2. Every grown man should know how to tie a tie. Sorry. Gotta call 'em like I see 'em.

CTMak
Old March 23rd, 2004, 06:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was starting to think I was the only person who felt that way...
Old March 26th, 2004, 10:44 PM
sidsammy

To the original poster, go for what you planning. From my experience, observing others, you will probably be a cut above. Yeah, there are some people who really observe the "suggestions". But those people are very few. Based upon what the expected dress is supposed to be, I've seen attire I wouldn't want to see in any fast food restaurant. And for anyone up in arms about this, I admit, for the most part, most people dress up "a bit". They are probably there, but I don't recall ever seeing a tux on a Carnival cruise. Some suit and ties, or sport coats and ties, and a whole lot of the others. The only cruise I saw a tux on formal nights was a Celebrity cruise. Our tablemates were very classy and very nice. They wore tuxedoes. My husband and my friends husbands wore suits and ties. They all looked great and everyone thought everyone looked just fine. (By the way, my husband was a professional and did have to wear ties on a daily basis. He wasn't too hot on tying ties either. He tied them once and hung them up for whenever he wore them). I'll bet the original poster wished he never asked. He was doing fine before all this. Now he is going onto a cruise with a complex which is undeserved. I just hope he has a great cruise!!!!
Old March 26th, 2004, 11:47 PM
darlenenjake

Fiance will be wearing Black Dress Pants, White Dress Shirt and Tie with black dress shoes... is this ok... unable to find a jacket will he be really out of place or ok.... I will be wearing black skirt/silky shirt and heals....
Old March 27th, 2004, 02:57 PM
First Mate

I was just on a Carnival cruise last week--I was very surprised as the other 5 nights were super casual--but on formal night we saw a lot of tuxes and gowns. Followed by suits, jackets and ties, long and short cocktail dresses. There were very few exceptions.

As I said on another post, I think it depends on the ship and/or the crowd that week!

Natalie

Old March 27th, 2004, 10:34 PM
JOANNA

I THINK WE SHOULD ALL FOLLOW THE RULES AND PLAN ON DRESSING "FORMAL" ON THE FORMAL NIGHTS!
I HAVE BEEN ON A FEW CRUISES AND TRUST ME....FORMAL IS WHAT YOU WILL SEE ON THE FORMAL NIGHTS.... JUST MAKE BELIEVE YOU ARE GOING TO A VERY NICE WEDDING...YOU WILL BE HAPPY YOU DRESSED UP SINCE 98% OF THE PASSENGERS WILL BE DRESSED IN THEIR FINE FORMAL WEAR!
THE 2% THAT DONT DRESS WILL KIND OF FEEL OUT OF PLACE.....

BON VOYAGE!
CARNIVAL GLORY 7/10/04
Old March 28th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Zipper ties

Zipper ties?? And you would hang this from what part of the body?
Old March 28th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Regarding ties. I'm a bit surprised that a 30 something man has made it this far in life never having the need to wear a tie. Never been to a wedding? A funeral? The theater? What I would suggest is to go to a nice men's store and pick out a couple of dress shirts and ties, just to complete your wardrobe. The salesman will be happy to show you how to knot your tie. That's exactly how I learned--back in high school.
You can even have the salesman tie it on you, then slip it off over your head still tied. That way you can pack the tie and just slip in on for formal night.
Old March 28th, 2004, 04:19 PM
polyfan

If someone elses dress will ruin your evening I am so sorry that is all that you have to think about. I could careless what someone else is wearing, I am there to enjoy my vacation and that doesn't depend on anyone else. as for being a grown man- I would hope that a grown man could change his own oil.