Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2004, 05:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default green card/passports

So many questions....my husband holds dual citizenship (European Union/Australia) but is a green card holder in the US. Is it true that his passport will be held on the ship? I am concerned that if we miss the ship (God forbid) in a port in Mexico he will be in some trouble. Also does anyone know about the special paperwork for a non US citizen? I know if they are there more than 24 hours they need to do something. Is that 24 hours in Mexican water? Or on land?
Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2004, 06:54 PM
First Mate

Default Re: green card/passports

What is required for proof of citizenship?
U.S. Immigrations determines the correct documents guests must have in their possession in order to travel. Proper travel documentation is required throughout the cruise and is the responsibility of the guest. Anyone not having proper documentation will be denied boarding at the port of embarkation without the benefit of a refund.

U.S. security procedures require all airline and cruise line passengers 16 or older to present official photo I.D. upon check-in.

The following documentation is required in order to sail on ALL cruise departures, including Cruises-to-Nowhere.

U.S. Citizens

Passport, valid or expired less than 10 years or,
Original birth certificate and a photo I.D. or,
Certified, state issued copy of a birth certificate and a photo I.D. or,
U.S. Military I.D., valid or expired, and a photo I.D. or,
Original naturalization papers and a photo I.D.

Canadian Citizens

Valid passport or,
Original birth certificate and a photo I.D. or,
Certified, state issued copy of a birth certificate and a photo I.D. or,
Original naturalization papers and a photo I.D.

U.S. Resident Aliens

Valid Alien Resident card (green card) with photo I.D.

Aliens (Non-U.S. Citizens)

Valid passport
Valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-Entry Visa
Aliens eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program must have a valid unexpired passport

Debarking in Mexico Over 24 Hours

To debark for more than 24 hours in Mexico, guests must have obtained a Mexican Tourist Card from either a travel agent or a Mexican consulate prior to their departure. Additionally, if debarking with children, guests must have a notarized affidavit from any absent parent indicating permission to travel with the accompanying adult.

Special Notes:

1 - A photo I.D. is required of all guests 16 years of age or older. The photo I.D. does NOT have to be issued by a Driver's License Bureau or any type of Government office.

2 - U.S. and Canadian Citizens only - As long as the original birth certificate or the certified copy have been issued by the state of birth, it does not matter whether there is a raised seal of if the birth certificate is in the form of a plastic card.

3 - The name on the photo I.D. must be identical to the name on the proof of citizenship document. In the event of a name change, supporting documentation is required.

4 - Resident Aliens - Must surrender their green card at embarkation. It will be returned at Immigration check-in upon arrival back into the United States.

5 - Aliens (Non-U.S. Citizens) - Must surrender their passport at embarkation. It will be returned at Immigration check-in upon arrival back into the United States.

6 - For cruises that visit or transit Canada, citizens of some countries may require a Visa. This includes Alaska cruises and cruises from New York. Guests must check with the Canadian Consulate for documentation requirements.

7 - U.S. Resident Aliens and Aliens - Should contact the consulates of the islands/countries which they will be visiting to inquire about necessary travel documentation.
Old September 16th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Csh39

Default Re: Re: green card/passports

I appreciate reading this about birth certificates as proof of identity/citizenship. Especially the part about name change - if your name is not the same now as on your birth certificate, be sure to bring your marriage license. Wish I had time to get a passport, but I am cruising soon, and thankfully, to the Bahamas where I don't have to have a passport (yet).
Old September 17th, 2004, 09:53 AM
jamiegunter

I have never brought a marriage license. Never had a problem. But if you have that handy wouldnt hurt to take. I have no clue were ours is, guess I would have to get a new copy if I wanted to take it. By the way I have been on four cruises. Some day I am gonna get passports....
Old September 18th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Jacky

I just got back from a cruise with Ecstasy ( 4 days to Ensenada). I am a green card holder (CDN citizen) and I had no trouble at all. I even have a different name on my green card than my legal name is now. I had a copy of divorce papers showing name change. The took my green card away on boarding and gave it back to me a day before arriving back to home port. This was my first cruise and I was amazed I didnt get seasick. I will definitely be cruising more in the future.
Old September 18th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Make a copy of your passport....and carry it with you when you go onshore. That way if you are left behind or something happens, at least you have some proof of your citizenship.