Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to AOKTOUCH
Default Debarking the Elation in Galveston after cruise.

Can anyone tell how much trouble it is trying to find you luggage at the terminal after leaving ship?? Should we mark it in some special way??
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:43 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Debarking the Elation in Galveston after cruise.

I've not cruised yet - but I plan on using the same trick I use whenever I travel:

Get brightly colored luggage tags. While they may be tacky-looking, a bright yellow or neon green luggage tag really stands out in that sea of black luggage...

Or anything brightly colored I suppose -yarn, I've even seen people use "Police Line" tape on luggage in the past...

Just use whatever will easily catch your eye and lead to you being reunited with your bags

Hope that helps!

Old March 24th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Gal1974 Send a message via MSN to Gal1974

As someone that searched for their black piece of luggage in a sea of black luggage, the above post has the right idea!!

Something bright and poofy should work.

Carnival Celebration for my 30th birthday!!!!
Old March 25th, 2004, 06:10 AM
bill123

we always put a colored marker on the handles of all our bags, there are thousands to search through , just makes it much easier on yourself,
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:17 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Debarking the Elation in Galveston after cruise.

We just returned Sunday, the Carnival part of the debarkation is very, very smoothly run. The bags are seperated in the terminal, but your carnival colored luggage tags that you get with your paperwork and should put on before you leave home. The last day of the cruise, they are available on the ship. Since there are about 3 colors per deck the luggage is in a fairly small section, well marked, Upper Aft, Upper Forward, etc. Once in the section there might be one or two suitcases exactly the same, but just check the Carnival tag for yours.

Old March 25th, 2004, 09:21 AM
First Mate

I should add that the headaches come after you leave the terminal. Getting a shuttle to your car/hotel, etc. was just a nightmare!

Natalie

Old March 30th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Stacey39

Natalie, did you patk your car at a hotel and take a taxi? We have reservations at the Econolodge the night before and will take a taxi back to our car. They offer free parking and a 10.00 shuttle but I think it would be easier to take a taxi than to wait for their shuttle to pick you up. When we went on the Celebration last year, we had no problem getting a taxi back to our hotel.
Old March 30th, 2004, 03:42 PM
First Mate

We took the Holiday Inn's Free Shuttle. That's where the nightmare came in. Going there was fine, but you had to book it in advance. But coming home, we waiting 1.5 hours in the hot sun, and some people didn't even fit on to that shuttle!

Maybe they can arrange for a taxi to meet you upon your return or bring a phon number to call one.

Natalie

Old March 31st, 2004, 08:15 AM
Passenger

I agree with the above post, Carnival debarking portion runs smooth, it's getting the shuttle to the parking lots that is terrible, so much congestion, if they would let you take your luggage on the shuttles it would clear up so much congestion & wating. But no, a person in your party must board the shuttle (with no luggage) go get the car & then drive back to the terminal. while the other person waits with the luggage in the hot sun with the baggage handlers yelling " get to the side! get to the side!" (its a real quick back to reality jolt after being pampered on a cruise ship for a week) I must add that your car pick up person sits in the car in the left turn lane waiting quite a long time to get back to the terminal.No police are there to help with traffic when ships are debarking. you would think the Galveston Port Authorities would do something to make their portion run a smoothly as Carnival does. All this being said, I just booked my 3rd cruise out of Galveston, maybe they will have the kinks worked out by the next time I go!
Old March 31st, 2004, 10:21 AM
Stacey39

The best thing to do is to go down to Galveston the day before and stay at a hotel that lets you park for free and either take thier shuttle or take a taxi. When you get back, there are several taxis waiting. We had no problem last year, in fact it was very smooth. We stayed at the Best Western last July and we will be at the Econolodge this June. They both let you leave your car in a secured area while sailing.
Old March 31st, 2004, 12:04 PM
denise H

Hi

we put bright color pom pom on our suitecase this wht you know you have the right
one