Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2004, 08:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default tipping onboard

This will be my first cruise and want to have a great time and not worried if I'll have enough money to spend.It's on CARNIVAL'S Glory in Aug.What I need to know is how many people do ya tip and how much for each one.I've heard 2.50-3.00 , 10.00 a day .How many people do I tip? Is it 3 or 4 people at 10 a day for our 7 day trip?Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2004, 08:31 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise
Default Re: tipping onboard

Its broken up and can be adjusted, but you automatically get the tips added to your sail and sign account which you can change at any time (try during ports) at the purser's desk. The basic charge is $10 per passenger/per day for all the people you tip combined
Remember that these people DEPEND on tips. Its been said before, if you cannot afford to tip and do what you want maybe you should hold off on cruising or work more on saving up before you sail.
I'd advise you to try and do whatever you can at home to save up....whether it means buying specials at the store, skipping dessert at a restaurant, not buying or renting that movie, taking extra care to shut stuff off when you're not using it (TV's are a great example, by making sure we turned off our lights and TV's for less than a month we brough down our bill by $100.............and even MORE when we stopped using the pool heater).
I personally save wherever I can so I have plenty of money to give out the tips I feel the people deserve.
Most people if they do increase a tip i'd think it would be for the dining staff, because they are the most hands-on.

Old March 21st, 2004, 09:41 AM
Captain

You will have a $10 per person per day charge on your Sail & Sign card, you get your statement the last night as you are coming back into port..... You can adjust these amounts but I treat it as a base amount paid to those who serve you (with a smile)..... You will also get several envelopes so that you may tip EXTRA to those that have served you well, you give these tips personally to those who keep your cabin clean, your 2 waitresses at your main dinning or anyone for that matter... We always budget these extra tips & are prepared for them.... Now if you receive a frown from your waitress each day then you can adjust the personal tip.... Hope this helps....

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old March 21st, 2004, 02:47 PM
First Mate

Also, when you book your cruise you have the option of them adding the Gratuities then and there. I didn't know that my first cruise but found out later. Also, we always give the Room Steward and our waiter or waiters an extra 20 each if service was good. Also the Maitre D is not included in the tips that you prepay and therefore on the last night of the cruise before dinner they will leave you an envelope in your room to tip him or her if you wish. One night in the lounge I heard a woman (she was tipsy) complain how she need a drink now (the bartender was serving others) and that these "people" don't deserve tips. Well, I didn't say anything because she was flying high, but the 10 per day per person that we pay has to be divided to give to your room steward, your waiters and co waiters etc. They work hard for that money and deserve it. Also another tidbit of info, most of these workers send their tips they make home to their families that they don't get to see sometimes 6mts to a year or more.